2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
It's most undoubtedly a result of lack of musical maturity (being able to auralize written music, notice less-obvious patterns, etc.), but I had previously only thought of approaching memorization, as well as [for the most part] learning a piece of music in general, physically at the piano... until just now blush

[video:youtube]xM6M2nC15uM[/video]

Glenn Gould was quoted as claiming to do more mental than actual physical practice. I think this was something pianopractice.org was trying to get across as well, albeit in a much more wordy and less clear manner.

I'd love to hear what you all think of this. Though I'm not familiar with the Austrian national anthem or the transcription that Paul Barton learned in his new video, I found his demonstration impressive. Is this something you yourselves regularly practice? If so, when and how in learning a piece?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Glenn Gould was quoted as claiming to do more mental than actual physical practice.

That's the smart way to do it.

If you look at music as a language, wouldn't it make more sense to learn what is being 'said' than to memorize it 'phonetically'?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
After learning a piece and having memorized it, I often try to play it in my mind away from the piano without the score. Having thought a piece was memorized, because I can play it at the piano, It sometimes surprises me - although I'm becoming more and more accustomed to it - how many "micro-moments" in a piece are blank in my mind during this process : How does that passage start? what inversion of that chord do I play? etc.

These are obvious spots where I may initially have relied on "finger memory" rather than solid analyses, so this exercise helps me focus on those problem areas and learn them more thoroughly.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
What applies or is most helpful for Gould is not necessarily the best for ordinary mortals. If you had Gould's technique wouldn't shorten your practice at the piano?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/10/12 03:19 PM.
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
While none of us are Glenn Gould I don't think it hurts to put another method in our toolbox. There are a few approaches to memorizing music and often the least secure (and most often relied on) is muscle memory so I think this method could be of benefit.

What else would be best for ordinary mortals?

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Online Content
Originally Posted by Vid
While none of us are Glenn Gould I don't think it hurts to put another method in our toolbox. There are a few approaches to memorizing music and often the least secure (and most often relied on) is muscle memory so I think this method could be of benefit.

What else would be best for ordinary mortals?
I was talking about the "more mental than physical part" not being appropriate for most people I think. I didn't mean to imply that all practicing has to be done at the piano.

B
B
Here is one thing that has troubled me recently. When I practice mentally, what exactly should I be visualizing? Assuming I have memorized the piece, should I see in my mind's eye the actual notes on the score, or should I see my fingers pressing down the keys? Or some combination of both? Any advice from experienced mental rehearsers is very welcome.

L
L
Originally Posted by bjorn of brekkukot
Here is one thing that has troubled me recently. When I practice mentally, what exactly should I be visualizing? Assuming I have memorized the piece, should I see in my mind's eye the actual notes on the score, or should I see my fingers pressing down the keys? Or some combination of both? Any advice from experienced mental rehearsers is very welcome.

pianopractice.org mentioned above has good information about mental play, but I don't recall it answering this question specifically.

I think the answer is that it depends on how you memorize. If you memorize mostly visually (memorizing the score), that's how you would most likely visualize it. If you memorize mostly using keyboard memory, that's how you'd visualize it. And if you memorize mostly aurally, that's how you'd visualize it.

I've only practiced MP a few times so far, but for me, it's mostly keyboard memory and aural memory, and a little visual memory.

T
T
Walter Gieseking in his book, Piano Technique, describes this method in frightening detail. I know, another virtuoso, with a remarkable memory. His description scared me away as too complicated: I can't do that!

What is really helpful about Paul's video is he suggests taking simple pieces to try memorizing in this manner first. Don't start with the most difficult or complex piece in your current practice repertoire.

Thanks to Paul. I have found so many of his videos extremely helpful.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mentally hearing every note without piano and without score works well for me. I really discover where my blank spots are.

Heather Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Mel (Mélanie) Bonis - Sevillana, La cathédrale blessée
William Grant Still - Three Visions
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In studying music away from the piano the mind is freed up to really focus in on the details and interconnections of the music, usually this becomes interpretively revealing.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission