2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1971052 10/09/12 10:49 PM
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
and anyone else who would care to respond but Piano Dad I really need your help here....

new student, young man age 10. Dad has brought him to the past 3 lessons and continues to make comments while the child is playing. Way too many comments.
"Son, you know you can do that better", "Son, you know that's a c#", on and on.

I am teacher #2.
I don't want to offend Dad, because honestly I appreciate his interest in his son's musical instruction.
How to best address this?

forgot to mention that in contacting teacher #1, she said neither parent attended the lessons.

Last edited by Barb860; 10/09/12 10:50 PM. Reason: more info

Piano Teacher
K
K
I'm not Piano Dad, but if I were you, I'd take the parent aside and be assertive.

"I appreciate that you are so knowledgeable and aware of what's going on in the lessons and you are always welcome to sit in, but I really need to be in better control so I can better teach your son. I'd like to ask that you don't correct him during the lessons. I'll make sure he plays correctly and works on his mistakes; that's what you're paying me for, after all, and I want to do my job as best as I can for you and your son."

There's probably a more tactful way, too, but in the end I think something similar will be your best course of action.

Returning to learn piano and violin after many years distracted by life.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
What kayvee said, and even better, ask him not to stay during the lesson.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
You might also add something like, "Sometimes I choose to ignore certain errors because they are not central to the skill we are working on at the moment."

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
R
R
I am an 'involved' dad as well :-) I don't think I go near this level of participation during the lessons, but I am certainly not completely passive either. Also, I have the highest regard for my daughter's teacher -- she has done wonderful things for my daughter's musical development.

Just tell the dad directly about what the limits are during the lessons. If the dad does not agree, it won't work over the long haul anyway.

D
D
Yep - I'm a permanent fixture in daughter's lessons, but I sit there and don't interrupt unless questioned or invited to comment.

I think you need to make clear what the level of acceptable participation is and in all probability this parent will be devastatingly embarrassed that what he thinks is helping is actually interrupting.

Parent....
Orchestral Viola player (stictly amateur)....
Hack Pianist.... (faded skills from glory days 20 yrs ago)
Vague Guitar & Bass player.... (former minor income stream 15 yrs ago)
Former conductor... (been a long time since I was set loose with a magic wand!)
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Does he do that when the kid's practising?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
there is a reason i let my kids play thru a song and not interrupt them.. sometimes they get it better on the 2nd line.. sometimes a big mistake in technique is revealed. - the kids are much more relaxed if allowed to show what they have practiced.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
The dad is trying to show you that he is involved, is aware, is musically competent.

I would establish limits in a friendly, off-the-cuff way. "No comments from the peanut gallery." or "Everybody's a critic." or even a quick, "shhh."

If it persisted, I would tell him casually that it was refreshing to have such an involved parent, but that during lessons I really need to be the only teacher. Team-teaching during lessons would be counter-productive because I might be listening for or working on different things.

piano teacher
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Barb, I do not have experience with a parent of a 10 year old sitting in on lessons. Yet my policy is that a parent is welcome to observe.

I would ask the parent if he intends to observe all lessons. And then ask what he hopes to gain from it. I'd let him know that I don't think it is necessary. Still, I'd let him know that I allow one parent at a time to observe, but prefer that they do not comment during the lesson, unless to clarify a point with me.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 10/10/12 11:03 AM.
Hi, P*D here!

I hope this thread doesn't move in the direction of parent-bash / parent-defense. I don't think that's the point here.

This behavior is extreme and dad sounds more than a touch insecure in front of you. This might all go away with a bit of gentle humor on your part.

P
P
Originally Posted by Lollipop
The dad is trying to show you that he is involved, is aware, is musically competent.

This may be right, but this is not about the Dad, but the student! If the Dad wants to be musically involved, he should take piano lessons himself.

My 10-year-olds usually come to their lessons alone, we keep a diary, so at home, it's clear what the homework is. The parents are always welcome to attend lessons, but if a parent wants to be there every time, I usually take the kid aside and ask him/her, if it's okay that the parent is attending the lessons. From that on, we can work out something new: for example that the parent attends every other lesson, or only the last 10 minutes of every lesson or only on request by the student or me.
You need to make clear (it's all been said already) that during the lesson, it's entirely about your student and you. Asking the parent to simply attend quietly is absolutely okay. Something else has been mentioned before: it would be very interesting to know, if and how the Dad interferes with the student's practising. Parents' help can be very valuable, but not all the students are comfortable with it. You may have to discuss this through as well and set up some kind of rules for it in order to make it easier for your student.

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Barb, do you have the physical space where Dad can be elsewhere than in your teaching room? If so, next time invite dad to please sit out there.

You need to get him out of your teaching space.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 10/10/12 02:34 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minniemay
You might also add something like, "Sometimes I choose to ignore certain errors because they are not central to the skill we are working on at the moment."

One of the best posts of the day.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Hi, P*D here!

I hope this thread doesn't move in the direction of parent-bash / parent-defense. I don't think that's the point here.

This behavior is extreme and dad sounds more than a touch insecure in front of you. This might all go away with a bit of gentle humor on your part.

Yes this could be the case. I appreciate all replies here. The fact that you say this dad's behavior is "extreme" is especially helpful, as you were very involved and supportive in your son's musical learning experiences, and have shared much with us here. And you are right that I don't want to turn this into a parent bashing or defensive debate. I am coming from the standpoint of appreciating this dad for his involvement, and want to stay positive. We teachers need supportive parents!
But this dad is over the top and I need to nip this in the bud.
In addition, both parents are a bit insecure right now I think because I am a brand new teacher for their kids.

Piano Teacher
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by rocket88
Originally Posted by Minniemay

One of the best posts of the day.

yes I agree!!!!

Piano Teacher
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
Does he do that when the kid's practising?

I have a feeling, yes, this has been their routine.

Piano Teacher
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
So far, no one asked about the sun that is getting the lesson. I can well imagine that HE is being getting annoyed by his dad tracing every of his steps. The particular comments that you put into his mouth are not very encouraging either so I think he would be better off without his dad sitting there.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Hi, P*D here!

Yes this could be the case. I appreciate all replies here. The fact that you say this dad's behavior is "extreme" is especially helpful, as you were very involved and supportive in your son's musical learning experiences, and have shared much with us here. And you are right that I don't want to turn this into a parent bashing or defensive debate. I am coming from the standpoint of appreciating this dad for his involvement, and want to stay positive. We teachers need supportive parents!
But this dad is over the top and I need to nip this in the bud.
In addition, both parents are a bit insecure right now I think because I am a brand new teacher for their kids.

Yes, I think this is extreme.

I will admit that on occasion I would "approach the bench," so to speak, to ask the teacher something or note something that I had observed at home, but constant interruption is completely counterproductive.

Does the kid basically look at dad throughout the lesson, waiting either for approval or rebuke? If so, you need to press the reset button! Gently, of course.

You do want a supportive parent, and a knowledgable one can be your best ally. But during lesson time there can be only one master. And even at home, the kid has to be able to take a breath or two without constant correction and nagging. A parent should be able to be in the room without distracting the student. Just read a newspaper or magazine! You'll still be able to follow along when needed.

For the first couple of years, I was the teacher's proverbial right hand, yet I too was "banished" from the room for a short while (a month or so, if I recall). I went, and did so without complaint. I understood that the teacher needed some complete and undivided attention. Later, I was deliberately brought back into the lesson and shown exactly what the teacher was trying to accomplish. It goes both ways. She knew I was her teaching assistant at home ... whether she liked it or not. smile

So she used that situation to her (and to my son's) advantage. Could things have gone better if I had become a potted plant? Who knows. Idle speculation.

P
P
I do the same thing apple*! I like to establish if it is just a one time mistake or if it is something missed consistently!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission