2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 10 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Yamaha apartment size ca.1970.
Moderately grooved hammers.
A4 and B4 have a metallic ticking sound.
Needling grooves does nothing.
Ticking present when each string is isolated.
Filing doesn't help.
Needling shoulders doesn't help.
Hammer head, catcher is not loose.
Ticking is on attack.
No other notes have it and it is obvious.
Steaming doesn't help.
Suggestions?

Mark never replied to questions on the type of piano but I just reread his post and it indeed is a vertical, not a grand. How can we be sure? He mentions that the "catcher is not loose."

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I hope we find out soon what it was! The suspense is killing me!!
[Linked Image]

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Silverwood Pianos

Originally Posted by CC2 and Chopin lover
I find it interesting that most assumed it was an upright. "Apartment sized" what?
If it's a grand, check the set screw on the flange where the damper wire enters the hole in the flange. Also, check to see if the damper is making contact with the string as it rises or falls. You specifically referenced it as a "metallic" ticking sound. I would first look at places where metal can possibly hit metal.

People use the term “apartment size” to describe a small console upright piano. The word "spinet” described an early type of virginal.

In much sales literature of the era when they were produced (mostly in too great a number) the 36" vertical piano was called a spinet. I believe there is a pronunciation difference, though. . .
The 36" vertical piano is called a SPIN et and the virginal is called a Spuh NETTE

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Everyone,

I had selected "Watch Topic" but never received any emails on the replies. I just read them all now. Some points:
It is an upright. I never imagined that anyone would have been confused. I have never heard of an "apartment size" grand. Baby grand and parlour grand, yes, but not apartment size grand.
I will try isolating the hammer assembly from the damper/wippen assembly.
I will look at the bridge/strings.
What's a damper tail felt?
Not sure if it has spring loops but the tick is exactly on attack, so that would be a coincidence. I'll check.
I'll drop some ca glue on the hammer/shank joint.
Will check capstans.
Not sure if it has damper block screws with metal cylinders. Will check.
I know the sound of bridle wire clicking. This is not it but I'll check to be sure.
Loose action bracket would be heard on more notes I think. Will check. (They are close to one)
Hammer rail stabilizer?
Virginal? Hmmm...
Re:replacing flanges with cords. For the love of Pete! Cut the center pins close to the flange. Messed that one up TWICE! (That was for me in case I read this again in 20 years)
Will check the flange screws and butt plates, if present.
Will check keytop.

I will get back to you when I try these out.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. (The suspense is also killing me.)

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Comments from a pianist -

I have never heard anyone refer to any piano as "apartment size," and certainly never from an RPT.

A pianist will refer to, and use the terms, Spinet, Console, Studio, or Grand. Grands would be subdivided into Small, Medium, Recital, and Concert. "Baby" doesn't enter in at all.

In the lobby of Orchestra Hall in Chicago, after hearing a performance of the Brahms 2nd. Piano Concerto, a woman next to me exclaimed to her husband; "Wasn't that a beautiful baby grand!"

If a Steinway-S has a Dampp-Chaser system, and you keep it filled with milk, will it grow into an S&S-D? I sure would hate having to deal with an adolescent piano on a daily basis.

grin

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I would hate having to milk it... smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Mark:

The damper tail felt is located where the damper spoon contacts the tail of the damper.

I agree that it does get rather confusing sometimes when posters omit to say what type of piano they are referring to - It would be much easier for all concerned if either "upright" or "grand" were used .... as we generally do here in the UK. wink

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Comments from a pianist -

I have never heard anyone refer to any piano as "apartment size," and certainly never from an RPT.

grin

This marketing term became popular in Toronto in the 60's when there was a huge high-rise building spree, and now, around here, has become common. Lately, I have been hearing 'condo sized'.

Take care,

Steve

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Marty, Referring to a "Steinway" piano as if it were a cow has to be the ultimate Steinway bashing. Sorry, but that's the way I veal.

Last edited by Dave B; 10/15/12 12:13 PM.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I would hate having to milk it...

Oh oh, looks like you guys are going to "milk" this for all it's worth...

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
Dave B #1973628 10/15/12 02:37 PM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dave B
Marty, Referring to a "Steinway" piano as if it were a cow has to be the ultimate Steinway bashing. Sorry, but that's the way I veal.

Wouldn't an S&S-S with a D-C system be a Baby Bull with a lisp? It's has a, well, er, um, hangy, you know what I mean. His daddy was an S&S Bull D-urham.

See, I'm not cowed by your reply since have no beef with you at all. All of this is an udder waste of time anyway.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Dear Mark,

On older Yamahas I have also found that the catcher is the culprit. It seeeeeeeems tight to the finger, but pull the hammer and really give it a tweak. It may twist right out. I prefer to KNOW where the issue was, rather than just dotting CA glue on the joints and hoping I found it. ;-)

Concur on that loose butt-plate on center-pin. Great idea to just shim with paper! I've been re-pinning with next size. Thanks!

Best suggestion, if the problem refuses to be found, is to swap the parts with the neighboring key. Do the hammer first; just the hammer. See if the noise moves or stays. Hammer or catcher.

If it stays; swap the whippen. Pinning on the whip and jack. A sloppy jack can be a 'clicker', too.

If it stays; try moving the keys (...and remove a couple if needed for space). Could be capstan. Could be key-lead. Could be keytop. But, by swapping things around, you can be CERTAIN which part is the culprit.

Damper lever, too if nothing else has done the job. You may, in severe wear, find that the spoon has carved a divot clear down to the wood, or compressed the lever-felt so completely that it is hard as a rock. Rare, but I have seen that, too!

Concur with Ryan on the cord-job. Major plus to just do the flanges in place. Zero traveling, shaping, or voicing when done. Just replace the cord, and pop the hammers back in! Changing the flanges creates a great deal of work...so why? Somebody did an article on that last year...PTG Journal.

I am,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
If a Steinway-S has a Dampp-Chaser system, and you keep it filled with milk, will it grow into an S&S-D? I sure would hate having to deal with an adolescent piano on a daily basis.

I sub at a local church about once a month where the piano's a Kawai 6' (grand). After service I always fill the D-C if it needs it, and I usually get a few inquisitive looks. I always say "I'm watering it and hoping it'll grow into a concert grand" but only about 1 in 5 people get the joke.

Duh! Now I know why it's not working - I've been putting in water, not milk! Marty, you're my hero. I just hope it's a while before K grows too long to fit into her cover.

I'd rather be practicing wink
Kawai K-3, Roland FP-7F
Now: Brahms Op. 118, Bach French Suite #5
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TunerJeff

Concur with Ryan on the cord-job. Major plus to just do the flanges in place. Zero traveling, shaping, or voicing when done. Just replace the cord, and pop the hammers back in! Changing the flanges creates a great deal of work...so why? Somebody did an article on that last year...PTG Journal.

I am,

I know that "Somebody" you are talking about! He was one of those PTG heavy hitters - I think he was Institute Director a few years ago. He works somewhere out on the Oregon coast! He has an amazing collection of piano company caps and hasn't paid for one of them. Am I getting warm?? cool

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
M
M
Gettin' in here late but....
hammer butt centerpins are notorious for walking to the right or left. Sometimes they will push their neighboring pin out with it.
If they are just in contact you will hear a little "tick" as the pin turns.

Cause is a loose butt plate screw.

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Senior, Emeritus
Marshall University
Huntington, WV
M
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
M
And the winner is.....Ryan.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I live in Montreal but tune pianos on PEI and I am here this spring.

The crazy thing is, it took up 45 minutes of my time last Fall to research and look around to try and find the problem, unsuccessfully. Before I came back to this thread, I sat down at the piano and 30 seconds later, found the broken hammer thread; the spring was up and hitting the metal rail on attack.

Thanks to all who replied.

Ryan, your new set of luggage is in the mail ;-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission