2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,983 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 33 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33
Kbeaumont #1978031 10/24/12 01:24 PM
Yes the issue with having to switch out the internal speakers (by means of plugging into a headphone socket) to obtain a decent output was exactly the same with the PX-330. The PX-3, without speakers of course, does not have this problem. I have not tried the PX-350 so have not evaluated the piano sound quality for myself. However there is the new feature of being able to play wave files directly from a USB memory stick. This sounds like a very useful idea but what I cannot ascertain is whether or not it is easy to adjust the wave volume output without going through numerous button operations. With some keyboards there is a separate control for such sound output and this is ideal but I don't think the PX-350 has this. Has anyone tried the wave file output feature? It is a shame you were disappointed as it sounded a promising keyboard.

It is always possible that the PX-3 will be replaced and updated and maybe they will further improve the pianos. However I am not in a position to confirm this.

Kbeaumont #1978043 10/24/12 01:50 PM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi aidan ,

not to interfere, but couldn't you try to adjust the velocity curve a bit more before sending it back ? I think the standard curve is an average and often not to everybody's liking. Luckily most DP' s offer enough options to adjust the velocity respons. I was wondering if you would like the piano presets and keybed in the end when properly adjusted.

The issue with the headphone plug enabling audio out will stay of course, but I was really curious how you would judge the keybed/ AP combination when adjusted to your playing style...there are not many good user reviews around so far.

K
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
K
Yes the issue with having to switch out the internal speakers (by means of plugging into a headphone socket) to obtain a decent output was exactly the same with the PX-330

Actually I own a PX-330 and that is not the case. In fact the opposite is true. If you put in an adapter to shut off the internal speakers, there is a stereo field expansion and a bump in the lower eq applied to the signal which sounds good in headphones but not so good through the line outs. Playing both the internal speakers and line outs simultaneously is just fine.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
My goodness! If this issue with the internal speakers needing to be shut off before getting a usable signal from the line-outs is universally true for all PX-350s, it makes me wonder why on earth the engineers didn't consult gigging pianists - such as Mike Martin! - before instituting such a crass new "feature". shocked

I was looking forward to hearing from Aidan that this was the perfect lightweight gigging tool. Oh well, the wait continues...

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Aidan #1978087 10/24/12 03:49 PM

In the meantime, here it is in a band setting - Steve LeBlanc hitting it out of the park with Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience. The EP is on a Receptor but the piano solo starting about 3.00 is the Casio's internal piano.

With the internal speakers ON, nothing plugged into the headphone out.

The PX-350 functions the same as all the previous models such as the PX-310, PX-320, PX-330 in this regard (although without the dramatic EQ change)

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 10/24/12 03:52 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Kbeaumont #1978090 10/24/12 03:58 PM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
So there's a misunderstanding, or the specific unit of Aidan is perhaps not functioning as it should ? In other words , there shouldn't be a problem using both speakers and line outs simultaneously ? I'm puzzled by the different posts here..

ClsscLib #1978117 10/24/12 05:01 PM
O
O
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
If there's really a significant market for this idea, and if the engineering and production challenges are all that easy to overcome, someone will offer such a keyboard. All manufacturers prefer larger rather than smaller profits.

For a minute there I almost thought you were talking about the piano industry.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
The PX-350 functions the same as all the previous models such as the PX-310, PX-320, PX-330 in this regard (although without the dramatic EQ change)

Great to know that it you can indeed use the speakers and line outs at the same time, and also that they addressed the EQ issue that at least the 330 apparently had. But I wonder why the PX350 manual recommends that you connect something to the headphone jack when using the line outs?

Originally Posted by anotherscott
But I wonder why the PX350 manual recommends that you connect something to the headphone jack when using the line outs?

There is a difference in gain, but not enough as Stephen Leblanc's video demonstrates that would create any issue in using it that way live.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Mike,
Some food for thought here. Since the PX-350 is mainly for piano, why not make it really shine for AP and EP. Seems like some posters prefer the EP on the PX-3 to what is on the 330/350. Casio's older models with the ZPI had some very good sounding EP's, and the CDP-100 was pretty good also. Maybe these patches could be resurrected? Also is the ability to turn on DSP and apply DSP to other sounds eliminated? The old 3000 series workstations and PX-575 all had these abilities.

Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Originally Posted by anotherscott
But I wonder why the PX350 manual recommends that you connect something to the headphone jack when using the line outs?

There is a difference in gain, but not enough as Stephen Leblanc's video demonstrates that would create any issue in using it that way live.

In fairness to Mike and Casio, I'm posting my follow-up comments here as well as the other forum...

In the wake of Mike's comments, I'm really wondering whether the unit I received has a defect.

What I CAN tell you all is that it is less than two weeks since I had a PX-320 in the studio, hooked up to exactly the same equipment with the same settings.

With its internal speakers active, there were NO issues whatsoever with the level coming out of the line-outs - I could easily turn up the external component of the sound until it overwhelmed the internal speakers. It was such a non-issue that I didn't bother to try defeating the internal speakers.

The same just is NOT true of the unit I received - at same or similar settings used with the PX-320, I had to stand up and put my ear closer to the studio monitors to check that some signal was coming through to that source.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
Kbeaumont #1978184 10/24/12 07:32 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Aidan, the Roland FP series is notorious for having low gain in default mode. When driving external speakers, if you turn the internal gain up, the sound level can easily overwhelm the internal speakers - and the piano doesn't remember the gain settings on power-down. The remedy for certain situations was to add a little Behringer Xenyx 1002FX mixer between piano and speakers. The 1002 has switchable +4dB/-10dB inputs, which neatly cancels out the problem. I suspect that this would also give the PX-350 the extra boost it needs.

mabraman, 2015
D
D
EDIT: snipped, gonna post in the proper thread, sorry smile

Last edited by Dalek; 10/25/12 05:01 AM.
Kbeaumont #1978349 10/25/12 04:59 AM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi - could we keep the discussion about key size in the specific thread that was created for that subject ? It's dedicated to that request and here it keeps on mixing up with the reviews and thoughts about the new Casio PX series. Just my thought...

Kbeaumont #1978409 10/25/12 09:32 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I played one of the new Privias yesterday at a Guitar Center. They told me they had just taken it out of the box that morning. Unfortunately, they had not hooked up the pedals correctly, or else the unit was defective, because the damper pedal only worked intermittently.I played for a couple of minutes with the onboard speakers, and wasn't really that happy with the sound. I had neglected to bring my own headphones, so I asked them for a pair which improved it some, but I still find the piano sounds on my AP-620 to be much more realistic sounding. As for those new "textured" keys, I am not sure quite who thought those were a good idea. They don't look like any piano keys I have ever seen, nor do they feel like real keys. The Ivory Touch keys on the 620 are much closer to a regular piano. It seems, too, that over time oil from your fingers might attract dust or dirt which would stick in the little grooves and be a pain to clean.
I might go back sometime when they have the pedals hooked up, and with my own headphones, but at this point I see no reason whatever to want to replace my 620.

Lee
leemax #1978454 10/25/12 11:55 AM
B
B
Which Privia model did you try? I'm waiting for the PX-750 to be on display.

The speaker configuration seems to get better as you go up in model level:
PX-150: two 13cm/6cm (rectangular)(8W)
PX-350: two 13cm/6cm (rectangular) + two 5cm (8W)
PX-750: two 12cm (8W)
PX-850: two 12cm + two 5cm (20W)

Originally Posted by leemax
I played one of the new Privias yesterday at a Guitar Center. They told me they had just taken it out of the box that morning. Unfortunately, they had not hooked up the pedals correctly, or else the unit was defective, because the damper pedal only worked intermittently.I played for a couple of minutes with the onboard speakers, and wasn't really that happy with the sound. I had neglected to bring my own headphones, so I asked them for a pair which improved it some, but I still find the piano sounds on my AP-620 to be much more realistic sounding.

Kbeaumont #1978548 10/25/12 03:46 PM
M
M
You better believe that those textured ivories will always look filthy...not to mention way more difficult to keep clean. Personally, I like traditional satin ebonies and gloss ivories, both for their touch and to keep clean. Also, glides (glissandos) don't hurt as much on normal keys as they did when I tried a few on these textured keys. Hey, different strokes for different folks. Many will probably LOVE the new keys.

leemax #1978580 10/25/12 04:36 PM
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by leemax
As for those new "textured" keys, I am not sure quite who thought those were a good idea. They don't look like any piano keys I have ever seen, nor do they feel like real keys. The Ivory Touch keys on the 620 are much closer to a regular piano. It seems, too, that over time oil from your fingers might attract dust or dirt which would stick in the little grooves and be a pain to clean.

@leemax,

Yes, you are right as the current glossy "Ivory Touch" keys (that are smooth and non-textured) are absolutely perfect as they feel great to start with, and, they do not pick up any dirt/oil. They are far more resilient to scratching than textured keys.

Looks like changing over to the new textured key tops might be a mistake for Casio, since the current ones were just fine. It remains to be seen if these textured keys will show wear as they did with Roland's key tops.

pv88 #1978639 10/25/12 07:33 PM
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by pv88
Looks like changing over to the new textured key tops might be a mistake for Casio, since the current ones were just fine. It remains to be seen if these textured keys will show wear as they did with Roland's key tops.

Yeah, unfortunately it's a marketing point, and one that is being used by all the manufacturers. The truth is that real ivory isn't all the special as a key surface and is inferior to the typical key surface in some ways. I have a really hard time with Roland's ivory surface (I don't own one, so it's just when I play in stores that it matters) and this has nothing to do with the scratches. Shiny and clean works for me. Most acoustics don't have an ivory feel surface. I don't even like ivory feel in acoustic grands like Yamaha's and Kawai's.

Kbeaumont #1978708 10/25/12 11:33 PM
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Dissenting voice here. As a performing player, I really appreciate the move to faux ivory/ebony. I used to have serious issues with shiny keys and sweaty fingers during summer gigs - particularly on the black keys.

mabraman, 2015
Page 30 of 33 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission