2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#197232 01/25/08 12:52 AM
OP Offline
Hi I have seen some of the prices of Kawai K2 (upright) quoted by forum users here (local dealer price) to be around $3500, which prompted me to be interested in this model instead of a "grey" market Kawai.

However when I checked with my local Kawai dealer, the price quoted for a K2 was a whooping $5600!! May be this was the "list price"...but I would like to seek your advice about what is a reasonable price to pay for a K2? Is it possible to negotiate down from the list price to about $3500?

Unfortunately we only have one Kawai dealer in this big city, so I do not have much choice...may be that is the reason they are having the "monopoly price"...

Thx
jazzzbug

#197233 01/25/08 07:44 PM
I got an offer on a Kawai K2 for $3670 + tax (including delivery, 1 tuning) in Midwest. This is a polished ebony. For the fancier red woods, it is $500 extra. Funny you mentioned about monopoly... I can't say I know another place in my area carrying Kawai. So far people on this forum said this is a decent price. I hope you get the K2 for $3500 and that would be great. smile Good luck!

#197234 01/28/08 02:19 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. So I went back to the one and only Kawai dealer in town, found out that they were having a "out of business sale". Happy me. So I went ahead to the Kawai K2 I have been eyeing for a while to check out the "low low price". To my dismay it was listed as $3992+tax, which was almost $300 more than your price. And it was supposed to be a out of business sale price!
Anyway, I managed to negotiate for free delivery, and since I can't find any other Kawai K2 in town, I have to settle for this price...

#197235 01/31/08 08:44 PM
Very interesting... with that price they should include delivery + tuning. at least. Nevertheless, I'm happy for you that you are now the proud owner of a K2.

I'm shocked that prices everywhere around the country are different... even in the big city like Houston.

Poisy #1379719 02/21/10 05:12 PM
Thanks to Piano forum and valuable comments from its members, I felt confident walking into Piano shops with some understanding of prices.

We got a quote for Kawai K2 (Ebony Satin) for $4000 (including delivery, tax, adjustable bench and first tuning) from DC Piano in Berkeley, CA. Erik and Matteo were very helpful and laid back.

There are 3 Kawai dealerships in Bay Area and their prices are not even in the same ballpark. They won't quote prices on the phone, so had to visit them to get prices.

PS. We also looked at K15 and found the following link helpful - http://www.onefamilysblog.com/2008/05/shopping-for-acoustic-piano-in-bay-area.html

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Newbie,

There's a reason the 3 Bay Area Kawai dealers wouldn't quote prices on the phone (other than Kawai's MSRP). They were abiding by the dealer agreement they have signed with Kawai to represent their acoustic pianos. Dealers sign an agreement with Kawai that they will not quote any sale or discount prices by phone. When a customer comes into the store, then they are free to negotiate prices. This isn't to make it difficult on shoppers, its to keep the playing field even for dealers and to try and keep the free for all of piano pricing within reason. Any authorized Kawai dealer who does quote anything other than the MSRP (and, Kawai does have a printed MSRP brochure that is available for use by Dealers when working with shoppers) to someone who has not come into the store is violating their dealer agreement. Kawai is very strict in the enforcement of the policy, and they are not the only piano manufacturer to have this type of policy.

This has been discussed many, many times, and you can search several threads on the forum regarding this. Some members understand the reasons for it, some don't. There will never be 100% agreement either way.

You can also search threads here for comments on pricing. As has been said many, many times, when members list specific prices, there are many reasons why a piano may be priced as it is, and it can be very misleading to someone who is just starting their shopping, etc.

Not trying to stir up a bunch of controversey, just letting a new forum member know of the search option, and that many times, there's a "little more to the story."

Cheers,

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

M.O.P. #1380667 02/22/10 09:01 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...and I just realized the original post of this thread was from 2 years ago...

ah, a long day... smile

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

M.O.P. #1380682 02/22/10 09:23 PM
I got my satin ebony K-2 for $3000 including everything so far as I remember. Everything meaning bench, delivery and tuning. It may have a bit more if tax wasn't included in the $3000. I would think $3500 is a very resonable price.

K
K
Old thread, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents: Last month (Nov. '10) I bought a new K-2, mahogany, for $4400, including tax, delivery and first tuning, in Southern California (Ahn's Piano, Torrance, about 30 miles south of L.A.). I was told the list price was, I think, about $6600.

If the premium on mahogany is $500, then the price I got was a trifle better than the $3992 price mentioned above about 10 months ago, not as jazzy as the $3700-something offer someone got a couple of years ago.

KathyH
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I suspected it was around $4k these days. Thanks. That would make the K-3 at around $5k, possibly more.

KathyH #1581871 12/22/10 02:21 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KathyH
Last month (Nov. '10) I bought a new K-2, mahogany, for $4400, including tax, delivery and first tuning, in Southern California (Ahn's Piano, Torrance, about 30 miles south of L.A.).

Hi KathyH,

When you consider that our sales tax is almost 10%, I'd say you did well. Did Ahn's take good care of you?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
K
K
Turandot,
Sorry, haven't checked back here in awhile. Not sure what I should have expected from Ahn's beyond the obvious. (This was my first piano purchase!) Piano arrived promptly and safely as scheduled, and they sent the tuner about a month later, when I requested it.

I am hearing strange noises come and go, and one that isn't going. Sounds like crumbs are stuck in one key, which can't literally be true: brand new, and I certainly haven't eaten while sitting at it! Next time a tuner comes I'll have that checked. Another that appeared a few days after the tuner left in December is a screwy, "twangy" sound in several adjacent keys, that suddenly seems to be gone. Ditto severe clacking in the upper keys, also mysteriously self-improved (somewhat).

I guess I'm going to be learning a lot about pianos!

KathyH

KathyH
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I was about to say, "Is your winter heat high? If so, consider installing a humidifier" and I noticed that you live in LA! Lucky you.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just posted this note to make readers aware that this post was pulled out from the 2008 archives. It is three years old.
The prices given by the posters were not accurate.
Beware of competitors intentionally pretending to be people from the general public asking questions; with the solely intention of upsetting the market.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 02/16/11 05:40 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission