2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, David Boyce, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Another thing that still hits me is that everyone in the book is a real person! The places are real. Everything is still there, and everyone is still around. It wasn’t a history book where everyone mentioned has been dead for a long time. These people are still out there, being completely amazing and awesome! I can’t begin to describe how much I would love to meet a lot of the people mentioned in this book, like Marc and Carl, or go and see the places mentioned, like Beethoven’s or the Grotrian factory in Braunschweig.

you should do it!

i have to say sometimes it is a bit weird when i go back to piano row and i start feeling like i'm a character in my own novel.

oh, wait a minute....

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
A
A
I was recently on a very short trip to New York. I am in the market for a grand piano, but decided that this was not the right trip to visit piano row.....just not enough time (plus I have found some great pianos in CA!).

BUT, I was pleasantly surprised one evening when I entered a small grocery store on 57th St, and realized the store went all the way through to 58th St, which was the direction I was heading. I stepped out to 58th St, and immediately on my left was Beethoven Pianos! They were closed, but had a chance to peek through the windows. Was fun to see it up close!!

Terri, I loved your book. It also resonated with me on many levels. I'm from Montana originally, and do get back there quite a bit. I have family in the Missoula area, so could picture a lot settings in the book!

Shigeru Kawai SK6 (as of 10/22/12!!)
Ivers and Pond upright
MTNA, CAPMT
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
amy, i know that grocery store well--that's where i shop when i'm staying in the city. my BIL has an apartment a half a block away.

have you checked out the grotrian dealer in san rafael? his son apprenticed at grotrian and i love how they prepare their pianos.

thanks for your kind words about my book. cool to hear from a fellow montanan.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

A
A
Yikes, just realized in my reply I wrote Terri instead of Perri......really sorry about that!

Yes, I did trek all the way up to San Rafael, but they didn't have any Grotrians available at that time. I was looking forward to playing one, but that's the only place in the area that has them.

Shigeru Kawai SK6 (as of 10/22/12!!)
Ivers and Pond upright
MTNA, CAPMT
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks everyone for recommending this book. Got it on my ipad and couldn't stop reading. It is such a wonderful mixture of emotion and hard scientific fact.

a. Engrossing personal account?...Check
b. Interesting plot line?...Check
c. Well researched?...Check
d. Educational?...Somewhat surprisingly, check
e. Happy ending?...Well like learning to play, its not about the destination, it is all about the journey.

Thank-you Perri. Your book enlightened and touched me.

[Linked Image]
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
thank you smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After reading this thread I finally decided to order myself a copy since I've been meaning to read for a while now, but trying to buy through Amazon, or from a few sellers through Amazon, I keep getting told that I can't get it shipped to "my country".
I've run into this a few times in the past but have always managed to get around it with a few different attempts from different sellers. ("Where Did The Towers Go" by Dr. Judy Woods was the last time I had to really work to get a book).

I'm only in Canada fer cripes sake so I don't know why it is so difficult.

(Although with our present evil Prime Minister I understand if a few countries have decided to impose a trade embargo with us but I wouldn't think this book would be covered under that).

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Sparky,

If it is the same situation in Canada as in the US, the problem is with the transfering of funds internationally. Here, you have to notify your bank that you will be conducting international transactions and then it, and future transactions, will go through. If you are trying to use PayPal, there is a block in place until you contact your back or credit card company.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Try ABE books UK - I've found them great for international. Make sure its the UK site, though.

I also had a feeling that Perri was selling directly - you could PM her.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Sparky,

If it is the same situation in Canada as in the US, the problem is with the transfering of funds internationally. Here, you have to notify your bank that you will be conducting international transactions and then it, and future transactions, will go through. If you are trying to use PayPal, there is a block in place until you contact your back or credit card company.

Actually Marty, I buy stuff online from the US practically daily, much of it using PayPal.
In fact I purchase most of my electronics and car parts and most of everything else via the Internet so I am not new to this at all.
But once in a while you come across an American company that thinks the world stops at their borders and don't realize how much business they are losing when the won't ship out of the US (although that is probably not the reason here).

For example, when I purchased a replacement roof for my convertible online I notified one company that I was buying from their competitor because they themselves did not ship to Canada whereas their competitor did. Sure enough within a few weeks I noticed that they now said "We ship to Canada" on their website.

In fact I've done this with a few companies and several have updated their shipping policies. I personally think it is just some companies take a longer time to get up to speed when it comes to dealing with the new Internet marketing environment.

The buyer is paying for shipping so it shouldn't be an issue.

On several occasions I have also informed a few companies that they should NOT arbitrarily change the shipping method when shipping to Canada because most Americans do not realize that when they ship via UPS or FED EX (instead of USPS) that there are significant additional fees for "brokerage and handling" that the customer has to pay upon delivery (often about 27% of the purchase price!).
That is why many of us savvy Canadians who purchase online only do so using USPS.

However why I've been refused this book by three different sellers through the Amazon.com site is beyond me and I really don't want to go to the ridiculously overpriced Amazon.ca site if I can avoid it.
(Amazon.com = $6.80 vs Amazon.ca = $16.79)

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 10/14/12 10:02 PM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
i sold out of the hardbound first editions i had a long time ago, and i made those available because so many people wanted a hardbound copy to give as a gift (it was a small initial press run and it went out of print).

people who want an inscribed pb copy can contact shakespeare books or fact and fiction books in missoula, mt, and they have signed copies. you can find the contact info on the "buy" page on my web site (see link in my signature). i know for a fact that they have shipped the book overseas in the past.

if cost is an issue, have you tried the library? smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Thank you so much for clarifying how to pronounce your last name! I'm teaching Grand Obsession to my college English class and I've been slaughtering your name. I looked it up on line and found it was a Czech name, so it was "kuhneesha" or "k-neesh-uh" or “kneets-uh." Knife with a "Z" is much easier. I should have just come to the source!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A great book - looks like it's on it's way to being a classic, being taught in college. I better keep my copy in pristine condition. Thanks, Perri.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Originally Posted by Stryder87
I don’t even know where to begin about this book. I got it two weeks ago and read through it in a week. I could have ripped through it faster, but I wanted to savour it!

I rarely read non-fiction, but after reading the good reviews it had on this forum, I got it, and I can’t even begin to describe how glad I am! When I read paragraph 3 on page 19, I was in tears. That was me… in every way… all my life. I knew right then this book was going to be a real experience. There was so much in it that I related to, either the feelings felt, or the experiences described. There were so many things that I also had experienced, especially when I was a kid, but I never really understood or knew how to describe because I was so young. By the end of the book, I had had so many eye-opening moments that a whole world had suddenly opened up and I really understood what I had been perceiving, although I didn’t understand it at the time. The explanations about why she felt how she did, how the vibrations and tones were compatible with her own and took her away really resonated with me. The part about notes relating to colour made me understand things I see as well. It was such a major revelation about myself, I felt like I was right there beside her the whole way, learning the same things about myself that she was about herself. It’s truly been an altering experience. The biggest impact was, as I mentioned, finally having someone put into words the things I’ve felt and experienced myself, and knowing that someone else out there understands it, because I’ve always been looked at like I was an idiot whenever I tried to express it.

Another thing that still hits me is that everyone in the book is a real person! The places are real. Everything is still there, and everyone is still around. It wasn’t a history book where everyone mentioned has been dead for a long time. These people are still out there, being completely amazing and awesome! I can’t begin to describe how much I would love to meet a lot of the people mentioned in this book, like Marc and Carl, or go and see the places mentioned, like Beethoven’s or the Grotrian factory in Braunschweig. I feel quite honoured to be on this forum where so many of you showed your true colours in trying to help her, and I get to associate with you all. It’s truly a wonderful thing.

The chapters ‘Revelation’ and ‘Physics and Metaphysics’ were real eye-openers because they just made so much sense and reinforced what I already instinctively knew inside but never actually researched. The section where she travels to Germany to understand how pianos are made and why they have the effect they do was… so… I can’t think of the word for it, but it was awesome.

Thank you so much Perri for sharing those experiences with us all. I can’t begin to describe how heartwarming it was to know that there are a lot of us out there who feel the same way but don’t really have others to talk about it to, because most people just don’t understand. I’m never going to forget this book or how it touched my heart, and I’m sure I’ll be reading it again very soon. Knowing that there are other kindred spirits out there really makes me glad I decided to take up the piano, even at my age. Music really is a unifying thing.

I could go on and on, but I think I blasted everyone with a big enough wall of text! blush

I am a pretty critical reader and also found the book to prove inherently engaging. Obviously, I am a fan of all things piano, however, the engagement went beyond just the content. The writing style was also wonderful. So, I would highly recommend the book smile

D
D
I too would highly recommend this book. An excellent read and I found it quite the inspiration when after a considerable amount of time, resumed playing the piano. The power of sheer will and determination.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I'm eagerly awaiting the german translation version being due in 2013.. ! I will recommend it ASAP.

Last edited by BerndAB; 01/04/13 07:04 PM. Reason: pyting error

Pls excuse any bad english.

Centennial D Sept 1877

Working on Berceuse op.57
Nocturnes op. 9-1,3 15-1,2,3 27-2 32-1,2
Going Home (Mark Knopfler)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
susan, if you have any other questions, or would like a Q&A for your students, just let me know. you can reach me through my website.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
berndAB,
last i heard the german translation will be published in dec. of 2013. when i hear something more definitive i will post it here.

thank you!!

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Thanks to all for posting their recommendations/reviews. I just downloaded it as my first Kindle book !

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Here's the latest on the German translation of GRAND OBSESSION:

http://www.dtv.de/buecher/der_verlo...html?antworten=0&show=lesetipps#tabs

To be released in November of this year! smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission