2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Dear Piano Teachers...
When meeting new people, usually people ask what is your occupation, hobby etc trying to get to know each other. I encounter plenty of people asking me if I have a part time job when they know I am a piano teacher.
I wonder if you encounter the same thing as me. Is it normal to ask a piano teacher if they have part time job? I mean, we seldom ask if a dentist or a doctor has a part time job, but I got this 90% of the time, new friends asking me if I have a part time job.....

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, I've been asked it, but in reverse to the way I think you are asking it.. they ask "Do you do this part time?"

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I had someone ask me a couple of years ago whether I "work during the day". I said yes I start at 12:30 pm, but that most people want a later lesson. Afterwards I realized she wanted to know what ELSE I did for a living. No one has asked lately...since my studio has grown.

Another edit: Now that I think of it I have not met anyone the last few years except piano students, their parents and piano teachers. My lack of a social life explains why I haven't been asked about this topic lately. frown

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 10/08/12 04:14 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
And the answer is, "This IS my job. I am self-employed."

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've heard the question asked many different ways. Perhaps the most exasperating statement is (all too common): "But what do you do for a living?"

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I have to apologize for perpetuating this myth -- I teach part-time smile.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Well, it IS tough to teach piano full time, especially right after graduating from college. For several years I did have two jobs.

Many piano teachers I know also have other jobs. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I teach part time too, about 20 to 30 hours per week. But teaching piano is not my part time job, and I do not have another part time job to support myself, and I do not have a spouse that support me either.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
My husband and I are both full time artists but work part time.

People ask me how many students I have. I vary the answer because I can never remember.

I consider teaching piano an art form, obviously.

M. Katchur
P
P
When I'm at my part time job as a librarian in a small branch library, people often ask me if I have another job ...

Paul Slaughter
1911 M. Schulz 6'3" Grand
C
C
When the initial question comes of "What do you do for a living?" I used to respond "teach piano", but realized that can be interpreted as showing up once in a while to teach a lesson. The level of time and commitment is unclear.
I've since described my occupation as "I run a piano-teaching business" or "I own a piano studio". It sounds so much more full-time, and takes into account that I do all the paper-work, billing, ordering, inventory, scheduling, marketing etc. etc.
The next questions usually is "how many students do you have?" And when I tell them over 30, they quickly assume that I indeed do this full time.

Independent Piano Teacher, NCTM
Member of MTNA and ISMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
While those are good answers, the questions show disrespect. Would you ask a dr or dentist how many patients they have? Ditto other professions. If you are searching for a teacher, it's another matter, but we're not discussing this, are we?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Originally Posted by Crayola
When the initial question comes of "What do you do for a living?" I used to respond "teach piano", but realized that can be interpreted as showing up once in a while to teach a lesson. The level of time and commitment is unclear.
I've since described my occupation as "I run a piano-teaching business" or "I own a piano studio". It sounds so much more full-time, and takes into account that I do all the paper-work, billing, ordering, inventory, scheduling, marketing etc. etc.
The next questions usually is "how many students do you have?" And when I tell them over 30, they quickly assume that I indeed do this full time.

I, too, tell them that "I own a piano studio". I play as a professional musician on the weekends, and people sometimes assume that all I do is play in a band. I tell them that I teach full-time, in addition to the band.

Piano lessons in Binghamton, Vestal, Endicott, and other areas of upstate NY. Specializing in homeschool piano lessons.
www.binghamtonpianolessons.com
Member: MTNA, NYSMTA

White Rabbit - 60's, 70's & 80's classic rock, southern rock and blues rock band - Binghamton, NY.
www.thewhiterabbitband.com
K
K
Obviously part of the time people are being direspectful (jealous?) but I don't think ALL of those who ask these questions are being intentionally disrespectful. Sometimes they really just don't know! It's like assuming that all doctors are wealthy.

Right now, I work a full time day job and I'm taking my sweet time with building up my piano studio. I do take it VERY seriously. When people ask what I do, I tell them about my day job and then state that I also have my own piano teaching business. When I only say "I teach piano" or "teaching piano" lessons minus the business vocabulary, it's often assumed that this is a cute little hobby of mine.

If I ask someone who is a musician/artist if they do their thing "full time" it's because I'm genuinely curious and would want to ask them questions about how they make it work and how they like it so I can better prepare myself for my future smile I imagine I get starry eyes because the successfully self employed are impressive to me.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
My other job is as a breastfeeding counsellor. I'm totally used to people not understanding my job! wink

It has been a long road to seeing teaching piano as my main income. I am so glad I have finally arrived.

M
M
I got some parents who ask me about my social circle since i am always around kids and pianos. They think I should find a boyfriend and assume that I am lonely. Hahahaha

Being full time in the music line is a no fun thingy for them.. Hahahaha

Michelle YH Toe, LLCM
Piano Technician, CSPT
Piano Teacher
Accompanist
www.facebook.com/MichelleYHToe

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission