2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1969401 10/06/12 10:41 AM
R
OP Offline
R
For the last couple of days, as I've been playing, my left pinky finger keeps aching. I've tried to go easy on it, by playing less strenuous pieces, and shortening the duration of my practicing, but the pinky pain just keeps coming back whenever I play. And I'm afraid that if I continue, I might injure myself. Any suggestions of what I should do? Thanks!

Music is enough for life, but life is not enough for music.-Rachmaninoff

Working on: Chopin waltz Op.64 No.2, Mozart K.331, Bach praeludium no.7 BWV 876
E
E
I had the same problem this summer! I strapped my pinky to my 4th finger and stopped playing for a few days. That finally took care of the problem. Easing off practice did not. I needed to take a complete rest for a few days.

Pianist
Private Piano Teacher
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
You may have pulled something. Playing a lot of pieces with octaves/left hand stretches? Could have been a contributing factor.. I would rest it, but keep in mind that it could take a month or more to fully heal. (Some strains, sprains and pulls can take 3-6 months, longer if they're real bad injuries. Stress and inflammation injuries can take longer, too.)

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
I second the complete rest idea, if a few days off don't fix the problem, I would consult a physician, there are many issues such as Trigger finger, arthritis, etc. that can cause long term problems if not addressed.

Retired Army reserve Bandsman who now plays for the Joy of Music!!
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I read this thread a couple days ago thinking, wow, that's gotta suck, and then I woke up this morning with the same thing frown. It's my right pinky -- too many octaves and extension I think. Time for a break! I'll be memorizing the LH part of my pieces this week wink.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by LadyChen
I read this thread a couple days ago thinking, wow, that's gotta suck, and then I woke up this morning with the same thing frown. It's my right pinky -- too many octaves and extension I think. Time for a break! I'll be memorizing the LH part of my pieces this week wink.

Been playing any Rachmaninoff lately? wink Could be a tension issue, also.. but I agree, give it a break for a little. Let it heal.

Also, I know I owe you a recording of 23-5. I'm back on Wednesday and will send it to you. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Derulux

Been playing any Rachmaninoff lately? wink Could be a tension issue, also.. but I agree, give it a break for a little. Let it heal.

Yes! And the annoying thing is, there was zero pain or discomfort while I was practicing yesterday and I made a lot of progress. But it definitely doesn't feel very good today.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yeah, I hate when that happens. Usually, for me, it has to do with what I'm doing away from the keys, but for the heck of it, which one are you working on? 23-6?

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Yes, and I'm experimenting with fingering in the RH to get it smoother -- so using 1 and 4 for black note octaves, etc, so there is a bit more stretch than I'm used to. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was causing the problem.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I find that something hurts after practicing, I usually take a moment to analyze my movements at the keyboard. More often than not, I find my fingers are unaligned (either at an angle to the hand, or twisted sideways), or am holding tension elsewhere and I can find a more economical movement that will minimize the pain and prevent its reoccurrence.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Many years ago, I developed this problem in my left pinky at the PIPJ (proximal finger joint) when I started playing pieces requiring a lot of bass octaves. I eased up on them, and the problem gradually resolved, and has not reappeared since even though I have been playing the same (Rachmaninoff's G minor Prelude) and similar pieces regularly since. It seems my joints have adapted to the increased stress. I didn't change my technique at all.

If music be the food of love, play on!
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, and I'm experimenting with fingering in the RH to get it smoother -- so using 1 and 4 for black note octaves, etc, so there is a bit more stretch than I'm used to. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was causing the problem.

Yeah, I almost never use 14 for an octave. Too much twisting and stress for my hand. You really have to get your elbow in to use 14, but I just use 15 and a dash of pedal if needed. smile

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

Yeah, I almost never use 14 for an octave. Too much twisting and stress for my hand. You really have to get your elbow in to use 14, but I just use 15 and a dash of pedal if needed. smile

K cool, I'm going to tell my teacher you said that. She loves it when I say, "But some guy on the internet said to..." laugh

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

K cool, I'm going to tell my teacher you said that. She loves it when I say, "But some guy on the internet said to..." laugh

HAHAHA as long as you don't tell her where I live, I'm cool with it. laugh

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission