2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (benkeys, EPW, 36251, ee375, Ed Sutton, chopinetto, Gooddog, Furtwangler, 9 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 776 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello All,

I know that purchase of a new piano requires them to be played and the taste is largely up to the player. That being said, I am looking at a couple of options.

There is a 1988 used Steinway for sale - Model L that appears to be in a very good condition. The seller is asking 21k for it. I am going to check it out next week.

On the otherhand, I have been very intrigued by the new Kawai RX2 Blak series. They are some nice pianos, and I can likely get a new one for the price asking of a 24 year old used Steinway.

I was hoping to get the seller to drop the price a bit since I think 21k is a little much to be asking. There is no warranty with the Steinway. I would have to pay for moving, for regulation etc.

Any advice for what I can ask him to sell for or which may be the better direction?

Thanks!

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
Grieg Sonata in e minor; Bartok Romanian Dances; Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 110; Mozart Concerto in d minor, K. 466
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Unfortunately, that's about par for the course.... you're not likely to get a lower price on the Steinway unless the seller is desperate to sell, or unless it's in below average condition. This is why I don't usually recommend Steinway to people; they can be nice, but there are much better values out there.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's a buyer's market, make an offer on the Steinway. But ONLY if that's the piano you prefer. Get the piano you like best.

Gary
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Opus 1 Music

On the other hand, I have been very intrigued by the new Kawai RX2 Blak series. They are some nice pianos, and I can likely get a new one for the price asking of a 24 year old used Steinway.

What is the source of the intrigue -- what you've heard and read from people and promotion, or what you've experienced from playing that piano?

Your concerns about price will best be resolved by a hadns-on comparison of the two pianos. That will give you a sense of their relative worth to you.

Most sellers (self-included) don't appreciate being asked to cut their asking price before the person asking has even seen their piano. But if you are throughly acquainted with the Kawai model that intrigues you and have seen and played the Steinway, you can confidently offer what you feel it's worth to you.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
OP Offline
You are right. I have yet to see the Steinway. I have played on several different of the RX2s and really like the touch (which has been fairly consistent from piano to piano). I also think (at least the few that I have played) have a rich sound. I would like a little fuller, but that has been my taste. I am just looking to go in with a bit more knowledge about buying I guess. When someone asks for that kind of money in a private sale without being able to offer the incentive of a music dealer, I am just a little bit worried. That is all

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
Grieg Sonata in e minor; Bartok Romanian Dances; Beethoven Sonata in A-flat, Op. 110; Mozart Concerto in d minor, K. 466
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Playing several Kawai RX2's is good background from which to approach the Steinway.

On that basis, all your points seem completely reasonable to me. If you really like that Kawai action, my guess is that you will still really like that Kawai action after you've played the used Steinway M, in which case you probably wouldn't be interested in making an offer on it anyway.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
First thing is whether you are buying a name or a piano. The Steinway can be a really great instrument, but the odds are against greatness. They have a huge marketing presence, but that doesn't mean squat compared to what your fingers and ears tell you about any one individual instrument. Any brand's name is no guarantee that the particular instrument you are playing is not a dog.
Play them both. Listen for evenness as you play perfect chromatic scales. Listen to how well balanced the fourth and fifth octaves are with the bass. Is the very top end clear? Play some things that you find difficult to play, and see if one or the other action helps you get it done. I wouldn't waste time on drills for diagnostic purposes, you want to know what it is like to make music with these instruments, what they sound like when you want them to whisper and when you want them to scream. Listen and think about listening. Then, trust your intuition, because your intuition is right far more often than not.

(oh, one edit, don't EVER buy a used piano without paying a tech that you trust to tune it and tell you what you are buying!)
Regards,

Last edited by Ed Foote; 10/26/12 05:28 PM.
OP Offline
Thanks for all the advise so far. I am not going in with a bias one way or the other. For example, I typically despise Yamaha for being overly bright, but one of the best Yamahas I have ever played was in Spain. It was spectacular. I understand paying for a name, but Kawai just had a price increase in their instruments. I am also bringing a friend of mine along who is a technician. I hope she is able to help me out in this matter. I am just asking would you pay 20k for a used instrument when you can get a new one for roughly the same price even if you fell in love with it? Is a 20 year old Steinway worthy of sticking 20k into it if I love the sound? Will it last me a while, or will I need to stick additional money into it?

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I tend to think new is better than 24 yrs. But check it out. May be low mileage and exactly what your looking for.

As previously posted, get a tech check.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
OP Offline
I'll let you know what I think after Tuesday. As I said, I don't want to fall in love with a piano simply for the name, because I like Kawai, because Steinway is the "best" etc. I need to go on a few "dates" and see how I feel. Hopefully the piano can cause me to fall in love with it, otherwise I will leave it alone. P.S. Does anyone know how much the new RX 2 blak series are running these days?

Justin NCTM

Working on:
Solo program
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Opus 1 Music
I'll let you know what I think after Tuesday. As I said, I don't want to fall in love with a piano simply for the name, because I like Kawai, because Steinway is the "best" etc. I need to go on a few "dates" and see how I feel. Hopefully the piano can cause me to fall in love with it, otherwise I will leave it alone. P.S. Does anyone know how much the new RX 2 blak series are running these days?

http://www.pianobuyer.com/show.php?...p;Sort=&DiscountPercent=0&Email=

If you can honestly get an rx2blk for 21k, looks like a superb deal

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I was piano shopping for a student recently and I saw a RX2 for 23k.

I love the RX2. With the RX's CF action, you'll have a lot less long-term expense than you will with the Steinway.

Of course, there's nothing that compares to a Steinway in good condition.

You also might want to consider the instruments tone. A mellower piano might be better for home use, especially if you want to keep you spouse happy!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for some presets for the Vk-1 Viking
by Chernobieff Piano - 03/29/24 10:11 PM
PianoSens and Freeze frame feature in PianoScope
by TimM_980 - 03/29/24 09:38 PM
Piano Headphone Problem
by Cathryn112 - 03/29/24 08:30 PM
Question on the name of a tiny piano piece
by 1906SV - 03/29/24 07:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,138
Posts3,345,133
Members111,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission