2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 391 of 425 1 2 389 390 391 392 393 424 425
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Kathleen, please, please, please stick around.

Same plea from me Kathleen! No matter how this special thread develops you are, and always will be, its heart and soul.

Michael
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cruiser
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
...welcome back?

Well yes, thank you chopin_r_us!

I returned to the UK last year after living in Germany for eight years. Unfortunately I had to leave my beloved Yamaha C2M behind (sold) due to not having enough space in the new place frown

Horrors! What are you going to do??? Keyboard?? You can't go pianoless.

I've still got my old Yamaha P120 digital piano, Frycek. It will do until I get myself another acoustic which, of necessity, will be an upright of some description.

Michael
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kathleen, please, please, please stick around.

Yes, yes!

Great job, cruiser!
(Hope you don't mind being summoned back, Kathleen!) smile
Great to be seeing you here.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you all. I will stick around, but I fear I have little to post that is worthy of the highly intelligent and insightful comments that this thread has seen.

And a special thank you to Cruiser. After reading your e-mail yesterday, I practiced a nocturne that I started way back in 2008. It has been an on-again, off-again affair of the heart, but you made me determined to finally give it my all. I've only one page to learn and promised myself I would finally complete it by the end of the year. So...my gratitude to you.

And Frycek: I so often think of our time in D.C. What fun we had. Do you remember that wild commentary that MaryRose posted on this thread about me and "you know who?" How I rushed downstairs at the hotel to try to undo any damage to my reputation. Now I think about it and have a good laugh. MaryRose, for all her super qualities, can be a little devil when she wants do. But I love her dearly as I do you.

You might think of me as the "heart and soul" of this thread but it is because of all of you that I have learned so much about our hero. AND because of all of you, I went back to the piano after a few decades and was able to conquer my mental laziness. As I mentioned to Cruiser, I was able to play so much music (with hours of practice, naturally) that I astounded myself. You all inspired me and not the other way around!

So thank-you's hardly expresses how much I owe you all. heart

As always,
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Another movie I really didn't like about Chopin (I couldn't even watch it to the end): Impromptu.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

As long as we're mentioning movies -- good, bad, and beloved -- I think we have to mention Song to Remember -- considered bad by many, beloved by me. smile

It introduced me to some Chopin pieces, and sent me listening to LP after LP to find out what one of them was.

(It was:)

Sorry but I'm a sucker for stuff like that.
And at the time I had no idea about the piece being chopped up. ha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Certainly looks like he's playing the piano for real!

Here's the full film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqyM_iQius

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/01/12 12:11 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I like it when I was a kid.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano

GREAT GET!
(The whole film!?!?!? It sure is.)

(And to think that once upon a time I wasted 20 bucks or whatever buying the video cassette....) ha

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C

GREAT GET!
(The whole film!?!?!? It sure is.)

(And to think that once upon a time I wasted 20 bucks or whatever buying the video cassette....) ha

LOL videos they seem so clunky and old now- my local charity shop is full of them, I know a bloke who still has a video player though so he goes and buys them.
I watched the film earlier but have a habit of falling asleep on the couch so missed some of it.
Have you seen Immortal Beloved? ( Gary Oldman as Beethoven)?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
As long as we're mentioning movies -- good, bad, and beloved -- I think we have to mention Song to Remember -- considered bad by many, beloved by me. smile

Better than the other two movies mentioned in this thread, but I didn't fall in love with it (although at least I watched it to the end). I would call it "mediocre". The other two were a real abomination. eek

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'll give Blue Note this much though. It was the only film so far that seems to be willing to depict the reality of Chopin's illness, even though it probably did so for the wrong reasons. (Grotesquerie rather than compassion.)

[Linked Image]
....Have you seen Immortal Beloved? ( Gary Oldman as Beethoven)?

It's been on my mental 'list' forever....gotta get to it some time. smile
I've heard good things about it.

I'll give Blue Note this much though. It was the only film so far that seems to be willing to depict the reality of Chopin's illness, even though it probably did so for the wrong reasons. (Grotesquerie rather than compassion.)

What reality of it did they give? (I'm sure you know there are differing views.)

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

What reality of it did they give? (I'm sure you know there are differing views.)

The cough, extreme frailty, the fact he had to be carried upstairs, the lung hemorrhages. All documented facts, usually ignored.

[Linked Image]
The cough, extreme frailty, the fact he had to be carried upstairs, the lung hemorrhages. All documented facts, usually ignored.

Oh OK -- but not any specific diagnosis? And of course that's fine, because we don't know. The most recent theory, which I think is embraced more and more but not nearly as a consensus, is cystic fibrosis.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

Oh OK -- but not any specific diagnosis? And of course that's fine, because we don't know. The most recent theory, which I think is embraced more and more but not nearly as a consensus, is cystic fibrosis.

No, no specific diagnosis. They just weren't so coy about it that at the end he appears to die of nothing more than a bad cold (Desire for Love) or a broken heart (A Song to Remember). They were graphic enough to let you knew he was seriously ill. (Though he's still alive and with George as Blue Note ends.)

[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I have the CD Desire for Love and would love to get rid of it. So Mark, if you want it, it's yours...for free because it isn't worth anything.

Just PM me your address and I'll send it along.

Kathleen

Listening to that clip brought shivers to my spine. Lord, what music!!

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
OOOpppsss...I meant a DVD.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[quote=EdwardianPiano]....Have you seen Immortal Beloved? ( Gary Oldman as Beethoven)?

It's been on my mental 'list' forever....gotta get to it some time. smile
I've heard good things about it.

It is quite good- Gary Oldman looks quite like the Master and is believable. Not keen on the many flashbacks in it - got a bit confusing. Worth seeing though.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/03/12 10:27 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, Kathleen and Cruiser!

I do think you (all) should see Immortal Beloved if you haven't yet. Like Impromptu, it is short on factual reality, but has a kind of deep emotional truth. The theory it espouses about the identity of the "Immortal Beloved" is almost certainly wrong, but it's a great guess, and something one might wish had been true. And Gary Oldman did look scarily like the real thing. There's one portrait of a young Beethoven that looks like Oldman actually sat for it himself.

(I loved Impromptu despite its silliness. As I've probably mentioned before, it was what got me started on my still-active Chopin addiction in 1993. Whereas when I saw A Song to Rememberat the age of 14, it drove me nuts because somehow I knew most of it was horribly wrong. That was when I originally discovered that I had a connection with Our Friend, having been completely unaware of him before that.)

Frycek found this on eBay: Standup life-size Chopin cutout

They have Liszt too, and a bunch of historical figures including a collection of saints.

Elene

Page 391 of 425 1 2 389 390 391 392 393 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission