Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (Almaviva, anamnesis, Agent88, 8opus, accordeur, Alex Hutor, 24 invisible), 1,239 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1972108 - 10/11/12 10:49 PM Thanksgiving and Christmas fees  
Feminicricket Offline
Feminicricket  Offline

USA
Could anyone please tell me what the going rate is for an experienced pianist to play for a 6 hour gig in South Florida upscale hotel restaurant during Thanksgiving and Christmas? Thank you.

LEARNING AND IMPROVING NEVER STOPS. It would be boring if it did.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1972157 - 10/12/12 12:37 AM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Feminicricket]  
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
The "going rate" should be what the market can bear. I don't think that there is any single "going rate." What does an "experienced pianist" usually charge for his/her gigs?

Should there be a different rate for Thanksgiving and Christmas compared to non-holiday times? That too, is probably a personal choice.

A six-hour gig seems pretty demanding. How well does one play - even with breaks - during a six-hour stint?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#1972315 - 10/12/12 12:37 PM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Feminicricket]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
I can't open the other thread with the same title as this one, although it appears - as of this posting - that 59 others have read it.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#1972374 - 10/12/12 03:04 PM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Feminicricket]  
Kreisler Offline
Kreisler  Offline

Iowa City, IA
I'd probably ask somewhere between $300-500. And I'd also put together a contract that spelled out the breaks. Something like 4 ten-minute breaks and a 25 minute break in the middle for lunch/dinner.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1972494 - 10/12/12 09:01 PM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Kreisler]  
Feminicricket Offline
Feminicricket  Offline

USA
Thank you very much.Your reply is very helpful. I believe that is the rate that pianists should charge for holidays too.
I was trying to get an idea so that I don`t overcharge or undercharge.
P.S. There is two of the same threads because one just does not open.

#1972518 - 10/12/12 10:06 PM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: BruceD]  
Mark_C Online content
Mark_C  Online Content

New York
Originally Posted by BruceD
I can't open the other thread with the same title as this one, although it appears - as of this posting - that 59 others have read it.

You can open it by clicking on the last post rather than on the thread title.

It's a trick that works for any thread that fails to open the usual way.

#1972538 - 10/12/12 10:52 PM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Mark_C]  
BruceD Offline
BruceD  Offline

Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by BruceD

You can open it by clicking on the last post rather than on the thread title.

It's a trick that works for any thread that fails to open the usual way.

Thanks, Mark.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
#1972669 - 10/13/12 07:31 AM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Feminicricket]  
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Numerian  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I get $50 to $75 an hour for about two hours of playing, but that is not for working on the holiday itself. A lot of people pay me in gift cards and/or cash. Maybe you should ask for $300 in cash for 6 hours work plus the same amount paid in-kind, with a $300 voucher covering dinner for two at their upscale restaurant. They might find that deal a lot easier to accept than getting approval for $600 cash up front.

#1972686 - 10/13/12 08:19 AM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Feminicricket]  
Dave Horne Online content
6000 Post Club Member
Dave Horne  Online Content
6000 Post Club Member

Vught, The Netherlands
In situations like this there's a low figure and a high figure. Can you get more work out of them in the future? Is the piano in good condition or do you have to bring your own set up? (I charge for bringing my own equipment.)

I would think a low price would be $40 per hour and a high price around $75. I know guys who would charge $100 or more per hour but since the work situation isn't what it used to be, everyone is settling for less.

I find it easier to deal with people by stating what I ask per hour with a minimum of three hours. (For me a three hour job is the perfect length, a six hour job is too much like work.)

website | mp3 files | Yamaha AvantGrand N3 | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
#1972751 - 10/13/12 11:33 AM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Dave Horne]  
Mark_C Online content
Mark_C  Online Content

New York
Obviously the figures I suggested (on the other thread) were way too low. But even though they were wrong grin I'll say why I would have thought the figures everyone else is giving are too high.

I have trouble seeing how those figures are tenable for the restaurant, in terms of the monetary value that the music will have for them -- i.e. looking at how much business it will give them, or how much business they would lose if they don't have the music.

Evidently I'm misjudging that -- and for the sake of music and musicians, I'm glad, but it's hard for me to see it. Maybe the thing is that it goes beyond how I was looking at it, like that it aids the general standing of the restaurant and hotel in a needed way.

#1972759 - 10/13/12 11:59 AM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Feminicricket]  
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member
LadyChen  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Canada
Wow, six hours is a long time. I'd definitely be careful about what goes into your contract -- you're going to want some breaks to rest and eat.

My restaurant gigs are usually 4 hours over brunch (10 a.m. - 2 p.m.). I play three 45-min sets with 15 minute breaks, and my last set is an hour. For this sort of thing, I charge $100 for the first hour (basically $100 for showing up -- if the gig is shorter than an hour, I'll still ask for $100), and then $50 additional hour. So $250 for 4 hours.

#1972841 - 10/13/12 03:54 PM Re: Thanksgiving and Christmas fees [Re: Feminicricket]  
Feminicricket Offline
Feminicricket  Offline

USA
Thank you everyone. Yes, six hours and more is long. 3 hour gigs are the best. I might be playing more than 6 hours but I have an idea what to charge. The sad part is that the plumber I hired charges $95 an hour but we pianists have to be careful to charge when we have practiced all our lives and sacrificed so much.I understand it is the economy that makes us lower our prices.......but we must not let those who can afford to take advantage of us either. I still paid my plumber over $400 for his labor. Pianists are a necessity too. We add to the ambiance!

Last edited by Feminicricket; 10/13/12 04:33 PM.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
4Front TruePianos - 40% off
by Max_Forte. 12/15/17 06:19 PM
Taubman technique - any thoughts?
by BobTB. 12/15/17 05:34 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,290
Posts2,679,479
Members89,273
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission