2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Seeking advice for an acquaintance living in a space-challanged Manhattan apartment.

I've prevailed upon my friend to set a budget that shouldn't result in regrets (she's actually a pretty decent pianist). She's looking for a grand, as she prefers the action over that of an upright. 5'6" would be really pushing things (she'd need a shoehorn) -- 5'3" would be optimally sized. You'd have to see the room to know what I mean.

We went shopping, and looked at an RX-1 (very nice), a C-1 ("ok" but not as pleasing as the RX-1), a 5'3" Knabe (she liked the tone and action of this one a lot) and a Mason B (she really liked that one, but wasn't comfortable with the mid-20's price tag). She's also interested in trying a Pramberger Platinum, a Sohmer and perhaps a Brodmann (although she thinks the Brodmann looks too "institutional" with the lettering on the side, etc.).

If she had to choose today, it would be between the RX-1 and the Knabe. Any advice on these or others we should be considering? (Yes, she has purchased and read the Piano Book and latest supplement.)

Many thanks.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If it weren't for budget, Mason B hands down IMHO. Can she come up in her budget at all?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
C
OP Offline
C
Horowitzian -- Thanks for your reply. She and I both agree on the Mason, at least among the candidates tested thus far. However, she's retired, and like so many of us, impacted by this horrible market. I think she's stretching a bit to come up with the $15K, but a stretch she can and will want to live with.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
She can't move/remove/rearrange a piece or two of furniture to make room for a bigger piano?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Clavierman:
Horowitzian -- Thanks for your reply. She and I both agree on the Mason, at least among the candidates tested thus far. However, she's retired, and like so many of us, impacted by this horrible market. I think she's stretching a bit to come up with the $15K, but a stretch she can and will want to live with.
Maybe go used? Or is she wanting new only?

C
OP Offline
C
Originally posted by pianoloverus:
She can't move/remove/rearrange a piece or two of furniture to make room for a bigger piano?
She's already doing that to make room for a grand of any size. This apartment is a shoebox, believe me. A 5 footer will look oversized for the living room, dining room, office, entry way, "great room" the piano will be in.

We will definitely keep our eyes opened for a used piano in excellent condition as well. Thanks.

It's easy to recommend the Mason...clearly the superior piano, but when you're talking about thousands more....

How bad does she want it? enough to overrule the realities of her budget?

For a new piano, with the stated budget, I'd vote for the RX-1.

But in your area you should be able to find some great used pianos....

Play skillfully!.....Psalm 33:3
V
V
You're in NYC, I'm sure there are many more Masons you can look at. A slightly used Mason will fit right in her price range. Unless it was heavily and in continuous use, a piano a few years old is completely indistinguishable from a brand new piano, except for the price. In the long lifespan of a piano, a couple of years is just a blip, but will save your friend thousands. I urge your friend to look for lightly used Masons. If she is adamant about a new piano the Kawai is very pleasant - she can't go wrong with that.

Steinway M & Yamaha P120
Online Content
Did you try a search at PianoMart?

Here's one example, a 2002 Boston for 12.5K:
http://www.pianomart.com/ViewAds.aspx?type=1&manufacturer=10&piano=7632

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Find a gently used Baldwin M. You won't find a better piano at 5' 2".

Steven

I know you said 5'3", but this seems like a very attractive deal. My only wonder is how it could have sat there since March.

http://www.pianomart.com/ViewAds.aspx?type=1&manufacturer=25&piano=7359

Mason & Hamlin A (2006); Yamaha P140
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Obviously my opinion is biased, but the Kawai RX-1 gives you a lot of bang for the buck. laugh

Kawai info: www.kawaius.com

Best of luck with your search.

Cordially,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
N
N
Originally posted by Clavierman:
She's already doing that to make room for a grand of any size. This apartment is a shoebox, believe me. A 5 footer will look oversized for the living room, dining room, office, entry way, "great room" the piano will be in.
[/QB][/QUOTE]

Of course, you know her "shoebox" better than we do but just bear in mind that pianos actually look smaller than you might think once they're situated in the room.

When my piano first arrived, it seemed to dominate, and even overwhelm, the room. But after a few days or weeks, I no longer remember, it somehow shrunk. Now I'm wondering whether I should have stepped up to a 7-footer. I only read about this "shrinking" phenomenon on Piano World after the purchase. Maybe it's just as well since it's possible the sound volume would have been excessive, but it's worth bearing in mind.

NYC Player -- I see you are in investment management. You wouldn't be Clavierman's "hedge fund" buddy with a small home in Greenwich would you? laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/24197.html

Mason & Hamlin A (2006); Yamaha P140
Originally posted by Deerwood Dad:
NYC Player -- I see you are in investment management. You wouldn't be Clavierman's "hedge fund" buddy with a small home in Greenwich would you? laugh

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/24197.html
no, his profile says he owns a steinway. remember that clavierman said he thought that was far too 'banal.'

Bösendorfer 214(CS)-495 48311
Yamaha CLP-240
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
she's actually a pretty decent pianist
5'6" would be really pushing things
If these a real true statements, why doesn't she opt for an excellent upright like the Steingraeber 122?

schwammerl.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by schwammerl:
she's actually a pretty decent pianist
5'6" would be really pushing things
If these a real true statements, why doesn't she opt for an excellent upright like the Steingraeber 122?

schwammerl.
The OP stated:

She's looking for a grand, as she prefers the action over that of an upright.
OTOH, a really fine vertical could be an excellent choice where space is tight. But I think the lady prefers a grand action. Not to mention, I'd guess the Steingraeber 122 is out of her budget. smile

N
N
I agree with the Baldwin idea. I like them in general, and for whatever reason there are occasional deals to be found on used ones. In my travels, I played a smaller one (R?) and thought it sounded quite nice for its size.

-Nocty
Not in the piano business.
1906 Baldwin C rebuilt 2008
J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
If one likes the tone and touch of a Knabe, and the price is affordable, why is it the decision clear?

Not knowing anything about Knabe, I played one in a hotel lobby in Italy and was positively surprised. Thought it was a small German brand.... Very good action IMO.

It is nice to have money over to keep the pianio in tune and by sheet music etc.

I'd go for the Knabe too. They have a unique tone that is deeper and rounder than the others.

Charles Walter Queen Anne 1520 (polished cherry)
Roland fp-4 (black)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission