Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Piano Tuning
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (ajames, AccidentalDavid, 36251, andrea monza, amad23, AndreaH, 39 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1971000 - 10/09/12 08:35 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: SCCDoug]  
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by SCCDoug
Hi Carey

I realize you are a choral conductor and would have your own opinions, but as a singer and choral enthusiast I recommend a brighter piano, or at least one with strong fundamentals. Having clear accompaniment is so helpful, especially with repertoire with more challenging tonality (say Elgar for example) where being able to pull a note into your head from the piano bass line three measures before in order to hit a clean entrance is a requirement. What sounds beautifully rich and mellow to the audience can be a bit of a muddy mess to the singer. For me, I would lean towards a Yamaha depending on how the instrument is going to be used.

Good luck to you. I must confess that our family has pretty much given up on church choirs as it seems much more likely to find decent classical repertoire with a good community chorus these days. But, I digress . . .

Thanks for the input Doug !!! Fortunately our church choir still does traditional repertoire (Tallis, Palestrina, Bach, Byrd, Mozart, Stanford, Bruckner, Howells, Franck, Faure, Vaughan-Williams, Holst, etc.) but we primarily use the organ for accompaniment, unless, of course, the organist happens to be ill on a certain Sunday.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai CA-65
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1971003 - 10/09/12 08:43 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Just to bring closure to this thread......my tech inspected the 1995 Baldwin SF-10 and gave it an excellent bill of health - so we've decided to purchase it and spend some extra bucks to remove the existing player system and restore the piano to its "pre-player" configuration. I have folks lined up who have a good track record doing this type of thing and I'm very optimistic that the piano is ultimately going to work quite well for us. Of course, the adventure isn't over quite yet.......

Kawai CA-65
#1971005 - 10/09/12 08:54 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Plowboy  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

SoCal
Best of luck!

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach
#1971772 - 10/11/12 11:14 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
Glenn Grafton Offline
Glenn Grafton  Offline

Souderton PA
Personally I'd go with the Kawai RX6. The age of the Yamaha would be a concern to me.

The Kawai is fairly new and has the balance of the new 10 year warranty. It also has the Millenium III action which is more responsive on soft play and has faster repetition than a traditional wood action.

In my experience at our store the Korean brands do not hold up as well over the years.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1971797 - 10/11/12 12:31 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
Rich Galassini Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rich Galassini  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia/South Jersey
Originally Posted by carey

Kohler and Campbell Millennium KFM-700s - 7 foot - built 2001 - one owner - home use - lightly played - pristine condition - responsive action (Renner action parts and hammers) - two year warranty.

Kawai RX6 - 7 foot - built 2006 - one owner - home use - excellent condition - millennium action - warm even tone - original transferable warranty.

Albert Weber AW208 - 7 foot - NEW - powerful bright tone - strong bass - responsive action (Renner action parts and hammers)- full 10 year warranty.

Carey,

Based on experience I would limit your choices to these instruments. I would further say that the Kawai might be my first choice, depending on the instrument, followed closely by the A. Weber.

Definitely have the final choice (and maybe your runner up) examined by an independent tech.

I know you've gotten lots of responses so far, but more information couldn't be a bad thing. smile Keep us posted as to your progress please.

Happy piano to your church!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Check out the Science Channel's "How Its Made" featuring our piano restoration:
http://www.cunninghampiano.com/how-its-made/
#1971842 - 10/11/12 02:23 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
gnuboi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

USA
Congrats on the SF10. That's pretty awesome.

#1971912 - 10/11/12 04:22 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Glenn Grafton]  
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by Glenn Grafton
Personally I'd go with the Kawai RX6. The age of the Yamaha would be a concern to me.

The Kawai is fairly new and has the balance of the new 10 year warranty. It also has the Millenium III action which is more responsive on soft play and has faster repetition than a traditional wood action.

In my experience at our store the Korean brands do not hold up as well over the years.

Glenn - The 1995 Baldwin was half the cost of the 2006 Kawai. We could afford the Baldwin - but couldn't come close to the asking price for the Kawai. The Renner action in the Baldwin isn't all that shabby either - even though I like the Millenium III action as well. And yes - we ruled out the Korean pianos due to concerns about how well they'd hold up in the church setting - and the Yamaha because it was just too darn old.

Kawai CA-65
#1971914 - 10/11/12 04:24 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: gnuboi]  
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted by gnuboi
Congrats on the SF10. That's pretty awesome.

Thanks - we're pretty excited about it !!!!

Kawai CA-65
#1971923 - 10/11/12 04:47 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
Minnesota Marty  Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Rochester MN
Hi Carey,

That Baldwin will sound great! - Congratulations

It will be enjoyed by your congregation for many years to come.

Great job as the search committee!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
#1972034 - 10/11/12 08:31 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Philadelphia, PA
Congratulations! I'm sure this will be a great piano for your church!

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:
Chopin, Waltz in E minor (op. posth.)
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Mendelssohn, Op. 19 no. 2
#1972211 - 10/12/12 07:52 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
FormerlyFlute Offline
FormerlyFlute  Offline

Maryland
Good you decided against a small piano. I recently attended a concert in a medium size church with a pretty small Kawai grand around 5'6", I'd estimate. The pianist played the Grieg concerto with a community orchestra and even though I was 3 rows back, I could barely hear the piano.

Piano: Brodmann PE 187 Strauss
Flute: Sankyo CF-201 with RT2 headjoint
#1972216 - 10/12/12 08:05 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
apple* Offline
apple*  Offline

Kansas
Every piano I chose has been disagreed with the posters.. Maybe you can find a used Baldwin.. they are so fundamentally sound and stable usually.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#1972217 - 10/12/12 08:06 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
apple* Offline
apple*  Offline

Kansas
Oh my gosh.. i just finished reading the end of your thread. A SF10 would be my first choice. you done good!

fantastic!!!!!

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
#1972358 - 10/12/12 03:20 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
Glenn Grafton Offline
Glenn Grafton  Offline

Souderton PA
Originally Posted by carey

Glenn - The 1995 Baldwin was half the cost of the 2006 Kawai. We could afford the Baldwin - but couldn't come close to the asking price for the Kawai. The Renner action in the Baldwin isn't all that shabby either - even though I like the Millenium III action as well. And yes - we ruled out the Korean pianos due to concerns about how well they'd hold up in the church setting - and the Yamaha because it was just too darn old.

Carey,
I missed seeing the discussion of the Baldwin later in the thread. Knowing your budget and choices you made a fine choice. I evaluated a 1965 Baldwin 9' D last year, while it was beat on the outside still has many years of use in it before a rebuild is needed.

Glenn Grafton
Grafton Piano & Organ Co.
Souderton PA
877-GRAFTON (877-472-3866)
Remove "nospam" in email address.
glenn@nospamgraftonpiano.com

Grafton Piano Home Page
#1972537 - 10/12/12 11:47 PM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
Carey Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Carey  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Phoenix, Arizona
Marty - JDW - FormerlyFlute - Apple - Glenn -

Thanks for the affirmation !! I will meet the movers on Monday afternoon to pick the Baldwin up. It will go to the rebuilder for removal of the player system, replacement of the wood sections that were removed from the keybed and action assembly when the system was originally installed, and reconfiguration of the pedal trapwork. To do this work the piano lid and action assembly must be removed and the piano turned upside down. Arghh !! We will then move the piano to the church for tuning and major regulation !! In the meantime we're ordering an artist bench, padded piano cover, and piano dolly. Hopefully everything will come together in about three weeks. I'm hoping the church will be able to get a good 15-20 years out of the instrument - and I'm looking forward to playing it myself !!! grin

Kawai CA-65
#1972545 - 10/13/12 12:05 AM Re: Which pianos might best meet our needs? [Re: Carey]  
ChrisKeys Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ChrisKeys  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dallas, TX
Hi carey, I've been following your journey and I'm excited for you! I bet the Baldwin will be great after all the work is done. We'd love to see photos (before and after). And of course, a recording or two!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES110 vs CN23 (RH vs RHC/PHI vs HI?)
by zwdzk. 10/23/17 01:02 PM
Late production Baldwin SF-10
by Duke of Dunning. 10/23/17 12:46 PM
Help with my pianet N footswell
by chopin_r_us. 10/23/17 11:39 AM
Extremely emotional Romantic repertoire?
by Sean P. 10/23/17 11:27 AM
Piano string wrapped loop (with a touch of class)!!!
by tonyster220763. 10/23/17 10:25 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,446
Posts2,666,771
Members89,028
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission