2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
To the OP: I, sir, consider my own opinion to be paramount and above question from anyone. wink

Steve- I think you're right about Steinway SMP. To me, it seems they one of the only companies with that strong a brand recognition/perceived value that could get away with what you have described. I think of this like Ferrari or Lamborghini-- might not be the absolute best cars on the road, but the perceived brand value and recognition is high enough and their production limited enough that they do not need to discount their products in order to sell out the line.

"Steinway bashing" -- I think it should be important to distinguish objective discussions from subjective bashing. What some may consider the "bashing" of the Steinway brand may simply be an honest opinion about the state of their company/brand. I, for one, believe they make one of the greatest pianos on the market, but I am not blinded to the idea of being critical about their product or their company.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Isn't odd how some items have name value..Steinway,Rolex,Rolls Royce,..yet items that have
true monetary worth, gold ,silver, diamonds, are not helped by a "brand name"
pianos, watches, cars, only have a "percieved value"... smile

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
... anyone shopping and playing instruments will realize that there are brands that offer far better value, but they're not Steinways.

Mr. Chandler,

Please explain what you mean by value? Is that based only on the cost of a new instrument?

Here is a direct comparison of two great builders, in the same size of 5'-7", both polished ebony, and based solely on the published MSRP and SMP. These are the only upper level builders who have a direct comparison. There are certainly other builders for comparison, but the sizes vary, so that becomes an apples to oranges comparison. I agree that some of those are better "cost value" and others are considerably more expensive.

Steinway & Sons - $65,700
Steingraeber & Sohne - $93,382

Which holds the greater "value?" That is a decision which can only be made by an individual pianist based on personal preferences.

Individual dealers aside, the "official" websites of Steinway and Steingraeber make no reference, by name, to any other builder. That holds true for all of the great manufacturers. Do they all proclaim their product to be the finest? Of course they do. They all market their pianos to their own advantage.

I consider your statement to be another blanket swipe against Steinway as is evidenced so often in the Piano Forum.

Marty,

I was referring to the fact that when I bought my Estonia 190 I paid about $25K (5-6 years ago). I saw prices for a Steinway M of over $50K yet I considered the Estonia the better piano. For me the Estonia was a far better value.

My only mistake was projecting my personal experience as the experience of any decent pianist when shopping instruments. Based on what I've read on this forum since I joined more than a decade ago I don't feel that was unreasonable. I've played some wonderful Steinway pianos, but none of them was what I'd consider a bargain.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
hah. A funny read, thanks for sharing

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How did the thread title switch all of a sudden to "Hey Steinway Dealer" ?

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

I was referring to the fact that when I bought my Estonia 190 I paid about $25K (5-6 years ago). I saw prices for a Steinway M of over $50K yet I considered the Estonia the better piano. For me the Estonia was a far better value.

The $50K for the Steinway M breaks down as follows:

-- $25K for a good, well built little piano
-- $25K for the name on the fallboard

Steinways are wonderful pianos. I always enjoy trying them out at the store. But when I see a price tag of $54K and higher for a brand new S - and remember that the price keeps going up every year - I simply shake my head is disbelief.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Did anyone notice the unspoken myth?

Originally Posted by Myth #9

ANY piano not purchased NEW from ARIZONA STEINWAY at TOP DOLLAR is poopie. People will laugh at you for having a piano from any other dealer.

Some bias might be had.

Currently working on/memorizing...
"It's You" from Robotech
"He's A Pirate"
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"What The World Needs Now"
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Rusty Fortysome
Did anyone notice the unspoken myth?

Originally Posted by Myth #9

ANY piano not purchased NEW from ARIZONA STEINWAY at TOP DOLLAR is poopie. People will laugh at you for having a piano from any other dealer.

Some bias might be had.

I am particularly fond of the industry term, "poopie".

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Ori Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I need to jump in here, speaking as a representative of Piano Buyer.

Using MSRP and SMP to compare prices or values is a valid approach EXCEPT in the case of Steinway. As Larry points out, In most cases, discounts from the Suggested Maximum Price range from 10 to 30 percent... Important exception: Discounts on Steinway pianos generally range from 0 to 10 percent.
http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall12/196.html

So the selling price of a Steinway pianos with the same SMP would be considerably higher. In fact, in the example Marty noted the two pianos might well sell at the same price.

Steve,

First, forgive me for pointing out, but in spite of your statement above I doubt that you are 'speaking here as a representative of piano buyer'.

You may have done a good job in the advertizing department, but I'm sure that Larry Fine has a way of separating the advertizing department from the content...and here, my friend, we definitely deal with content.

Second, and the reason I decided to chime in here, is because somehow you seem to turn selling at higher than normal margins into a virtue.

Since the SMP is largely based on wholesale cost, if between two pianos of similar SMP one is offered at a 20% discount while the other at only 5% discount... it means that the latter is simply sold at a higher margin.

If one gets from the selling dealer a substantially better service, piano preparation or special care I can understand that it may be reflected in the price.

However, I don't think that there is an advantage to the service and preparation offered by Steinway dealers over many other quality dealers that are able to operate average industry margins.

And finally, if you decide to discount by only 5% at your dealership...you may find that your sales too can drop by 60% over a few short years!

Just something to think about.

Ori Bukai - Owner/Founder of Allegro Pianos - CT / NYC area.

One can usually play at our showroom:

Bluthner, Steingraeber, Estonia, Haessler, Sauter, Kawai, Steinway, Bosendorfer and more.

www.allegropianos.com
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
How did we get this far off topic???

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So, the fact that Steinway is honest about their prices is a negative?

Gary
Originally Posted by Ori
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I need to jump in here, speaking as a representative of Piano Buyer.

Using MSRP and SMP to compare prices or values is a valid approach EXCEPT in the case of Steinway. As Larry points out, In most cases, discounts from the Suggested Maximum Price range from 10 to 30 percent... Important exception: Discounts on Steinway pianos generally range from 0 to 10 percent.
http://www.pianobuyer.com/fall12/196.html

So the selling price of a Steinway pianos with the same SMP would be considerably higher. In fact, in the example Marty noted the two pianos might well sell at the same price.
Second, and the reason I decided to chime in here, is because somehow you seem to turn selling at higher than normal margins into a virtue.
It seems to me all Steve did was explain that when using the SMP one should only expect a 0-10% discount for a Steinway compared to a larger discount from other makers. I see absolutely nothing in his statement that says this is good, bad , or anything in between.

He was explaining why the Steinway vs. Steingraeber actual selling prices could be far different from what one would expect if one incorrectly assumed that the typical selling prices would involve the same discount form SMP. In fact, as a Steingraeber dealer, I would have expected that his explanation would be welcomed by you because some readers of the PB don't read it's explanation of SMP very carefully and would wrongly assume that the selling price of the Steingraeber model mentioned, because of its higher SMP, would be much higher than the Steinway.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
So, if someone came in and offered to buy a Steingraeber for the SMP the dealer would refuse the offer?

Gary
S
S
Ori,

1st, Larry has authorized me to represent him and Piano Buyer contentually on Piano World and has posted that here many times.

That said, I agree with the points you make. I do not think that selling at a higher margin in a virtue. I also don't think that there is an advantage to the service and preparation offered by Steinway dealers over many other quality dealers that are able to operate average industry margins.

I would even go so far as to use you and others in the NYC market as examples... I have seen the way many NYC dealers prepare, and market their lines and find a consistently high-quality prep, and reasonable margins within your market.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I am not sure how honest Steinway is about the prices on their pianos, from the discounting perspective anyway. Where I am, the Steinway dealership regularly puts on sale the piano that never goes on sale. I agree that the discount is not at the same percentage as many other brands, but the idea that Steinways are not discounted and never go on sale is not in my opinion in accord with the facts.

This is not important, however, at least in my view. What is important is what piano one loves and whether one can afford it. All the discounting in the world would not have persuaded me to buy a piano I did not love, nor would all the chatter about investment value or anything else have convinced me to hand over the money for a piano unless it called out to me as a piano first and foremost.

Last edited by Rank Piano Amateur; 10/13/12 12:55 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plowboy
So, if someone came in and offered to buy a Steingraeber for the SMP the dealer would refuse the offer?

With Steingraeber, like Steinway, the SMP = MSRP. So, unless there is a waiting list for a particular model, they would take the offer. At the dealership here, the actual selling price is not lowered by as large of a percentage as there would be on other brands. From discussions with other high end sellers, this seems to be the case with all of the very upper level, "elite name," instruments.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Originally Posted by Rank Piano Amateur
I am not sure how honest Steinway is about the prices on their pianos, from the discounting perspective anyway. Where I am, the Steinway dealership regularly puts on sale the piano that never goes on sale. I agree that the discount is not at the same percentage as many other brands, but the idea that Steinways are not discounted and never go on sale is not in my opinion in accord with the facts.
The PB gives the discount range for Steinway a 0-10%.

What is important is what piano one loves and whether one can afford it. All the discounting in the world would not have persuaded me to buy a piano I did not love, nor would all the chatter about investment value or anything else have convinced me to hand over the money for a piano unless it called out to me as a piano first and foremost.

+ 1

Norbert thumb

Originally Posted by Plowboy
So, the fact that Steinway is honest about their prices is a negative?
Not sure what you mean here.

If you mean there is less or no bargaining room, I don't think that necessarily implies honesty. It just means that customers at Steinway can't expect bargaining to get them a far as for dealers of other makes. If you mean that Steinway doesn't give inflated MSRP then I would agree with you, although the Piano Buyer/Piano Book has been around for so long that many people probably realize by now that MSRP is irrelevant. If Steinway was being very upfront about their prices, they might say that they have a bigger markup from dealer cost than most other makes.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If Steinway was being very upfront about their prices, they might say that they have a bigger markup from dealer cost than most other makes.

Upon what do you base this statement? Are you privy to Steinway documentation concerning the per unit/invoice cost to their dealers?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission