2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Good morning everyone, i am in a bit of a pickle. I have a one year old cristofori 42" continental style upright that I would like to move into the area of my house that has hardwood floors. In the absence of casters there are these block looking things that I've nver seen before. Is there something I should put under my piano to keep from damaging my floors or is the absence of casters really nothing to worry about in this case?

This really goes without saying, but I plan on hiring movers for this.

Last edited by itsfreakingmeout; 10/21/12 09:01 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
There was a lengthy thread here not long ago about the functionality and durability of piano casters. http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1971853/1.html

I think the consensus was that casters on pianos are designed more for very short moves and not as furniture moving dolly application.

Since your piano does not have casters, you could use a furniture dolly with rubber wheels (which is likely what the piano movers will use) that would not damage or scratch your hardwood floor.

Good luck.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks Rick, but I'm talking about while the piano is sitting on the floors, after it's moved. I'm not interested in casters or their functionality since they are absent on my piano. I'm expecting the movers to do exactly what they've been getting paid to do and am not worried about them damaging the floors. I'm worried about the weight of the piano over time sinking into the floors....this is where caster cups come in, but idk what I'm supposed to do. I think I'm the only person who has a piano without casters.

Okay, sorry, I misunderstood your thread and what you were actually asking...

Forget everything I said. smile

You can buy small, round rubber pads for such an application. Or, see if the regular piano caster cups might work.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
There is some misunderstanding about the words "Caster" and "Caster cup".

Casters are wheels on the bottom of (most) pianos.
Caster Cups are small protective saucers which protect sensitive floors from the damage by the weight on the casters (wheels).

I think some people mistakenly call caster cups "casters" because they are thinking of "coasters" (a small mat or plate under your drink).

Cheers!

JG
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Supply

I think some people mistakenly call caster cups "casters" because they are thinking of "coasters" (a small mat or plate under your drink).
Cheers!

*giggle*

Now I want coasters with casters.

Learner
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
freakout, I would try an area rug large enough to place both the piano and the bench on. The constant sliding of the bench and feet around the pedals can, over time, wear marks into a wood floor. Often the rug will move with the piano, making it easy to slide away for cleaning and servicing.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If there are permanent feet (instead of wheels) on he bottom of your piano, the you are actually in luck. Many people mistakenly think that the little decorative wheels were made to roll across their beautiful hardwoods...people are less likely to make that mistake when there are no wheels.

Sitting on your floors, provided they are hardwood and not a soft wood like pine, nothing will happen. If you want caster cups, then you will need to carefully measure the size of the feet and then find the right match just like any other.

Caster cups are pretty rare among my upright customers because they are rarely needed.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
*giggle*

Now I want coasters with casters.
That got my imagination going...I'm now thinking of floating coasters. Air hockey pucks look a lot like drink coasters so can you imagine the puck with a drink floating on an air table with me?

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks for the help everybody, but as it turns out, I'll be moving it to a different spot in the house. Now the problem is finding a piano mover who will come out for 10 minutes of work at a decent price. I really miss my old piano which I could have just rolled across the room...

S
S
And what price would you consider decent?

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...Now the problem is finding a piano mover who will come out for 10 minutes of work at a decent price..."

You might ask the dealer, from whom you purchased the piano, for help. They already have movers on staff or on call, and they might be able to help you sometime when they're in the neighborhood.

Don't forget a good tip for the movers, in your decent price.

Clef

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission