2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Ben,

It seems like a dead end here as no one has any idea about a Bohemia London. LTD. Did you ever try the link to the British piano group suggested by BerndAB? They have a forum focused on British pianos from that era. They might be much more helpful for you.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
OP Offline
S
Yes, only one reply from the mod himself, which wasn't too helpful as it was a rather vague response.

T
T
Originally Posted by sailorben
That is in no way of interest to myself. I am more interested in the history of the piano. Why everything has to be about money, I am clueless. My question was not whether it would be worth a rebuild or not as a viable investment. It has been in the family sin e then and moved households. No purchasing being done here, it is likely though that the piano will be rebuilt at a later date, for the sentimental value it with holds, not the 'shallow minded' inveatement.

good for you, Ben smile

all the best for your history search - and enjoy the the rebuild of your lovely old piano! don't let anyone scare you out of the attempt to keep your treasured family heirloom alive for another hundred years. if restorations were so very foolish, there'd be no vintage cars on our roads and no old houses still standing. the fiscal 'wisdom' of the thing doesn't enter into it - we do it because we value old things. it's screamingly obvious it aint going to be the same as the experience of a Shiny New Thing (you'd think we came down in the last shower grin ), but we don't enter into it thinking it's a 'near enough' proposition, do we. we enter into it deliberately seeking the difference, quite often. else it's out of sheer love for the art of the thing.

cheers

Last edited by tonedefreegan; 10/08/12 04:22 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Put much better than myself. Exactly. wink

T
T
I just find the idea that an object's worth is purely in its practical application to be clinically mercenary. I save that sort of approach for microwave ovens and underpants :p

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I just find the idea that an object's worth is purely in its practical application to be clinically mercenary..."

Oh, I don't know. Piano rebuilds are astonishingly expensive; it does enter into the decision, for most of us. The initial value and playability of a piano, when it was new, are also worthwhile things to consider. It doesn't seem to me that sailorben was asking to be pushed toward an expensive project to satisfy someone else's views. If he doesn't know what is involved when the term 'piano rebuild' is thrown down, it would be worth his while to find out.

I think a lick of piano polish, a tuning (if it's possible--- those birdcages are a nightmare, and many techs won't touch them) and maybe some brass cleaner might give him everything he wants.

Sailorben, since you begged for information and advice repeatedly, I can see that it's of some importance to you. So, I'm glad to see that you got some good advice for your trouble--- from Jurgen, who is very knowledgeable, and who gave you as accurate an appraisal as one can do by long-distance... though it was not sugared-up very much. We are fairly well used to getting letters on this forum, from inheritors of old pianos who believe that they're sure to be very valuable because of their old age, and because they're big, and a musical instrument. So if the advice was a bit terse, that is probably the backstory; you wouldn't be in a position to know it, unless you read through the back numbers on the forum.

You still got fine advice. Your next step, when you get around to it, would be to have a qualified technician see the piano in person. He can examine it for condition (which is all-important when it comes to fixing up used pianos), appraise its insurance value, and estimate the cost of putting it in order, if that's what you want. This kind of service call would cost around $100- 300, depending on the kind of report you require.

If you placed your location (state or country would do) on your post or profile, it might be possible to help you find a qualified tech in your area. If you're in the USA, you might try http://ptg.org or ask a local piano dealer for a recommendation.

It's nice to know you have something from your family, and that you have such a good feeling for it. Best of luck with your project.

Clef

T
T
totally expensive - never said it wasn't!

I restore antique furniture, and antique houses, and antique cars, and - god help me - antique caravans, so I have some idea of costs involved in resurrecting anything you might want to put to practical use. Mind you, I RESTORE, I never rebuild. Perhaps Ben is just wanting to restore his piano, in which case it's more akin to restoring a dining table, or chest of drawers. Lot's of sandpaper and elbow grease and 500ml of varnish. Not a lot of money. Throw in a tech and tune (T&T) for another $300-$500 and it's still inexpensive. Even if you had to spend another $1000, heck, even $2000, on parts and repairs, again - still cheap by newer piano standards. Granted you wouldn't go that far for Practical Reasons alone, but you would if it was a piano that meant something to your family smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission