2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
73 members (Beowulf, 8ude, clothearednincompo, Anglagard44, anotherscott, Boboulus, 15 invisible), 610 guests, and 457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who plays piano and guitar or other instrument?
#1971397 10/10/12 02:53 PM
mpmusic Offline OP
OP Offline
I currently play mostly piano, but I play the guitar since 2007, only recently have I devoted to piano.

I'm writing this post just out of curiosity, there will certainly members of this forum which began with other instruments. Am I right? =)

(I have some recordings playing piano in youtube, links below, and today I uploaded my first video playing guitar, if you want to see click here )

http://www.miguelmotapinto.com/
http://youtube.com/user/miguelmotapinto

"Music is the key to understand the universe..."
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Who plays piano and guitar or other instrument?
mpmusic #1971491 10/10/12 05:49 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I have a cheapo no name guitar in the corner, that was untunable.

Last time I touched it was 3 years ago. It was such poor quality and made such sad noises. I was demotivated and never played again.

Which is why I spent a fair wedge getting a decent digital piano.

I also happen to have a melodica, an electric violin which I can't play (a friend left it with me and never came back for it). I can however strangely play a number of chords on bass guitar even though I don't actually own a bass guitar.

mpmusic #1971493 10/10/12 06:00 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I play bass, mostly with bluegrass musicians.

mpmusic #1971542 10/10/12 07:45 PM
I've played guitar since '83, have been playing bass 2-3 years, and piano for 3 years this past May.
Guitar was my first instrument, and the one I'm most comfortable with. I could play it in my sleep, LOL.
But I have wanted to play piano for longer than that, but grew up poor, and had to wait until I was an adult, and technology caught up so I could afford a DP. I'll probably never own an acoustic piano, but my DP sounds great through my PA, and I play the acoustic 3 times a week in church. Life is good.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
mpmusic #1971546 10/10/12 08:00 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I played classical guitar for quite a few years. My parents gave it to me after the piano couldn't be moved to their new home, and I think that I thought of it as my "substitute piano".

keystring #1971562 10/10/12 08:45 PM
R
R
I also play saxophone on occasion, I played sax from 4th grade to high school and quit because I didn't like the lack of creativity in the school band. I started playing again recently, just for the fun of it. I've tried guitar too but never really got into it, I might learn it down the road though.

rakim #1971723 10/11/12 07:39 AM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Guitar and banjo since 1980.
Violin and mandolin since 1993.

God Bless Leon Russell
mpmusic #1971843 10/11/12 01:24 PM
Can play bass and guitar (badly) and used to play clarinet way-way back.

Currently working on/memorizing...
"It's You" from Robotech
"He's A Pirate"
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"What The World Needs Now"
Rusty Fortysome #1972078 10/11/12 09:45 PM
J
J
I started in public school at age ten playing clarinet. In my thirties I played accordion for about 4 years as I did saxophone and organ. I had long forgotten how to play clarinet and was bad on the other instruments. At 57 years old I picked up guitar for a year or two. Got where I was a good strummer and then quit. Then about a year later I took up piano with a professional pianist. I study hard for two years and learned to play. Then I quit again for a couple of years. Now I am 74 and have picked the guitar and piano back up. I love both and spend most of my day with them. Problem is at my age my fingers don't work as well as they use to. I am learning to fingerpick and it is a little on the hard side. John

mpmusic #1972151 10/12/12 12:16 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I played 3-4 chords on the guitar for a long time before I decided to take up piano. (you think hannon is repetitive?)

The advantage to playing guitar for so long before piano is, not only rhythm, but mainly a little dexterity in my left hand and fingers. Without it, I feel I'd be banging on the keys with my fist trying to hit the right bass clef notes.

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
mpmusic #1972219 10/12/12 07:11 AM
H
H
I have played guitar since the '60's, but didn't get serious about it until about ten years ago. Afte a few years, I got discouraged that I became too reliant on using tab notation and started piano to force some discipline toward reading standard music notation. I got hooked on piano enough that I focus on it more now than guitar. I also started playing violin about three years ago as a bucket list endeavor.

Mike Hegedus
[Linked Image]
mpmusic #1972242 10/12/12 08:47 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Guitar was my first instrument, started ~ 27 years ago, took up piano ~ 6 years ago.

mpmusic #1972305 10/12/12 12:11 PM
C
C
I played guitar for a while many years ago. Now I play mountain dulcimer as well as, of course, piano. No other string instrument has the logic of the piano. Of the other dulcimer players I know very few read music. Most either use tab or play by ear.

mpmusic #1972311 10/12/12 12:19 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have played piano off an on all my life. Took perfunctory lessons as a kid, but applied myself as an adult (with a great teacher), so I am pretty comfortable playing piano. I picked up the guitar a few years ago (did the uke first) because it was always a mystery to me, and I wanted to learn. I do pretty well strumming and can do some pentatonic solos stuff.

Picking up the guitar has made me more sympathetic to adult piano beginner's frustration. I will be mangling some simple thing on the guitar and think "this is how piano beginners feel"...and "am I wasting my time with the guitar?" I have a beautiful grand, can sight read pretty well, and have a lot of pieces under my belt. It is sooo much easier to just sit down at the piano and play instead of struggling with the guitar.

Nevertheless I am glad that I got into the uke/guitar if even on a rudimentary level. They travel well, are relatively inexpensive, sometimes just fun noodle around with watching TV.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350
mpmusic #1972389 10/12/12 04:07 PM
C
C
I picked up the guitar in college because my roommate had one. I played it when I could and taught myself chords, etc. I love guitar--I now own a Martin acoustic and a Fender Stratocaster. The problem is that I love the piano more, and I've decided that I can't really get good at both of them. I've chosen piano for now, so I mainly just take out the guitar to screw around here and there. I don't practice it like I do the piano. Maybe when I'm rich I'll have more time on my hands and can learn both. Until then, the guitar is second fiddle.

I can also play drums, and I played for a band in high school. I have a drum set, but rarely play. So, it goes 1. Piano, 2. Guitar, 3. Drums.

Other instruments I would like to play are Cello and Oboe, but you only live once.

Last edited by Cookie74; 10/12/12 04:09 PM.

" I wish you music to help with the burdens of life, and to help you release your happiness to others."

--Ludwig van Beethoven
mpmusic #1972834 10/13/12 03:18 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I started on pennywhistle, then Irish flute, and now piano keyboard. I mostly write and perform my own material on all instruments. The piano pieces are at my signature link. The others I have not shared with the forum.

pianonewb #1972852 10/13/12 04:22 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by pianonewb
Guitar was my first instrument...But I have wanted to play piano ...but grew up poor, and had to wait until I was an adult, and technology caught up so I could afford a DP...

Ah ... the same story as me! I started on guitar in 1966 (guess my inspiration) while at high school. For a year or two while I was learning guitar I also had a hand drawn keyboard on a piece of paper stuck to the desk in my room (about an octave) and when I learnt a new guitar chord I'd work out how to finger it on the paper keyboard. But I never had a piano until last year - now I play it all the time (while my guitars gather dust).

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
Newman #1972904 10/13/12 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Newman
But I never had a piano until last year - now I play it all the time (while my guitars gather dust).

i know the feeling. I build guitars and basses as a hobby.
I build them more than I play them, now. At least as far as practicing goes. It's nice, however, to be able to choose which instrument I want to use in church when I sing specials. Many more options.

Handcrafted Guitars and Basses

But I spent a long time learning to play the guitar. Now I need to have the same dedication where piano is concerned.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
mpmusic #1973323 10/14/12 08:03 PM
A
A
I played clarinet for about fifteen years, did my Grade 9 R C M then my beloved teacher who I started from scratch with left town and I never felt comfortable studying anymore and got bored with. Did about a year on the oboe which I love and have been studying the accordion for the last four years with this amazing teacher who has been teaching at the same school for over fifty years now.
Most of my free time goes to the accordion which for me has a very slow learning curve. But all my life I have dreamed about learning to play the piano. Through my life I've gone through five different piano teachers and each was nuttier then the next.finally found a sane teacher last fall but just couldn't handle the need to Practise on two instruments with a full time job. The two instruments complement one another so I'm slowly picking up the piano again.

mpmusic #1974377 10/17/12 02:10 AM
J
J
I play guitar (classical and electric) because we couldn't afford a piano when I was a kid but I always loved piano. So I ended up playing guitar pretty well and started piano until now(33 y/o)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
My take on upright recording at home
by Keybender - 12/02/20 12:34 PM
1985 Mason and Hamlin BB
by HeathH - 12/02/20 12:06 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,210
Posts3,029,662
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission