2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 12 invisible), 1,807 guests, and 292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Sgt T Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello Everyone!

As mentioned above, I need some assistance in obtaining the MSRP for the NU1. I have searched the internet relentlessly for this information; however, I did stumble upon Larry Fine Piano Buyer Guide, fall edition. In the price section it has the NU1 listed at a MSRP of 5495.

On a more serious note, I went to a local piano store today, which is the only Yamaha dealer in the San Diego area; they have the NU1 listed at an MSRP of 6495! Can this be right? Moreover, I just want to check the facts before I dive right in. Frankly, I was offered the piano at around 5200, which does NOT include tax or delivery,totaling around 5770! YIKES!! Of course, I nodded my head, about-faced, and ran like a bat out of h*ll because the MSRP sounded rather specious to me. *GASP*

Anyways, I'm fairly new to the forum in terms of posting, but I have been a grumpy old troll for the past six months or so. Likewise, I have tried the Kawai 65 & 95, but I feel in love with the touch of the NU1. Any information would be helpful!

Last edited by Sgt T; 10/05/12 07:57 PM.

Adult Beginner
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think you can call Yamaha to confirm details like MSRP. The Piano Buyer is a good source, but the timing of publication could have missed a price increase.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
J
J
FYI someone told me they got a NU1 for $3870 'out the door' in Southern California. I got mine for $3999 + tax and delivery in the Seattle area.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have to a laugh. I've never seen the same MSRP on two identical Yamaha pianos in two stores in my life. Even when the stores belonged to the same owner they simultaneously had different MSRPs. At least cars have stickers in their window. Piano dealers make car dealers look good.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
The latest Keyboard magazine has it Listed as $5500.00

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think pianobuyer.com is trustworthy. If it says $5495, I'd go with that.

I wonder why is it that have an urgent need to know the MSRP?

Sgt T Offline OP
OP Offline
In response to MacMacMac, I plan to in a couple of weeks make the daunting decision between the NU1 or the Kawai 95. At this moment, I'm gravitating towards the NU1 because of the acoustic action, which I adore compared to the archaic Technics PCS 25 in my living room. Since this will be a major purchase for me, the first time, I want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off.

On a more serious note, I called around a couple of places in southern California and they have the NU listed at 5495 MSRP, one dealer even mention that Yamaha has told them to "increase" the MSRP, indeed, some rather specious to me. Anyways, I taught it was quite strange, at first, to find the dealer listing the NU1 at above 1,000 dollars from its MSRP of 5495. Again, I just want to make sure that I'm not getting the run-around because this is my first time, purchasing a piano.

Last edited by Sgt T; 10/08/12 03:53 PM.

Adult Beginner
Sgt T: The prices-paid thread is usually a good resource for many digital piano purchases. But the NU1 is quite new, and no one has yet listed a purchase price of an NU1.

In general, starting with the list price I would deduct 35% and make that my offer. So if the list price is $5500, I'd offer $3600 ... and accept a counter offer of $3900.

Be conscious of the dealer's delivery charge before you make an offer (because the dealer might pad the delivery charge to make up for a low selling price).

Good luck.

E
E
Originally Posted by Sgt T
In response to MacMacMac, I plan to in a couple of weeks make the daunting decision between the NU1 or the Kawai 95. At this moment, I'm gravitating towards the NU1 because of the acoustic action, which I adore compared to the archaic Technics PCS 25 in my living room. Since this will be a major purchase for me, the first time, I want to make sure that I'm not getting ripped off.

Hello
May I ask you if you have tried both pianos (CA95 and NU1) ?
About the price, I cannot help you as I got mine in Europe (France)
Cheers,

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
Sgt T Offline OP
OP Offline

In general, starting with the list price I would deduct 35% and make that my offer. So if the list price is $5500, I'd offer $3600 ... and accept a counter offer of $3900.

Be conscious of the dealer's delivery charge before you make an offer (because the dealer might pad the delivery charge to make up for a low selling price).

Thanks for the advice, MacMacMac!

Hello
May I ask you if you have tried both pianos (CA95 and NU1) ?
About the price, I cannot help you as I got mine in Europe (France)
Cheers,

Yes, I had a chance to play both pianos; however, I found the action on the CA 95 to be rather light, to my taste. I prefer a much heavier action and the NU1, quite rightly, has the touch I'm looking for in a digital piano that fits my budget.

Both pianos are remarkable, in their own right, but I found the NU1 to be more expressive when playing it. Of course, this is a rather subjective observation from a person-me, who has been taking lessons for roughly 7 months.

Confirmed with Yamaha US yesterday: MSRP 5495 US

Last edited by Sgt T; 10/09/12 01:11 PM.

Adult Beginner
E
E
Originally Posted by Sgt T

Yes, I had a chance to play both pianos; however, I found the action on the CA 95 to be rather light, to my taste. I prefer a much heavier action and the NU1, quite rightly, has the touch I'm looking for in a digital piano that fits my budget.

Both pianos are remarkable, in their own right, but I found the NU1 to be more expressive when playing it. Of course, this is a rather subjective observation from a person-me, who has been taking lessons for roughly 7 months.

Ok, thanks for sharing your opinions, and that is also exactly the reason why I made the choice of the NU1, but the Kawai is also a great piano (but I preferred heavier touch which is identical to my teacher piano)
Good luck for your purchase

Last edited by enzo.sandrolini; 10/09/12 03:52 PM.

Music is a lifestyle
(Happy Yamaha N2 and Roland FP90 owner)
S
S
Sgt T -

FWIW, I think MacMacMac is giving very good advice. Whether you get a good deal or not doesn't depend so much on what the theoretical list price is. It depends more on how effectively you negotiate.

You already have a little bit of information regarding the price range for actual transactions, which are obviously quite a bit lower than any MSRP you've heard quoted. That's useful.

The MSRP is basically a negotiating tool for the dealer. It creates so-called "anchor" price: the higher he says it is, the more tempted you may be to take a price favorable to him. But in the end, it's totally up to you whether you accept the validity of an MSRP as a justification for a particular price offer from the dealer.

Your best tool in the negotiation is your BATNA: your "best alternative to a negotiated agreement." In other words, you have the choice to buy an NU1, or go buy something else, or even postpone the purchase. Unless you actually say to the dealer that the NU1 is your be-all and end-all of digital pianos (a mistake, in my view), he will have an incentive to negotiate more aggressively, believing that he has serious competition.

You can say to the dealer, in essence, "I've evaluated several high-end digital pianos. A couple of them suit my needs. I'm ready to buy one today. I think the NU1 (or the CA95, whichever) is a great instrument, and I'd like to own one, but I need to stay within my budget." Then make an offer of the kind MacMacMac proposed. This kind of approach doesn't have to be confrontational. A good dealer will accord more respect to a buyer who has done his homework, and who maintains a confident and friendly tone.

IMO, when you've made up your mind to buy a piano, you have to walk into the store and convince the dealer of two things: first, that you are ready to buy one today (so he knows you aren't just pulling his chain); and, second, that you are willing to walk away if you don't get a price you consider fair.

Kind regards,

B.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission