2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

I will admit that on occasion I would "approach the bench," so to speak, to ask the teacher something or note something that I had observed at home, but constant interruption is completely counterproductive.

Interesting - apart from the use of past tense instead of present tense I could have written this post almost word for word! (although I haven't been put in the 'sin bin' and banished from lessons yet!).

I'm probably more actively involved in daughters violin lessons than her piano - but thats because her teacher makes a point of involving me - asking me to watch from certain angles, comment on various technical aspects, occasionaly accompanist duties etc etc (even getting me to engineer a crude 'bow correction tool' out of a toilet roll tube, a pair of scissors and a couple of blobs of bluetack!). But still my involvement is driven entirely by teacher direction and she remains the undisputed 'director' of the 3 person team!

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
R
R
I usually try to restrict my conversations to the very beginning or very end, and mostly be an observer in between.

K
kck Offline
K
Originally Posted by DadAgain
Yep - I'm a permanent fixture in daughter's lessons, but I sit there and don't interrupt unless questioned or invited to comment.

Me too - except I'm sitting in on my son's piano lessons. I don't say a single thing unless prompted and our teacher clearly lays this out in the policy. I'm biased towards allowing a parent to sit in if the child is ok with it. If my son ever wanted to take his own notes and kick me out, I'd be fine with it.

I think an involved and engaged parent can be a music teacher's greatest ally. But interrupting during the lesson? Particularly mid-piece? Yikes. I agree this behavior is extreme. I would definitely let the parent know that you appreciate their involvement, but you would prefer to drive the lesson. Maybe give them a moment to say something at the beginning and ask questions at the end. My daughter's violin teacher particularly a nice method of saying to my daughter at the beginning "so if there anything your mom might like to tell me before we start?" and at the end "anything else mom might like to ask before we finish up?". Our piano teacher particularly encourages e-mail use for questions.

Last edited by kck; 10/10/12 10:16 PM.

Amateur musician, piano and violin parent
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Does he do that when the kid's practising?

I have a feeling, yes, this has been their routine.

Now, you see, I would see that as a problem too. The kid probably deals with is because he's used to it. But still a problem that likely won't go away by itself.

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi, checking in here with an update on this situation.
Here's what happened:
I had a quick chat with the dad before his son's lesson yesterday and borrowed Minnie may's line suggested in this thread , "sometimes I choose to ignore issues because they're not central to the skill we're working on at the moment". I felt that this went well. Dad was very apologetic and said piano lessons are brand new for him as a parent, he wanted to support his son by sitting in on the lessons, but he was not aware of "piano lesson etiquette".
It really is up to us as teachers to not be afraid to bring up issues with parents. I was afraid of offending the dad in this case. But the short discussion went well.
He went out and ran an errand during the lesson.

Piano Teacher
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I'm glad. Well done you for broaching this in such a way as not to have him lose face. I do wish they would all care so much! smile

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
It was tricky and I was nervous about offending him. I did mention that I wished every parent cared so much like he does. I felt like it went O.K. Thanks very much for everyone's suggestions here!

Piano Teacher
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
This is awesome, Barb860 -- it sounds like the conversation went the best direction possible! And I love that he's just being over-zealous in his support -- I mean, isn't that way better than not caring? I'm glad this went well for you!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's still jarring to see my "name" in a thread title ... [Linked Image]

This is the outcome I probably would have forecast. It's easy to build a mental image of grand confrontation on the horizon when the real issue is a bit of overzealous insecurity on his part.

And you do want parents who care.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T

Hey, you're famous! smile

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Hey, you're famous! smile

Yes he is!
and so is his cat, "Piano Cat", who we haven't heard about lately....does he miss Piano Son, away at college?

Piano Teacher
Alas, Piano*Cat passed away about a year and a half ago:

Lance the Piano*Cat

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Alas, Piano*Cat passed away about a year and a half ago:

Lance the Piano*Cat

So sorry to hear! I must've missed your post a while back....Piano Cat was quite unique, sitting on laps like that at the piano....

Piano Teacher
D
D
Alas, Piano*Cat passed away about a year and a half ago...

I dont have a cat - but until recently our dog (Xena the King Charles Cavalier Spaniel) may have been a contender for "Piano*dog". She sleeps for approximately 22 hours a day (being an old dog) - and manages to ignore almost all manner of noises coming from the Piano, but she DID have a habit of waking up and coming to investigate whenever I played the slow movement of Beethovens Pathetique... No other piece of music seemed to get her attention - but any time I started playing the Beethoven she'd wander into the room approach the bench and see whats going on.

I have no idea whether there's something deep in this particular work that has an effect on a canine amygdala, or whether I had subconsciously got into a pattern of playing that just before feeding her and the association had somehow stuck - but I'm sure it was something truly remarkable as I'm almost sure she could identify that piece distinctly from others!

Alas this behaviour has stopped (I dont play the Beethoven so often any more and I think the dog may be a little hard of hearing these days anyway) - so my chances of a creative piece of research resulting in a PhD in Psychology have no doubt passed.

[sorry - completely off-topic!]

Last edited by DadAgain; 10/18/12 11:15 PM.

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission