2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Gawsh, i actually did it.

It's up to a minute with a repeat.

But it's not well played, LOL. I mean, I did my best and it took about 75 takes to get a submittable one, but my best ain't all that hot. Still, though, I like submitting because it lets me hear my progress (at the expense of ruining a beautiful recital). Thanks for being a forgiving audience. smile

[Linked Image]
Dang, I should have waited one. I could have been #28 of recital #28. The next person has that honor.

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LizAnne
Gawsh, i actually did it.

It's up to a minute with a repeat.

But it's not well played, LOL. I mean, I did my best and it took about 75 takes to get a submittable one, but my best ain't all that hot. Still, though, I like submitting because it lets me hear my progress (at the expense of ruining a beautiful recital). Thanks for being a forgiving audience. smile

Good for you! and NEVER think for an instant that you're ruining the recital! Good heavens! No.

Truly, truly I say to you..... we like to hear everyone's contributions. What is so very cool is that as you keep contributing we ALL get to hear your progress and give you feedback on it. I find that the encouragement I've received over the past few years has really meant a lot to me.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm in at #28. And I'm doing a prelude from Chopin's opus 28, so the number fits!

This is my first recording on my "new" piano. Tried various placements of my only microphone and finally settled on what Wouter told me to do - about a meter from the bend, pointed at the strings - close enough for amateurs.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Okay Monica, I have a 'technical' question. Lets say that my goal is not to 'beat' the system, but rather to 'relax' it (or at least my stress levels) a little. Couldn't I do the following:

1.) Submit a fairly decent recording of my submission on the first of the month which will secure me a low spot on the performance list but then under my comments I will say...."Please watch the video". Since you can add a video up until just about the last second, this will give me another 2 weeks to fine tune and practice before I really MUST submit it.

So, as long as your willing to submit a video of your performance, you actually have until around Monicas bedtime on the 14th to submit your piece and still make it.

Now I know this is risky due to the "firm as concrete" rule and I don't want to encourage procrastination, but I'm just wondering if my logic is correct.

Bottom line: I want to know if I still have 2 more weeks to practice for a video.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Okay Monica, I have a 'technical' question. Lets say that my goal is not to 'beat' the system, but rather to 'relax' it (or at least my stress levels) a little. Couldn't I do the following:

1.) Submit a fairly decent recording of my submission on the first of the month which will secure me a low spot on the performance list but then under my comments I will say...."Please watch the video". Since you can add a video up until just about the last second, this will give me another 2 weeks to fine tune and practice before I really MUST submit it.

So, as long as your willing to submit a video of your performance, you actually have until around Monicas bedtime on the 14th to submit your piece and still make it.

Now I know this is risky due to the "firm as concrete" rule and I don't want to encourage procrastination, but I'm just wondering if my logic is correct.

Bottom line: I want to know if I still have 2 more weeks to practice for a video.

Yes, the video counts as just editing the text of your submission, so you can change the text at the last minute. But then, the audio and video won't match. Many people use the streaming player and that uses the audio file.

I have done this when I make the videos with sheet music. But I am using the same audio file, just adding video to it. When I finally edit the text to point to the video, I don't lose my place in line.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Now I know this is risky due to the "firm as concrete" rule and I don't want to encourage procrastination, but I'm just wondering if my logic is correct.

IMHO this logic is correct. I think it's possible in general to change videos while keeping the same link (so you can change even after the deadline). Furthermore, your place in the recital index would not match your actual submission time.

I'd rather suggest completely the opposite: why do we have a two-week submission slot anyway? Why not pick ONE DAY as deadline and require everyone to submit on that day? 24 hours for uploading seems plenty enough to me.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm in at #28. And I'm doing a prelude from Chopin's opus 28, so the number fits!

This is my first recording on my "new" piano. Tried various placements of my only microphone and finally settled on what Wouter told me to do - about a meter from the bend, pointed at the strings - close enough for amateurs.

Sam

Nice, recital 28 place 28 for chopin 28!

Great to hear that my suggested placement works for you. Looking forward to how it sounds.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wouter79

I'd rather suggest completely the opposite: why do we have a two-week submission slot anyway? Why not pick ONE DAY as deadline and require everyone to submit on that day? 24 hours for uploading seems plenty enough to me.

You'd lose the members who are less active on the forum.

I don't know how "unique" I am in this, but the only reason i submitted was that I happened to check in and see submission open, and it happened to be a lazy Sunday afternoon with nothing on my schedule, and I happened to have something semi-submittable. Little chance I'd get something in with only a 24 hour window.

...not that that would be a huge loss to the recital, in my case. smile

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Not everyone has the same schedule. If you were out of town, or working a strange shift, or sick that day, or whatever, you couldn't submit.

For me it doesn't make any difference that it's a 2-week long window. And I can't really see what overall difference it makes. The recital opens when it opens.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Okay thanks Sam. I guess I still could submit a video up until the 14th-ish but it would have to contain its own audio and would not match the audio on the player unless the audio used was from the video.

I did make a quick video using the video feature on my Cannon camera but it seems a bit grainy...(like a 70s Bigfoot spotting video). The audio is okay as well. Not great, just okay. Even if I made another video, the quality would not improve without better equipment so maybe I'll just stick with the audio that's pretty good since it was a direct digital recording using the line levels. That's unless there is a high demand for a grainy, camera quality video performance.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
About the Video:
I do not usually watch the video... The MP3 format allows me to listen the pieces in the car when I'm in traffic, or to upload them to my MP3 player and listen the Recital wherever I want. Sorry my friends, I recognize your efforts to make the videos, but the MP3 format is more convenient.

About the sumbission deadline:
15 days it's OK. I usually have as deadline day 1 and the remaining 14 days serve as a safeguard in case something goes wrong. The problem is to deal with the anxiety...

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A

Didn't we agree these were overplayed?! wink wink wink

Sorry but you are no longer 28 at #28; I had a duplicate submission - computer glitches - and that's been corrected. So, opus 28 and number 27.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Ditto to all of the above. It's the mp3 file you submit that gets put in all the archives, and many people work off the zip files.

I strongly prefer the two week submission window for all the reasons mentioned. Plus, it gives me plenty of time to trouble shoot any computer or uploading problems. (And every recital has some of those.) I wouldn't want to have the pressure of handling all that in one particular 24-hour period.

Originally Posted by Peyton

I'd rather listen to an interesting, well played short piece than a boring long one.... smile

[gulps] Er, you might want to skip mine, then. :-)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.

I'd rather listen to an interesting, well played short piece than a boring long one.... smile

Your's are NEVER boring. Actually , if anyone is going to be guilty of long (hopefully not boring) it will be me. At 10 minutes mine is the longest piece I've ever put in the recital. I'll be lucky if I get ten people to listen all the way through.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

Didn't we agree these were overplayed?! wink wink wink

Sorry but you are no longer 28 at #28; I had a duplicate submission - computer glitches - and that's been corrected. So, opus 28 and number 27.

Oh darn, I lost my #28 spot.

And, yes, it's overplayed, but you have never heard me play it. I'm not sure that you really want to. ha

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Ups... and if someone sends a short AND boring one...? eek

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC

Ups... and if someone sends a short AND boring one...? eek

...well then the pain is over quickly. smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
...At 10 minutes mine is the longest piece I've ever put in the recital. I'll be lucky if I get ten people to listen all the way through.

Do you provide an intermission for potty, adult beverage and popcorn? laugh

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission