2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 9 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mark VC #1980734 10/30/12 10:23 PM
J
J
WOW! That's v-e-r-y exciting! Many, many happy hours of playing to you.

You must be a "Yamaha fan"? For that kind of money - maybe just a few dollars more - you could have gotten a Steinway from the vintage years (late 1920s - early 1930s).

Also - a member posted something about getting a DampChaser. I wrestled with this for a few years and found that there was never a person who was on the fence about it --- they either liked it or they didn't.

Then, I had the opportunity to meet Franz Mohr and he was very emphatic: "Absolutely not! You make the ROOM comfortable. If the ROOM is comfortable, the piano is happy!", was his reply. Either spend the money on a humidifier for the house that attached to the furnace, get a humidifier for the room, OR - a simple trick told to me by my tuner - get an aquarium (whether or not you put fish in it is up to you!). Then, get a decent hygrometer for the room and keep the humidity around 42% . . .

Again, congratulations and best wishes!

djwayne #1980884 10/31/12 10:27 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by djwayne
For what it's worth, the Yamaha C7 is my favorite Ivory II piano sample set. It's interesting to see that the C6 sells for $32,000.

there's are reasons the C7 is the most popular piano in recording studios. here's a sample of mine:

https://www.box.com/s/0lia1ms5c3ri0l735409

to me the tone is very clean & clear, with plenty of sustain throughout without pedal. with pedal, the overtones are very pure when i let the instrument 'ring out'.

that said i agree with the C6 reviewer's assessment that the tone is "easy to like, but somewhat harder to love". but that is no longer the case with with the newer models that i've played (C3X, C6X and CF) - the tone is much fuller and colorful. however, i don't know if in a recording studio where it may be used primarily as an ensemble instrument, if that's a good thing or not.

Mark VC #1980888 10/31/12 10:45 AM
D
D
Thanks for the link to your piano, sounds wonderful !! Yep the C7 is what makes Ivory II worth every penny. There's no way I can afford a real C7 so samples is the next best thing.

Entheo #1984346 11/08/12 09:28 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Love the sound of this piano. So rich and full, with brilliant upper end. Sounds like my C5 on steroids, lol.

Jack in TN

Plays:
Yamaha C5 grand (home)
Kawai KG5 grand (church)
Roland RD300GX digital (jazz group)
Mark VC #1984458 11/09/12 03:25 AM
P
P
Originally Posted by Mark VC
So, now I'm wondering if I should have gotten a C6X, which the salesman told me "incorporates some of the Bosendorfer DNA". But I got a good price on the C6 (I think? It's new, but a floor model, @32K).

Interesting. For $8k more you could have an immaculate seven year old 7' Bosendorfer, with a full three year warranty, and all of the Bosendorfer DNA.

http://www.pianoworld.com/classified/search2.php

Mychal

Peakly #1984598 11/09/12 12:18 PM
M
Mark VC Offline OP
OP Offline
M
True I suppose, or as someone else pointed out a golden age Steinway refurb. So the implicit question Why would anyone make the choice I made? Truth be told I sat down in front of a Bosendorfer 9 footer and was not moved. Very possible my taste needs to develop further before I'll be ready for Bosendorfer.

Steinway? I played a few, and some were extremely nice but also extremely out of my price range - you have to understand that, during the act of piano buying, the amount of money you have mentally budgeted for the purchase tends to increase. Does that happen to others? So yes there were very nice Steinways in the 40's, but at that point I was thinking OK that's way WAY more than I'm spending here. Understand, I went to the piano store thinking 'just play a few pianos, talk to a salesman, maybe find out about rent-to-own, hey what's the worst that could happen?' As it turns out, you could sit down in front of a C6 that was being priced to Get Out Of My Store, because a bunch of CX pianos wanted the floor space.

Also the C6 sounded very wonderful to me, and I think that's really key, whatever the make and model are. I have a fair amount of roll-off in my high frequency hearing. Yamahas can 'cut through the mix' as jazz and pop guys say, well, they also cut through tinnitus as it turns out.

Mark VC #1984778 11/09/12 09:19 PM
P
P
Also the C6 sounded very wonderful to me, and I think that's really key, whatever the make and model are. I have a fair amount of roll-off in my high frequency hearing. Yamahas can 'cut through the mix' as jazz and pop guys say, well, they also cut through tinnitus as it turns out.

Yamaha makes nice pianos, and you are probably going to love having this one for many years. My parents, who are both professional pianists, have had a Yamaha grand similar to the one you bought for about forty years. It has been played a lot, and you can tell, but it's still a cool piano. Congratulations on your new piano - it's an awesome instrument to have in your home!

Mychal

Mark VC #1984868 11/10/12 03:24 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I played a few, and some were extremely nice but also extremely out of my price range - you have to understand that, during the act of piano buying, the amount of money you have mentally budgeted for the purchase tends to increase. Does that happen to others?

It's the same case with me. I went into a store with maybe a C2 in mind, a little bit bigger, a little nicer than my little GC1, maybe a $10K uplift? Before you know it, the sales person wants me to try the C3 also. Well, of course, I like the C3 more than the C2, but that's another $7,000. Still, yeah I like it, so as I play some more, the sales person just mentions that for a small increase you could go to the C5, which is soooo much better than the C3. He goes into a long thing about the virtues of the C5, then, as I'm just trying a C5, he goes, well might as well try this C6, and this very special C6XA over here. Yeah, I tried the C6XA, which is incredible, but now, we're talking $49K, something like that. And wouldn't you know it, he said if you really like that C6XA, for not much more, you could have a Boesendorfer. He makes me play the 170, 185, 200, 214, 225, and even asked me to try the Imperial. The 225 was insane, and the Imperial was astondingly so. It was like that 225 times 10. Man, I thought I died and went to heaven, flooded with that gorgeous sound. Look, I remind him, I came here to try a C2, which by now is soooo inferior to any Boesendorfer or the Yamaha C6XA.

Yeah, I went to the store looking at a C2, and if I could spend another $40K, I could have bought a Boesendorfer 185. Instead, I got the C3X, probably spend a good $8-10K more than I should, and got off that train of if only you spend another....

There is always a better piano out there if for just another ....

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
I played a few, and some were extremely nice but also extremely out of my price range - you have to understand that, during the act of piano buying, the amount of money you have mentally budgeted for the purchase tends to increase. Does that happen to others?

It's the same case with me. I went into a store with maybe a C2 in mind, a little bit bigger, a little nicer than my little GC1, maybe a $10K uplift? Before you know it, the sales person wants me to try the C3 also. Well, of course, I like the C3 more than the C2, but that's another $7,000. Still, yeah I like it, so as I play some more, the sales person just mentions that for a small increase you could go to the C5, which is soooo much better than the C3. He goes into a long thing about the virtues of the C5, then, as I'm just trying a C5, he goes, well might as well try this C6, and this very special C6XA over here. Yeah, I tried the C6XA, which is incredible, but now, we're talking $49K, something like that. And wouldn't you know it, he said if you really like that C6XA, for not much more, you could have a Boesendorfer. He makes me play the 170, 185, 200, 214, 225, and even asked me to try the Imperial. The 225 was insane, and the Imperial was astondingly so. It was like that 225 times 10. Man, I thought I died and went to heaven, flooded with that gorgeous sound. Look, I remind him, I came here to try a C2, which by now is soooo inferior to any Boesendorfer or the Yamaha C6XA.

Yeah, I went to the store looking at a C2, and if I could spend another $40K, I could have bought a Boesendorfer 185. Instead, I got the C3X, probably spend a good $8-10K more than I should, and got off that train of if only you spend another....

There is always a better piano out there if for just another ....

There's no doubt that piano retailers have stock that is priced in increments like that to test your real limits (they know that most people can be talked into something a lot more expensive than they first suggest). Funny thing for me was that the C5 just doesn't work for me. I prefer the C3, I find the C5 lacking something in the middle register - and that was true of the 5 or 6 C5s I've played. Even the salesman said for the way I play when I improvise, using a lot of closely voiced chords, the C3 sounded a lot better. The C6 was great though. So for me, the jump in price between the C3 to a C6 would be rather more than I could stomach. Not that I can afford either at the moment. I'm hoping some good fortune comes my way at some stage.

P
P
[quote=Mark VC]Before you know it, the sales person wants me to try the C3 also. Well, of course, I like the C3 more than the C2, but that's another $7,000. Still, yeah I like it, so as I play some more, the sales person just mentions that for a small increase you could go to the C5, which is soooo much better than the C3. He goes into a long thing about the virtues of the C5, then, as I'm just trying a C5, he goes, well might as well try this C6, and this very special C6XA over here. Yeah, I tried the C6XA, which is incredible, but now, we're talking $49K, something like that. And wouldn't you know it, he said if you really like that C6XA, for not much more, you could have a Boesendorfer. He makes me play the 170, 185, 200, 214, 225, and even asked me to try the Imperial. The 225 was insane, and the Imperial was astondingly so. It was like that 225 times 10. Man, I thought I died and went to heaven, flooded with that gorgeous sound. Look, I remind him, I came here to try a C2, which by now is soooo inferior to any Boesendorfer or the Yamaha C6XA.

Yeah, but wasn't it fun trying all those different pianos? I think it's cool how they're all different, and hearing how they sound and feel. And you don't have to buy any of them - just tell him you're going to think about it, and come back another day.

Mychal

ando #1985060 11/10/12 03:23 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
I prefer the C3, I find the C5 lacking something in the middle register - and that was true of the 5 or 6 C5s I've played.

Same here. While the salesman went on and on about the virtues of the C5, I actually like the C3 more. The C5 has cleaner bass fundamentals, but the C3 is better on the whole to me. When I went to the C6, I heard a major improvement over the C3. I think the salesman is only thinking from the perspective of his commission when recommending the C5 over the C3. I told him that I didn't like the C5, and he told me he has customers and even tuners who thinks the C5 is way better. Oh well, I'm no expert, so I left it at that.

Peakly #1985066 11/10/12 03:53 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peakly
Yeah, but wasn't it fun trying all those different pianos? I think it's cool how they're all different, and hearing how they sound and feel.Mychal

Yes, especially the Boesendorfer 225 and the Imperial. That was a great experience.

P
P
Yes, especially the Boesendorfer 225 and the Imperial. That was a great experience.

They are tremendous pianos. Since I'm a professional pianist and music director, I've been able to play a lot of pianos over the years. I can remember most of the Bosendorfers I have played, because they are so remarkable. It's not just the gorgeous sound, or the great Renner action. It's the overall build quality, since they're handmade like a Rolls Royce. Superb workmanship - incredible quality throughout the instrument.

Mychal

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission