2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1972342 10/12/12 02:38 PM
OP Offline
I am a piano self-learner. I signed up to this forum exactly 15 days now, please tell me what you think about my videos.

Below is O Fortuna, I learned this song by ears.

My Piano Blog:
http://tinyurl.com/fymusikblog

heart

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nice, and interesting!

By the way I think it would help if we say more about exactly what this is:

Opening movement of Orff's Carmina Burana.

I wouldn't have known if not that I've played it -- I was lucky to be the accompanist of my college's chorus when they did the piece.

Just a couple of thoughts:

I said it's "nice," and actually it's sort of 'too nice' to my taste. smile
I've always seen it as building to a much bigger crescendo and climax, and I think it's how I've always heard it. Of course that doesn't mean you can't do it this way, but....I think you're conceiving of it differently than usual in this respect and I wonder if you realize that you are.

Also, a detail: I think you wait much too long after the introduction before starting the main part, even with your different kind of conception. In fact, I think if anything, it's even more so with your kind of conception because if you're going to be staying so 'small-ish' in the main section, I would think it would be best to launch into it sooner rather than later.

R
R
Great playing and welcome to PWF! It's really interesting how you've thought about this piece and interpreted by ear. Best wishes for your journey of music.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Rupak Bhattacharya
Great playing and welcome to PWF! It's really interesting how you've thought about this piece and interpreted by ear. Best wishes for your journey of music.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I was happy when I did this song!
I enjoy the process to learn a new song.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Nice, and interesting!

By the way I think it would help if we say more about exactly what this is:

Opening movement of Orff's Carmina Burana.

I wouldn't have known if not that I've played it -- I was lucky to be the accompanist of my college's chorus when they did the piece.

Just a couple of thoughts:

I said it's "nice," and actually it's sort of 'too nice' to my taste. smile
I've always seen it as building to a much bigger crescendo and climax, and I think it's how I've always heard it. Of course that doesn't mean you can't do it this way, but....I think you're conceiving of it differently than usual in this respect and I wonder if you realize that you are.

Also, a detail: I think you wait much too long after the introduction before starting the main part, even with your different kind of conception. In fact, I think if anything, it's even more so with your kind of conception because if you're going to be staying so 'small-ish' in the main section, I would think it would be best to launch into it sooner rather than later.

Mark,
Thanks for the suggestion. When I learn to accompany a song, I just listen to the song over and over again to make it as similar to the original thing as possible with my less knowledge. So, everytime I am not sure if I did it correctly or not. As I learned alone, no one directly give me suggestion.

I am happy to learn from others, for example, this forum and some of the comments from the youtube people.

Do you mean I should play the intro faster???

Debbie

Originally Posted by MusicaMusique
Do you mean I should play the intro faster???

No -- here's what I said:

I think you wait much too long after the introduction before starting the main part

I thought that was clear, but to make it clearer:

I think you wait much too long after the introduction before starting the main part. smile

Oh sorry, I just repeated what I said before. grin

OK, let me try to do better:
I think the pause between the intro and the main part is too long. After you finish the intro, start the next thing sooner.

But now that you mention it, it's also true that the intro is probably too slow! But I didn't say anything about that because it's not as clear as I think the other thing is -- I mean, while I think most people would prefer it to be faster, I wouldn't say your tempo is bad.

OP Offline
Thanks, this is so clear hehe...

I will think about what you said and next time, I hope I will be improving!

laugh

My main suggestion would be that the main theme has to played with greater rhythmic steadiness because it's the endless repetitive rhythm that gives a lot of the drama to this piece. I would also play it slightly more slowly.

Chumachenko transcribed all of Carmina Burana for piano solo. The opening line of O Fortuna has several six note chords for left hand alone.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/14/12 05:09 PM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My main suggestion would be that the main theme has to played with greater rhythmic steadiness because it's the endless repetitive rhythm that gives a lot of the drama to this piece. I would also play it slightly more slowly.

Chumachenko transcribed all of Carmina Burana for piano solo. The opening line of O Fortuna has several six note chords for left hand alone.

I wonder how could my 5 fingers by my left hand press on the six notes chord alone ^^

Originally Posted by MusicaMusique
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I wonder how could my 5 fingers by my left hand press on the six notes chord alone ^^
The thumb takes two notes simultaneously by playing in the crack between two keys.

OP Offline
Thanks for showing me the way :DD

Unfortunately, I have short fingers, I can't do that!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission