2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,170 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Amy B Offline OP
OP Offline
A
After searching for the last several months, I took the plunge today and went for a Shigeru Kawai SK6. It took me some time to decide between the six and seven foot, but in the end, the seven foot SK6 just kept calling me back. I hope to have it in a couple of weeks.

For those interested in the search, the brief summary is:

I played Steinways (New York and Hamburg), Seiler, Schimmel, Bechstein, Bosendorfer, Ritmueller, Yamaha, Kawai, Estonia, and Mason and Hamlin. I really enjoyed the Mason and Hamlin BB, but in the end the SK was just my piano.

I really enjoyed working with Bozkurt at Carnes Piano in San Jose. Lots of great pianos there.

Will post photos once it arrives. Now I need to get busy getting the room ready!

Shigeru Kawai SK6 (as of 10/22/12!!)
Ivers and Pond upright
MTNA, CAPMT
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Congratulations! That's a very exciting purchase.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
To my understanding this is an amazing and beautiful piano.
Would love to play a SK6.
Congrats and pleasure !

R
R
Congrats! I want to see a million pictures up here when you get situated. I am on the fence but leaning towards the Kawai Shigeru SK6 myself.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Amy B,
I hope that this beautiful piano will enrich your piano playing and turn your piano dream into reality.

Congratulations!

Robert.

R
R
Congratulations!! Post some sound clips if you get a chance!

Agree on your note about Carnes and Bozkurt. Although I ended up buying elsewhere, I did get to hear many fine pianos at Carnes.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Amy, this is great. We're excited for you! Can you put into 2 or 3 sentences what so grabbed you about the Shigeru over the other makes? I know it's hard to put this into words, but some of us could learn a lot if you want to try.

Also, did any of those other pianos turn you on a little besides the Mason & Hamlin? I might guess Schimmel, for example, or Bechstein.

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 10/07/12 10:52 AM.
Hi Amy

Congratulations on choosing a very nice piano indeed! You are so lucky only to have to wait a few weeks. I'm still waiting for my Sauter and it is getting more difficult every day that passes. crazy

Cheers,

Kevin

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Single Malts Forever!
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by allthumbs
You are so lucky only to have to wait a few weeks. I'm still waiting for my Sauter and it is getting more difficult every day that passes. crazy

Maybe Mr Sauter messed up the signature and decided to build you a new piano or cast a new plate. wink

A
Amy B Offline OP
OP Offline
A
To Peter,

It is really hard for me to put in words what made me go with the Shigeru. In the end, it was really a gut feel for me. The other pianos that I gave a second thought to were Bechstein, Boesendorfer, and Mason and Hamlin. The Schimmels just didn't speak to me, but I really can't say why. It would have been great to play all of the ones I liked right next to each other, but that just wasn't possible! In the end, I felt the Mason and Hamlin BB was a little harder to control (soundwise), and would have been a very loud piano in my home. The SK6 can get quite loud, but you can really play it very softly. I loved the range that it had. The action of the SK feels simply wonderful to me. It feels like a piano I can play for hours, without getting tired. I felt that a few of the pianos would do my fingers in after an hour of practice. I noticed this with Yamahas and a few Steinways, in particular.

A couple of other things helped my decision. One was an article by George Kolasis - http://www.georgekolasis.com/shigeru-kawai.html
He seems to know what he's talking about, and he ranks it among the top four pianos in the world. The other three are significantly more costly than the SKs. Another factor was the opinion of my piano technician. He was trained at Steinway - Hamburg. I thought for sure he would dismiss the idea of this new type of action, but he actually spoke very highly of the SKs, and I think is really looking forward to working on it!

And in the end, my heart just kept going back to the SK. I kept trying to talk myself into the smaller, less expensive SK3, but there was just something about that 7 foot mark that made it just that much better. I felt this way with Mason and Hamlin as well.

I hope that answers your question!

Shigeru Kawai SK6 (as of 10/22/12!!)
Ivers and Pond upright
MTNA, CAPMT
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hello again Amy B,
In your reply to Peter, you mention the feel and action of the piano as well as its dynamic range from pp to ff.
How did you find the timbre or tone colours of this SK6 piano? How was the sound in the treble which can be a problematic area for many pianos?

I would be most interested in your appraisal of the sound qualities of this piano.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Robert.

Originally Posted by ando
Originally Posted by allthumbs
You are so lucky only to have to wait a few weeks. I'm still waiting for my Sauter and it is getting more difficult every day that passes. crazy

Maybe Mr Sauter messed up the signature and decided to build you a new piano or cast a new plate. wink

Hahaha, maybe that could be the reason it's taking so long. laugh

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Single Malts Forever!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Amy,

There is good news from Kawai America for you . . your piano will leave the Los Angeles area this week! It should be able to be delivered to you some time next week.

Actually, this was my mistake - we have one coming from Japan in about 2 weeks, which I had told Bozkurt would be held for you. But when I got back to the office yesterday I found out that one had also arrived a couple of weeks ago while I was traveling, and I didn't know about it. So my surprise is yours as well!

Enjoy your new piano! And yes, please post pictures when it comes!

Don Mannino, MPA
Kawai America

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Amy, many thanks for your expanded thoughts. It's very difficult to talk about pianos and one's personal reactions to them, but you have done so wonderfully. Sometimes major decisions just fall into place with clarity. Enjoy that instrument!

Peter

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Amy B - Congratulations!

Great pianos and I know you will love it. They are a joy to play.

Now that K-Don has you pacing the floor in anticipation, he should replace the worn carpeting!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Congratulations Amy!

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations. I am a very happy owner of a SK5. Also purchased from Boz at Carnes. Great piano people over there. You will love your piano even more after the Master Tech. visit. I love the tone of the Shigeru and the action is second to none IMO.

Shigeru Kawai SK5
Vintage Vibe 64
Roland LX-15e
Roland Jupiter 80
G
G
Amy
Congrats on the piano selection. I've been on a similar hunt and played many of the same brands and possibles as you. While my decision isn't quite finalized it looks like I'll end up in a similar spot to you. We will await pics of your new SK6. I'll post me final saga shortly once the paper work is done.

Steinway B - 1958
Shigeru SK7
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, congratulations indeed.
I'm guessing that you are now going to have to change your Pianoworld signature tag line now.

S
S
Amy

Thank you for the nice comments. I am sure you will be fully satisfied for life with what I call the "perfect piano"

And yes, Bozkurt is one of the most knowledgeable sales persons in the piano business and extremely valued.. He is the son of a Turkish diplomat at the Mexican consulate, speaks four or five languages fluently, plays incessantly and studies ferociously about pianos. He travels for another German piano manufacturer and gives piano/sales symposiums around the country. He has learned diplomacy as a matter of course through upbringing.

I promise...He will answer and service all queries and build a very nice long piano relationship.

Kudos to you for your selection and the enduring process in finding the perfect piano.

A McBain-Carnes Piano Company - Since the 1920's
391 South Winchester Blvd San Jose, California
Purveyor for: Shigeru Kawai, Kawai, Walter Pianos
Preowned: Yamaha/Steinway (408)248-9200
www.sanjosepianostore.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission