2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (7sheji, bcalvanese, Aylin, Barly, brdwyguy, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 5 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hello all. Hope everyone here is doing well.

I wanted to reach out to get some advice and figured this group would be a great way to get some honest thoughts (you guys don't hold back smile ). I've just finished the first draft of my ebook on sight reading. The method I've developed and have been teaching is different than the "Every Good Boy" way that has become the most common. What I need, before releasing this to the public, are some reviews. So what I'd like to do is offer to send it to whoever is interested, for free, and in return you give me the good, the bad and the ugly on what you think of it.

Ideally I'm looking for complete beginners to sight reading, or people who have struggled in the past (skeptics welcomed too). I'd also love to get some testimonials for the site if you're comfortable doing that, but mainly I just need some feedback, good and bad. I'm hoping to not only get a feel for what strangers think (my friends can be biased), but hopefully catch any problems before I actually launch the site and release the book.

PM me if you're interested and I can email you the book (pdf format). I will also mention that I respect your privacy and would never sell or use your email address for anything other than sending this book.

Thanks! I look forward to your feedback.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Brian
I will be teaching a friend's 6 year old boy the piano. His family still has to buy him a keyboard and today he touched C D E F G for the very first time on my piano.
Is this suitable for him ?

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
It really depends on the kid. 6 is a little young though. I've successfully taught this to kids as young as 7, but not all 7 year olds can grasp the concept. When I teach kids that young, I usually stick with traditional rote/position/1 note per finger type learning until they get to the age where both attention span lengthens and understanding of concepts starts to stick.

But if you want to look at the book, PM me your email. Happy to send it to you. Could be helpful for teaching this kid in a year or so.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks Brian. I could buy the book from you in a year or so when it's a finished product after you receive feedback from people here.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
When I teach kids that young, I usually stick with traditional rote/position/1 note per finger type learning

Does this mean, for example, C = thumb, D= 2nd finger, E = 3rd finger ?

B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by custard apple
When I teach kids that young, I usually stick with traditional rote/position/1 note per finger type learning

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. A lot easier for a young mind to understand at first.

-Brian
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Brian, I'd love your e book please- I'm a beginner and not very good at sight reading. I tried to PM you but when I click to send PMs my avatar is there filling up the whole page and obscuring everything! Does any of the mods or site techs know how to fix that please?

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 10/31/12 10:17 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
Hello Brian, I'd love your e book please- I'm a beginner and not very good at sight reading. I tried to PM you but when I click to send PMs my avatar is there filling up the whole page and obscuring everything! Does any of the mods or site techs know how to fix that please?
I just sent you a PM to see if you're able to reply.

-Brian
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by custard apple

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. A lot easier for a young mind to understand at first.

Thanks for confirming Brian. I'm not a teacher so I'm just making everything up as I go along. It's challenging for me. Fortunately that's how I taught him and his 3 year old brother yesterday.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
I just sent you a PM to see if you're able to reply.

I saw the alert but my inbox is still the same- my avatar is huge covering all- caqnnot access anything in my settings Brian- I will have to post a help to the mods.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Brian. Just realized your not having issues it's someone else.. Sending a pm your way now. I'm in my first year of learning. smile

Last edited by BeccaBb; 11/01/12 12:17 PM.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
M
M
Hi Brian.
Is there a specific date by which you would like to receive your feedback?

Mark

Ferry & Foster upright

Alfred's self teaching - Book 1
Started Mid September 2012
End Sept - Page 39
End Oct - Page ??
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by MonkeyMark
Is there a specific date by which you would like to receive your feedback?

Hi Mark. One of the things I'm interested in is how long it takes a person to go through the book and absorb the material. The easier it is to read, the closer I am to my goal. There's really no specific date I'm shooting for though. Just check in when you feel like you have some feedback. Thanks!

-Brian
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I got your PM now Brian!

Just read it brian,will pm my views.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Brian,
I am not a beginner but my sight reading is terrible and always has been. I do not play by ear but have always tended to memorize everything and it takes a long time for me to learn a new piece. When I was in college, memorizing was easy but at my age, it's not so easy anymore. I returned to the piano and lessons after not having played in over 35 years about a year and a half ago. While I am playing intermediate level classical music, I have difficulty sight reading even the simplest pieces. I have recently started playing with a friend who is a cellist so I really need to improve my sight reading. If you think my situation is appropriate for your book. I would love to try it. However, I can't figure out how to privately PM you.
Thanks, Judy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Judy, just sent you a PM. So you should see a little flashing envelope thing at the top. In the future, you can click on anyone's name and a little menu comes up. "Send a PM" is one of the options.

Got it Paul. Thanks!

-Brian
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission