2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton

Sam, I don't think we could ever get too much "Raindrop". If you have it down I'd vote for that one.

Thanks Peyton. It's at the 90% mark - that last 10% is tough. I can play it, just not consistently. But I will play it for my teacher's real live recital in November.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have begun working on an interesting arrangement of Be Thou My Vision that I hope to be able to record and submit in time. The notes aren't that difficult, but getting the expression and dynamics right is a bit tricky.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis
I have begun working on an interesting arrangement of Be Thou My Vision that I hope to be able to record and submit in time. The notes aren't that difficult, but getting the expression and dynamics right is a bit tricky.

I hope so too, Dennis. Glad, you are IN this round.

I'm going out on a limb this time and have professional recording studio booked from 9-12 next Tuesday. A friend of mine was able secure this at reasonable off hour rates. I'm going for it to see how it works out. Only since I have put so much into these pieces and they will be among the top of my game. So, IF, I can get a clean recording, they will be keepsake and of use beyond just the recital. At least that is the hope.

Apparently it is a Beckstein concert grand, so getting accustomed to the action may be an issue. Fall back is my lowly 40" console, but not as much pressure for the recording takes of course. Maybe I will end up with one of each.

Already getting goose bumps about it all.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greener
Originally Posted by TX-Dennis

I hope so too, Dennis. Glad, you are IN this round.

I'm going out on a limb this time and have professional recording studio booked from 9-12 next Tuesday. A friend of mine was able secure this at reasonable off hour rates. I'm going for it to see how it works out. Only since I have put so much into these pieces and they will be among the top of my game. So, IF, I can get a clean recording, they will be keepsake and of use beyond just the recital. At least that is the hope.

Apparently it is a Beckstein concert grand, so getting accustomed to the action may be an issue. Fall back is my lowly 40" console, but not as much pressure for the recording takes of course. Maybe I will end up with one of each.

Already getting goose bumps about it all.

Wow! You are renting a recording studio!? It will be really interesting to hear how it sounds. I am curious to know what their mic set up is going to be. If you don't mind could you make a note of what kind of mics they use and how they are situated?

Good luck!!

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Greener, that sounds great! Looking forward to it.

Never heard of Beckstein though. Are you sure it is not a Bechstein (H instead of K)?

Also this sounds like the ultimate red-dot syndrome test... You can cope well with the normal red-dot syndrome?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G

I am curious to know what their mic set up is going to be. If you don't mind could you make a note of what kind of mics they use and how they are situated?

Good point, Peyton. I will make note of this and will report back what I find out. From what I understand so far, we will be using 3 mics. There are also two more room mics available that we will not be using. Michael (my buddy doing the recording) seems to think the room mics are over kill. I'm taking his lead on this of course, as I know nothing about it and fully trusting of his advice.

Originally Posted by wouter79

Are you sure it is not a Bechstein (H instead of K)?

Yes, you are probably right, Wouter. All I know for sure is that it is a BIG piano.

Originally Posted by wouter79

Also this sounds like the ultimate red-dot syndrome test... You can cope well with the normal red-dot syndrome?

No, actually now that you mention it, I don't deal with it very well at all. But this is helpful. Thanks for the reminder laugh

Also, I seem to have acquired an acute case of finger arthritis of late. Perhaps the 8 hours per day of practicing quavers at 150 bbm is having a detrimental effect. I honestly don't think I could play a C major scale evenly at 60 bbm tonight if my life depended on it.

I think I may need to consult my practice couch before I venture into this. I also think I may require a couple of weeks of rehabilitation therapy after next Tuesday.

Thanks for the best wishes, though. If nothing else, I think this will be fun to try and is not costing much.

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
I have to pass this this time too. The work is a bit crazy lately. I am still up (1:18 AM) writing annual reviews and catching up with my Phoenix projects during my business trip in UK. This is not good at all. I think I need to make change in my life...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Greener, what are you playing?

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Greener, what are you playing?

Bach little preludes No 2. (BWV-934) and No 4 (BWV-936)

The no. 2 I am not so worried about. The first focus of the recording time will be no. 4 and if still time for no. 2., great. Else, I will do no 2 on my own at home, which is fine.

I was exaggerating a little on the practice time. I've been told before that you can often take much of what I say and divide by 10 to get a more accurate reflection of reality. smile

My hands ARE sore though and very stiff today ... and that is no joke.

Any advice? Perhaps I do need a breather for a day or two as the pieces are otherwise, quite well rehearsed.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Greener, exaggerations aside, it really sounds to me like you may be over-doing the practice. Seriously. If your hands are that sore you should probably back off before you do real damage.

Are you a music student?

G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G

Seriously. If your hands are that sore you should probably back off before you do real damage.

They're a bit better today. But that was before I went straight back at it ... smile

I think you are right though and will take a bit of a rest. I can't imagine doing permanent damage, though. I used to get this Carpal Tunnel stuff from my employees once in a while, and I always figured they were just snowing me to try and get out of work. I guess I wasn't a very compassionate Manager. Perhaps there is something in it ... oh well, too late for them laugh

"Are you a music student?"

I guess so. I don't have a teacher though, if that is what you mean. Well actually my teacher now is Piano World and particularly the ABF study threads. I am learning lots and also getting practice coaching when I ask for it. This is actually where I came across these pieces in the first place.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I thought that with all that practice you may be a music school student... smile

But you do hear of pianists damaging their hands sometimes but probably more from improper practice than just too much playing. I know I have strained certain fingers in the past when playing something over and over. To the point where I really had to stop playing for a few days it hurt so bad. Then you hear of someone like Keith Emerson that hurt his hand so bad he had to stop playing for years. He still doesn't have the old chops back.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I'm guessing there will be lots of attempted recording going on this weekend.

Here's my question: I have never tried to record a grand before. Now that I have a "new" grand piano, where do I put my one-and-only microphone?

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
I'm guessing there will be lots of attempted recording going on this weekend.

Here's my question: I have never tried to record a grand before. Now that I have a "new" grand piano, where do I put my one-and-only microphone?

Sam

Sam, I'm sure you will get some different answers but I have had the most success by mounting them (I use stereo mics) about 18 inches over the strings near the front. Not too close or you get damper noise. But I would play around with it until you get the sound you like.

I think recording piano has got to be one of the tougher things to record well. That's why I was wondering how Greener would have it done at the professional recording studio. I've seen some pretty elaborate setups with mics in the corners and hanging from the ceiling.

J
J
Where can I get more info about the recitals? (rules, guidelines, etc). I have a few things I could maybe submit, would be a fun experience! Thanks!

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, Jared!

The main recital website address is:

https://recitals.pianoworld.com/

Although it is not open for submissions just yet, it describes the history of the recitals and explains the submission process, so you can get a head start on getting something ready.

Another absolutely wonderful resource is Sam's Recital Index, which organizes all the past recitals and lets you see and listen to all the past submissions.

On November 1, or maybe late on Oct. 31, I will open a thread entitled "Recital #28 -- Call for Submissions." That lets you know the recital website is ready for recordings to be uploaded. The deadline for submissions will be 9:00 pm Eastern time on November 14th.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Peyton, you reached your 7 replies per thread limit. just saying!

Actually, the "one month before recital" thread is always one of my favorites since there are not many other threads I can even participate in because I don't know....well anything!

I can't tell you about my lessons or how my method books are coming along since I don't have any/either. I can't tell you how my timing is improving or how I can play "at speed" since I don't have a metronome. I can't give anyone advice on fingering, proper hand position, proper posture etc because I don't know any of that either. Heck, I don't even know my scales and I mean ANY of them! so I can't be of much help to anyone since I can't really recommend anything.

But, what I can say is that playing piano is one way to accurately express your inner emotions to others and get away with it without seeming too drippy. Guys have the ability to express their softer, tender side that is usually saved for pillow talk and midnight sensual massages.

Most people don't fully realize that it is the guys that are usually the emotional wrecks, not the girls. Just think of all the drippy cowboy songs singing about broken love or their dog that left 'em or whatever.

Anyway, getting back on topic. I love these 'one month too recital' threads. Something to talk about for the rest of us.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
Peyton, you reached your 7 replies per thread limit. just saying!

Actually, the "one month before recital" thread is always one of my favorites since there are not many other threads I can even participate in because I don't know....well anything!

I can't tell you about my lessons or how my method books are coming along since I don't have any/either. I can't tell you how my timing is improving or how I can play "at speed" since I don't have a metronome. I can't give anyone advice on fingering, proper hand position, proper posture etc because I don't know any of that either. Heck, I don't even know my scales and I mean ANY of them! so I can't be of much help to anyone since I can't really recommend anything.

But, what I can say is that playing piano is one way to accurately express your inner emotions to others and get away with it without seeming too drippy. Guys have the ability to express their softer, tender side that is usually saved for pillow talk and midnight sensual massages.

Most people don't fully realize that it is the guys that are usually the emotional wrecks, not the girls. Just think of all the drippy cowboy songs singing about broken love or their dog that left 'em or whatever.

Anyway, getting back on topic. I love these 'one month too recital' threads. Something to talk about for the rest of us.

You really kill me!! But I can't say that because I've exceeded my thread limit. Damn!!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Crap Peyton your right. Now I've got to charge you thread reply overage charges at a rate of $.99 cents per offense, and you better pay it! Your up to .99 cents already and if you reply to this post you will owe $1.98.

It's not the overage charges you need to worry about however. It is the daily interest per diem that's gonna kill you as I charge 10 bucks a day interest to wait for my money.

Just think, a one time slip up will only cost you .99 cents but if I have to wait a month to get paid you can add another $300 bucks on top of that fee just in interest and who wants that?

Bottom line: The sooner you pay me, the better for both of us. Oh, and don't worry. I contacted Frank and he is okay with the whole concept. Alright that's a lie but times are tough and a guys got too make a living somehow right?.

Anyway, please send me a quick p.m and I'll reply with wiring instructions and routing numbers.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation and prompt response to this matter.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Here's my question: I have never tried to record a grand before. Now that I have a "new" grand piano, where do I put my one-and-only microphone?

I suggest about 1 meter in front of the fully open lid, such that it can see the sound board. If possible at all, try listening to the result. If it sounds too harsh, try moving it sideways, keeping same distance from the piano

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission