2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1975169 10/18/12 12:51 PM
C
CyndiV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi!
I am an adult student taking lessons from a private piano teacher. Currently working through Level 4 Favorite Classic Melodies by Bastien.

I have been experiencing some frustration with my lessons lately and am wondering if it's truly just *ME* (highly possible) or maybe is a problem others experience.

I play at home on an older Fischer baby grand. It's in tune and has lovely, light action...easy to play. I practice my pieces and feel ready for my lessons but when I get there...it all goes down hill.

My teacher has a digital Clavinova. The action is much harder and I find myself thrown off, distracting me, killing my timing and making mistakes because the 'feel' is so different.

Do you experience the same thing with other students? Is this a hurdle I need to just 'get over'? It's caused a lot of frustration for me, especially as the pieces have become more technically challenging (for my level).

Please let me know if you've experienced this with other students and what/how you over come it?

With thanks
Cyndi

CyndiV #1975193 10/18/12 01:34 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Have you recorded your practice at home and in a lesson and talked to your teacher about it?

My daughter plays on 3 pianos - at home we have a digital piano. She plays on a grand in piano class and in a practice room she plays on an upright. The only HUGE difference for her is the pedal. At home it sounds okay but on the upright is sounds very what she calls "mushy" she also complains that one note hurts her bones because of the sound (?). The grand it sounds okay but her teacher at every lesson re-writes where she pedals on the music because she isn't happy with the sound either. I guess I'm saying the transition between different pianos isn't a big deal for her, but she recognizes their quirks.

CyndiV #1975202 10/18/12 01:45 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyndiV
I play at home on an older Fischer baby grand. It's in tune and has lovely, light action...easy to play. I practice my pieces and feel ready for my lessons but when I get there...it all goes down hill.

My teacher has a digital Clavinova. The action is much harder and I find myself thrown off, distracting me, killing my timing and making mistakes because the 'feel' is so different.

Not to disparage Clavinovas (I have two), but if you want piano lessons, why not seek out a teacher who teaches on one? The difference between an upright and a Clavinova is significant. The difference between a grand and a Clavinova can certainly affect your playing at lessons. I fully understand that beginning teachers have limited resources and may well have to begin the teaching career using a Clavinova, but if it's impacting your lessons to this degree, then I think the ball is in your court to make adjustments.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
CyndiV #1975232 10/18/12 02:28 PM
C
CyndiV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you both for your replies!

I have not recorded myself yet but that's a GREAT idea! I am going to do that so that she can hear me playing all the way through with my own piano...

As far as locating another teacher...I would have to give this some serious thoughts...She's the piano accompanist at my church and the director of the choir in which I sing. She's a wonderful lady and I am grateful to call her a friend. She does take her music very seriously, so she might be offended if I suggested that the switch back and forth was causing me to stumble. After all, she plays beautifully on our Boston grand at church and practices herself on a Clavinova to accompany various shows with CYT (Christian Youth Theatre) and plays whatever instrument is made available. That said, she was a music major at UCSD...so I would hope she could play on anything...

I fear she might think I am making excuses for not performing well... and maybe I am? It's just weird!

The action between her piano and mine is just worlds apart!

Any other ideas?
Cyndi

CyndiV #1975246 10/18/12 03:04 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If changing teacher is not a good idea, how about invite your teacher/friend come to your house for one lesson and play for her on your piano. If she is surprise how well you play, then explain to her your situation.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
CyndiV #1975284 10/18/12 04:19 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Couple of things that are normal:

Playing on front of teacher worse than in practice. It really bothering you.
Noticing any difference between pianos as very significant (part of the learning curve is being able to cope on new instruments, it's a bit like being able to drive different cars).

The above are completely normal. Now, I personally would rather take lessons on an acoustic piano. But, as you like your teacher and they have a Clavinova, I'll tell you about the little girls I taught this evening, on their Clavinova at their place. These girls are tiny. one is 8, and one has just turned 6. They would melt your heart. The youngest, she has teensy weensy fingers that look like cooked spaghetti.

And guess what? They manage that Clavinova just fine. Now, if they can do it then so can you! cool So you get to your next lesson and you get yourself in gear and you show that darned instrument just who's boss.

CyndiV #1975290 10/18/12 04:30 PM
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Could you have your lesson at the church?

Unless she really needs the money from teaching you, she may care less than you think about you looking for an acoustic piano to take lessons on but be aware; It's highly likely that you will also be distracted by the differences between your light action b-grand and any other piano with a heavier action. We see posts about this at least once a month.

disclaimer:

I'm another adult piano student

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
CyndiV #1975338 10/18/12 06:08 PM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
My teacher's grand had (*) a heavier action than my light action upright. I considered it a pleasure to play on, despite the unevenness of sound my lack of control of it led me to produce. After about a year, it finally started to feel natural for me. But I don't regret any of those 52 hours spent getting used to it.

Does your teacher's Clavinova have a touchweight adjustment? My teacher's studio recital last year was on a Clavinova, and I believe she adjusted the touch to make it lighter.

(*) I say "had" -- it still has the same touch, but for financial reasons I am no longer taking lessons.

(I am a student, not a teacher.)

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
CyndiV #1975348 10/18/12 06:33 PM
P
P
Dear Cyndi
Almost everything has already been said: Recording your playing at home, inviting your teacher for a lesson on your piano, asking her if she would teach you at church...

Here's another thought: For us pianists it's essential that we're able to adjust to all kinds of instruments. So, the best thing you can do: practise on as many different instruments as you can: the church grand, an upright,... but most important: do practice on a Clavinova. While practising, you don't have to perform, so there's no pressure and you have all the time you need to have your fingers adjust to the instrument. Afterwards, you might feel strange on your own instrument for an instant. But if you do this several times, you'll be fine.

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)
CyndiV #1975420 10/18/12 09:41 PM
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I'm curious as to what music stores use in the little cubicles that they rent out to teachers who teach in the store. Our local music store has only digitals in their teacher rooms.

It would be wonderful if all students owned a wonderful acoustic piano (like a Kawai, Boston, Yamaha) and if all teachers taught on high quality grands. I guess in a perfect world...

As another poster said, it's important to be able to adjust to whatever piano you come in contact with. I had a pretty lame Gulbransen spinet growing up, with a super-light action that made it difficult to play mp. Then I'd perform at competitions where they had Steinways and it completely threw me off.

I would ask the teacher if you could have a lesson on a different piano. But be careful what you wish for; some acoustic pianos are worse than playing on a Clavinova.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
CyndiV #1975424 10/18/12 09:58 PM
P
P
As a pianist, you don't get to carry your instrument around. You do have to get used to playing on different instruments. Just the nature of it.

That being said, discuss this with your teacher, particularly on how to approach a piece from a technical standpoint with lighter action. I know it's a bit of an adjustment from going to one piano to the other. Ask for her advice on how to handle the situation.

In general, play on as many pianos as you can. Clavinovas are good in the sense that you get a grand piano feel on a keyboard. Everyone has their preferences on action. Every piano is created differently. Find what brings out your playing the best, and learn how to adapt to other pianos.

Pianist/Accompanist/Piano Instructor

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission