2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I have this small situation, although the tendency to 'do nothing' seems to be wise right now... :-/

I have an adult student and we're getting along fine. So when he asked me for more books, etc, I offered to go and buy them for him. Since I can also get a discount as a music teacher, I could save him some $$$...

All this is fine, but the theory book I bought is AWFUL. It's got several errors, typos, non cleaned layout (the words actually are ON the staves, not above or bellow, which makes it hard to read) and above all there's NO mention about music rests! NOTHING at all!

I mean ok, one could get away with a few typos (I should know about that), but to actually do NOT have any information about rests?!?!? Come on... It's a basic theory book!

So my question and dilemma:

The publisher is the best known publisher in Greece and they have the biggest line of stores here. My scores are in their stores.

So do I call them to let them know that this book SUCKS? Do I offer a public review? Do I remain silent? It's an AWFUL book, I repeat that! frown And it cost almost 27$!!! including the teachers discount.

Ideas?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Musicians are not the best writers in the world. Some of the theory textbooks my students are using for their music class in school are just ___________ (fill in with your worst adjective).

Why don't you just teach the theory by yourself? You can make your own worksheets easily with Finale. It's probably better than anything you can buy, really.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
time restrains AZN! No wife at home, and multi businesses running...

But really, since it's published it should go through a few proof reads. This is a publisher that has published literally thousands of books, so they MUST know the drill by now! :P

And it's not the language that I'm bothered with, it's the obvious errors and missing info... :-/ This is not about how good a writer the musician is, but how carefully it was proof read... frown

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You could offer to make the corrections for them . . . for a price . . .

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I think you absolutely need to let them know about the errors -- but unfortunately it probably won't help YOU out. frown

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Write your own book, and give them first option at publishing it!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Nikolas, my first thought is that I simply would not buy that book again. But then I saw Minniemay's response. I like that idea better. smile

M
M
Return it. If enough people do they'll get the message.

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1
K
K
Definitely return the book! There is a difference between simply not liking a book and being able to cite multiple problems with it that should NOT be present.

I'm not sure what your options are in Greece, but that wouldn't fly here in the states...

Returning to learn piano and violin after many years distracted by life.
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Oh, I will return it alright. But I think that the people in the company should know that the released a sucky book!

I can't ask them to publish anything, since I have my own publishing company. This is the main problem here. That we are practically rivals in the same country, so anything I say that goes a step too far will look like an aggressive move from musica ferrum... :-/

K
K
If anything, it could be seen as a sign of good will and non-aggression...

"I noticed the following serious errors in your text, and I do feel the book would receive better reviews and thus sell more if you correct them, as well as many more that I cannot afford the time to list."

Something to that effect.

Returning to learn piano and violin after many years distracted by life.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...anything I say that goes a step too far will look like an aggressive move..."

From you, Nikolas? There are some people who post here that I might be worried about (maybe even myself), but hardly from you.

The previous poster's suggestion as to form was pretty good. Mention the most egregious errors, and add that the product was so flawed that you had to return it, and will not be able to recommend it to your students.

I daresay they've already gotten a few of these, and a single glance will tell them the rest.

BTW, this is one reason I like to buy books of all kinds, in person, from stores where I can see them. Many things can go wrong with printing, binding, editing, choice of sizes for papers and types.

Trust to your natural gentlemanly character when you are writing this note, and you will be fine.

Clef

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission