2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thought I'd share this funny exchange with an audience member at the close of our last set last night. A blonde in the audience said that her grandfather wrote "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" and then said that he also wrote "Misty." We were good, and didn't tell her that she was wrong.

https://www.box.com/s/ctb6o6l4wav2dbxyofu9

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Maybe her grandfather has the same name. I met Roger Nichols....few people probably know who he is...also I met the guy that wrote ' all in the game' but I don't recall his name.

rada

Last edited by rada; 10/06/12 11:16 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I have a funny story from about 15 years ago. I was playing a wedding and doing the solo cocktail hour on the bandstand before the rest of the band came up to play.

I was playing a variety of tunes, basically anything that came to my head. I started playing that great old standard "Close your eyes" in a latin type groove. I played the melody and started to blow over a chorus. About in the middle of the song, this really old lady comes and stands by the side of the stage. I mean she looked to be well into her early '90s or late '80s. She just stood there for a few seconds watching me and then all of a sudden I hear this sharp, loud, clear as bell voice that rose over the racket of the guests..."I wrote that song you know". At first I couldn't believe such a powerful, cutting through the din voice was coming out of this diminutive older woman. I just kind of looked over at her smiled and acknowledged she was there...almost like-go away lady, you're bothering me.. wink

I came back in with the melody and all this time she's still standing on the side of the stage staring at me. Again she blurts out..."I wrote that song you know". I finish, pause and said hi; so are you saying you're the composer for this song "Close your eyes"? "Yeah, I wrote that a long time ago, probably before your mother was even born". ..

"Really" ! I said. "And you would be" ? She shoots right back almost indignantly, "Bernice Petkere, ever hear of me" ?! I said sure...you wrote "close your eyes". laugh She said.."yeah I wrote a lot of other ones too honey" ! grin

It was perfect, here's this old, scrappy gal who I didn't know too much about at that time except she wrote that tune. Later on I researched her to find out she was the most prolific female composer of the Tin Pan Alley days ! She wrote "Lullaby of the Leaves" which I first heard Tatum and then Hank Jones play. Always loved that song too.

Anyway she went on to say she enjoyed my rendition. That was pretty cool. Now whenever I play that song, which is quite frequently, I think of that chance meeting.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yeah Lullabye of the Leaves is very cool, even though it's not played too often at concerts.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Was this her?

[Linked Image]

The Eddie Higgins trio does a great version of Lullaby of the Leaves, and we pattern our version after that.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Do you mean the most recent trio ?
I always enjoy an Eddie Higgins solo, and he seems to attract a talented rhythm section.

I could only find a quartet version on you-tube.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by custard apple
Do you mean the most recent trio ?
I always enjoy an Eddie Higgins solo, and he seems to attract a talented rhythm section.

I could only find a quartet version on you-tube.

Right, the trio version isn't on YouTube. Here's the one I like:

http://www.amazon.com/Lullaby-Of-The-Leaves/dp/B000QMYMGA

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thank you Al, I will order the album.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission