2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 106 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 105 106
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh boy! I get to go two times in a row!

Did 6 again today. 1 Yamaha P22, 4 Everett studios made in South Haven Michigan and 1 Baldwin studio about 55 years old. Then, I drove for our Local Ronald McDonald House. I've been driving as a volunteer for them every other Wednesday evening from 6-9 PM for going on 9 years now. That was my day!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I've been tuning for Santa Clara University all week, subcontracting for a friend of mine. I finished up the practice rooms and am working on the pianos in offices, etc. Broke 2 strings, both 14 1/2, both Steinways (one M, one B). Replaced a set of bicords in a Kawai grand. All kinds of noises develop in pianos that get played this often and this hard...and school hasn't even started yet.

Some voicing, some regulation, always something. I'm enjoying the energy of the environment here.

Promote Harmony in the Universe...Tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
Piano Technician's Guild
San Jose, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAniw3m7L2I
http://dstahlpiano.net
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Tuned 7 pianos today. A Mason & Hamilin BB, Schimmel grand, Yamaha grand -C3, Yamaha P202, Kawai UST 8, A Yamaha console M1A, A Baldwin studio. Nice day! Feeling great!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
S
S
Ironed damp dampers, they were all fuzzy and of course would not seat properly. about 6 just below break, also reset a few treble. Nice to know it worked!

S
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Did 7 on Friday. P-22, Baldwin L, Chickering console, Kimball console, Acro console, old Hamilton grand, Shiller upright for a internet cafe/coffee house. Blueberry cheesecake scone... mmmmmmm

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
One of my daughters got married today. Everyone from out of town stayed at the local Holiday Inn, which boasted a small Samick grand in the lobby. I'd pitch raised it on an emergency basis 3 years ago when they had a Jazz thing at the hotel. I advised the clerk perhaps it was time for another pitch raise!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Bob!!!

I tuned 7 again today. Well, sort of. My son tuned 2 and I tuned 5 but, WE got 7 done plus, we did some repair work like regulation to eliminate bobbling hammers and junk like that. I tuned 1. May Berlin by Schimmel. Don't like it. 2. Schimmel studio. 3. Kawai K-15 studio. 4. Palatino upright. Chinese built. 5. Kawai K-2. 6. An older Everett studio. 7. Kawai UST-8.

whome

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
S
S
Oh good grief, My final for tonight. I just love this topic, it's unloading maximally. ...
So I have this one Yamaha c7 that has been "jerk" tuned in past, and is a pistol. Mind you there is never again the possibility of restoring any semblance of torque in tuning this piano. So last Friday I let it ... down.... waited the weekend to let it equalize a bit. Still a beast! But, DUN

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Technically not today, but yesterday...

Placed my order for various technician's tools recently, and while waiting for the delivery, finished up some woodwork - a handmade gate at the top of our staircase, to keep my 20 month old rascal from falling down the stairs. So I thought I'd sprinkle this thread with something non-piano but vaguely related, for anyone interested - hope you don't mind:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Must say, I love woodwork, including the satisfaction of using the finished product. This is built from Meranti (Shorea, Lauan), by the way, using the harder, reddish pieces to receive the support screws, hinges, etc.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Nice woodworking! That's an art, and I envy those who do it well. smile

--Loren

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
"Today" has now become yesterday, but had I written this last night, I would have written about first tuning a private Steinway O that's had new hammers installed (on the original worn-knuckled/verdigris'd shanks!), installing a new bass string on a 90's Kimball console, and then three tunings at a local high/middle school. One was a pretty worn 70's era Hamilton, another a 90's Yamaha P22 with hammers beat to Hades and back (flattened and insanely bright, but they won't do anything about it), and a 3 year old Boston grand. The grand is not bad, but like others have mentioned, there is a degree of falseness in the treble and overall tone waver throughout. Some bass unisons out of phase.

Funny, I'm very used to impact tuning on verticals now and am spoiled at doing it without muscular strain. Problem is, after I do a few grands, I feel it!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mark:

The gate looks "grate". thumb

I recognized the luaun immediately. I've always called it Philippine mahogany. I am worried that there is no jamb, only a latch. If the latch gives way when slammed into by a running kid…. In any case, the gate should not be able to swing down stairs.

I knew of a seaman with the nickname of “Birdman” He had just gotten on a particular small ship (that I later sailed on) and while still tied to the dock, leaned against a portion of the handrail that was unlatched and could swing outward. His toes were against the “fishplate” and he could not spring out to land feet first. He broke both arms while falling head first, hence his nickname! They changed the section of handrail so it could only swing in.

My latest project is a cherry hope chest for my teenage daughter. I pick up the wood on Friday.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the compliments.

Jeff, I really had a hard time deciding how to design and mount the gate. The problem is that the landing is extremely small, perhaps 2' by 5', and opens into four rooms! I had considered a design opening into the landing rather than the staircase, but hinging it on the left would have had the gate blocking access into the bathroom - because the bathroom door opens into the landing, as you can see on the extreme left of the last picture. And hinging it on the right would have had the gate protruding into the door frame of one of the bedrooms. And using a sliding design, the gate wouldn't have opened far enough.

Either and any way, it would have interfered with all those doors and the normal traffic over the landing as soon as it stood open.

I therefore grudgingly decided to have it opening into the stairway, even though this goes, pardon the pun, completely against my grain (having worked on some chemical plants and cement factory chimneys and being aware of safety).

However, the gate does, at least, have a jamb. You can see it in the last picture, below the block that carries the latch plate. Here's a close-up of the second-last picture:

[Linked Image]

At the top is the block carrying the latch plate, plugged to the wall. At the bottom right, below the philips/pozidriv screw, is the reddish jamb, also fixed to the wall. At the bottom center is the brownish top horizontal slat of the gate, which is about half as thick as the jamb is wide. On the bottom left is the reddish vertical slat carrying the latch. This vertical slat actually protrudes 3/8" from the gate chassis, fits underneath the lock block, and is pulled up tightly against the jamb by the latch.

Fact remains, a shock load would bend the L-shaped latch plate open, or simply tear its two screws from the wood block. So I know, it's not totally safe, but I reckon it's safer than no gate at all. Fortunately our little terror tends not to run into things, except if they're soft.

Wish I wasn't forced into this compromise, but there you have it. I may make a sturdier lock block, with a piece of angle iron in stead of that rather flimsy L-plate.

Last edited by Mark R.; 09/21/10 11:12 AM. Reason: Added last thoughts

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Mark:

Hey, you did what you could with what you had. I understand the constraints you were faced with.

Another possibility would be to have the gate hinged also in the middle so that it could be stowed in the stairway, but when in place and locked would be self “jamming”. Extra wide stiles for the middle hinge would be needed for leverage. And additional latches for this hinge would be needed also.

It is probably all moot anyway. It won't be long before your 20 month old will solve the secret of the gate! I read somewhere that toddler proof (yeah, right…) locks need to have two things done simultaneously. My boy learned to just whack things with something heavy until they came apart!

The gate still looks nice, though.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Monday, a nice day, tuned 3. Ahhhh. A Yamaha P202, a Kawai RX-7, very nice piano, a Baldwin R.

Tuesday, tuned 5. A Kawai RX-2, another Kawai grand, I already forgot the model, a Baldwin studio, a Story & Clark studio, A Kawai UST-8.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
S
S
Jerry needs lake time

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
One consultation and 4 tunings. Nice full day. smile

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Today, tuned 5 again. A Yamaha GH1 and a Yamaha P202. A Schimmel grand, a Baldwin studio and a Baldwin Hamilton. grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Today, tuned 5 again. A Yamaha GH1 and a Yamaha P202. A Schimmel grand, a Baldwin studio and a Baldwin Hamilton. grin

Nice, Jerry! Nice pianos to work with. I remember one day around 15 years ago, I wound up with back to back Whitney spinets. And yes, both were 75-100 cents flat.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, I do enjoy servicing those pianos alright.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Page 38 of 106 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 105 106

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission