2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, 4 invisible), 1,281 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 293 of 370 1 2 291 292 293 294 295 369 370
A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Rossy is correct! My middle pedal is in fact a practice pedal, much to the delight of Billy O.

RB Greaves died. I've always liked this song, so in memory of him, here's Take a Letter Maria.

Hi Peyton - what an interesting idea - sustaining the f in the bass throughout! For what its worth my thoughts on this are:
Though it might create a 'bagpipes effect (if overdone!) it seems to fit the harmony throughout with the exception of when the bass moves briefly to c.

I suppose your idea would give the piece more gravitas which will 'anchor' the music, and detract from the haunting shiftiness/limbo feeling. Ultimately its down to your personal taste I guess.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO
Rossy is correct!

Do keep this in mind folks, its not a bluff after all. lol.

You may ask about the new signature if you wish.....

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello folks, I'm slowly getting there with Gnossienne 7, how's everyone else doin'?

Go on then Rossy, new siggy?
Oh watched your M4 again, really love it, I think I might tackle that next after the Eric Satie, although It's gonna be really hard for me, frown

Laters peeps, Xfactor tonight, Yippeeee smile

Last edited by wayne33yrs; 10/06/12 06:40 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I’ve memorized the music score of my Gnossiene, but my playing is still clumsy and very little musical. I try to play the piece slowly, but my hands tend to speed up.

I’ve had to put this warning sign on the piano.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hang on Recaredo, I recognise that sign, Did you get it from wayne?

I am sure he used it for met2 arps..

couldnt resist, I am a bad man. lol.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Hi everyone! I just had a session with my piano teacher who showed me some great techniques for my Gymnopedie piece. I'm not sure if I have enough time to memorize it. However, I'm confident that I'll be able to do justice to performing this beautiful piece.

Peyton, we didn't have enough time to discuss the Gnoissienne and the use of the sostenuto pedal. However, I agree with Dipsy. It makes sense to pursue using the middle pedal, and play around with it. You may also try posting a question on the piano teachers forum. Becca and I lucked out yesterday when someone else asked a technical question about the Gymnopedie. There were two replies with very helpful advice. Give it a try!

Right now, I'm only able to do mini practice sessions because of this busy period at work. I'll be able to put lots more time into practicing after next week.

Recaredo, that sign on your piano is an excellent reminder of the best and most effective practice techniques. smile

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I see everyone is away practising, and slowly! I shall soon have to kick away the tumbleweeds to start Sundays methinks.

I'm sure the kindred spirit is growing strong during these joint efforts but I'm wondering if there should be more time between them. The ABF recitals are every quarter.

We open today with Rossini's overture to his opera Semiramide, a wonderful piece, and much more popular than the opera itself which marked the end of his Italian years. He had recently turned to Opera Serie after meeting the singer Isabella Colbran. He married her shortly before Semiramide and moved to Paris shortly after, turning his back on Italy and, apart from one late work, Italian opera.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Gabriel Pierné was probably better known as a conductor, he premiered Stravinsky's Firebird, but his March of the Little Lead Soldiers was a popular encore piece. It has huge appeal to anyone with a childlike imagination.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My first introduction to piano music begain by rifling through the music in the bench. A Charlie Kunz collection included a version of Offenbach's Barcarolle from the Tales from Hoffman. His was the first of four transcriptions I learned of this piece.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Liszt is often considered a better pianist than composer and much of his work required more virtuosity than the music warranted. This piece requires little apart from a strong octave technique at the climax. The lack of histrionic grandiosity in his work is a good sign of it's musical worth. This is one of his finest pieces.

It is inspired by Raphael's Marriage of the Virgin.

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Whilst Alfred Brendel neither looks like nor me nor plays like me, my son has just wandered in and told me he looks like he's doing an impression of me! I frequently leave the bench at the climaxes. smile

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My last selection for today is Mussorgsky's Night on the Bare Mountain. This piece has been a favourite of mine since my early teens when I got passionately into Russian music.

This is the popular Rimsky-Korsakov arrangement of the piece, made a few years after Mussorgsky's death. R-K is one of the world's most accomplished orchestrators.

I wish you all a pleasant Sunday and a fruitful week ahead.

Richard

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Richard for another wonderful program. I'm more than halfway finished listening. Will hear the rest later. I must be off to work, however. I'll check in later after I get a little practice in tonight!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Excellent choices dudes!!

My choice toady is this one by Liberace, I could say chopin, but it isnt anymore.

Feel free to repost in PC, and if they whine or whinge, just ask "Er, who above everybody else in the history of playing the piano for money has made as much dosh as liberace did?"

The answer is Liberace by a long stretch.... the public loved him.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Afternoon all, talking of playing slowly! My mum and dad called yesterday, and had fetched me a metronome, so I thought I'd give it a go. Playing songs like Lady G etc went fine, no probs, probabily because I've already played these along to a beat on the keyboard.

But then, I tried Rob Dougan's clubbed to death, and this wasn't as easy. I had to go REALLY slow to beable to keep in time. Then Met 2, oh dear, now I realise how all over the place I am with it, so forget learning M4 at the mo, back to the drawing board with M2.

I'm gonna attempt Gnossienne 7 with it, really really really slowly, so fingers crossed, this time I might be "in time" lol,

laters smile

PS Cheers for the Sunday postings Richard wink

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
The metronome can be a very humbling experience Wayne. I noticed an I hate the metronome thread on this forum. Apparently someone has some rather strong feelings about! laugh

The Gymnopedie is already petty slow. However, I expect I'll be using the metronome to give me a reality check. I doubt I'll have much time practicing today, however. I must be off to work. Still in that busy period.

Have a great day everyone! smile

Last edited by griffin2417; 10/08/12 09:34 AM.

Carl

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
good stuffs.

I like this lately. I actually like a recording with violin and harpsichord I have on some collection I have the best, but on the 'Tube, this was a great one, too.

R
R
Greetings everyone. I'm again getting quite irregular at RST frown Anyway, warm thanks to Richard for his mesmerizing Sunday classical postings! I just finished listening to them yesterday.
Rossy, Liberace's experiment with Chopin's Nocturne sounds good, but isn't it a bit jazzy!wink
AimeeO, I loved the piano-flute version of Bach's prelude 1 very much! The flute added an extra beauty to this beautiful piece.

Congratulations and good luck with your metronome, Wayne wink

I'm almost done with learning and memorizing Gnossienne 3. But the hardest part still remains: to extract the mood of the piece correctly smile

Let's have some amusement to relax between 'serious' practices for serious thread's recital laugh

[video:youtube]FYFQTHwu_pI[/video]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
wow everyone is away practicing to hard!!
seriously folks, where are you all?

Page 293 of 370 1 2 291 292 293 294 295 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission