2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I'm gradually preparing for the Gary Burton Improv Course offered by Coursera which begins in April 2013.
Students are meant to already know either how to improvise over an easy jazz tune or an easy blues tune. I know the former, and have just begun to listen to the latter.
My interest is in citified blues, the more sophisticated sound, rather than country blues. So I'm thinking of studying Louis Jordan's "Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby". What is the key I should begin learning this in ? Where can I buy the sheet, as it doesn't appear in the Real Book ?

I guess that a lot of you learnt blues before jazz. However, for those of you who have learnt jazz before blues, what were the key steps you took to make the transition ?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by custard apple
However, for those of you who have learnt jazz before blues, what were the key steps you took to make the transition ?

1. Play much slower
2. Play many fewer chords
3. Use the exact same riff-like motif for all 12 bars

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
V
V
Blues is awesome! First you need to learn the scale to be able to improvise on it. http://johncomino.tripod.com/bluesscl.htm
[video:youtube]-Y8QxOjuYHg[/video]

Victor
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by LoPresti

3. Use the exact same riff-like motif for all 12 bars

Ed

So you need some sort of LH independence ?

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Victorius
First you need to learn the scale to be able to improvise on it.

I agree that the sound drives the mind. I started revising Bb today starting from R, b3, 4, #4 etc.
Surprising how difficult it was !

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Victorius
Blues is awesome! First you need to learn the scale to be able to improvise on it. http://johncomino.tripod.com/bluesscl.htm

That Blues scale in the link is incomplete, although it is often published like that. If anything, it is a "skeleton" Blues scale, but there are several more notes typically used.

If anything, it is like saying a C natural scale is C - E - G - B - C; Some notes are missing.

If a scale is the notes on the menu that you can typically use in that key, a more complete Blues scale in C is:

C, D, Eb/E, F, F#, G, A, Bb, C.

At least that is what I play.

However, when learning how to play Blues eons ago I never heard about a "Blues Scale", and there were no books, DVD's, Youtube, etc. to help. I just listened to records of the Masters, and copied, or tried to copy, what they did.

To illustrate the scale, check out the hot link in my signature...lots of notes not in the skeleton Blues scale. (Key of G).

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by rocket88

a more complete Blues scale in C is:

C, D, Eb/E, F, F#, G, A, Bb, C.

At least that is what I play.

Thanks rocket. That's very interesting, I didn't know the Blues scale had a 2 and a 6 in it. It makes sense according to what I hear in Charlie Parker.
For some reason I couldn't find the link in your signature.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Custard, here is the link:

Sample from my Blues & Boogie-Woogie Piano CD:

https://www.box.com/s/43da5e4ca6432d021eb8

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks rocket. You're a great player and you have incorporated impressive stylistic elements too.
Is G Blues common ?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Thanks rocket. You're a great player and you have incorporated impressive stylistic elements too.
Is G Blues common ?

Thank you! I have been playing Blues since 1973, in all kinds of bands and configurations, and the common keys are:

C D E F G A Bb. If its a horn band, then lots to Bb and Eb.

Yes, G is quite common. A lot of Blues standards are most often done in the key in which they were famously recorded. "After Hours" comes to mind, (key of G), and "Stormy Monday" also often done in G, because that is what Bobby "Blue" Bland recorded it in, and the Allman Brothers did also in their cover which is considered the "Gold Standard" (Live at Fillmore East album).

The key also depends upon the singer. I sat in with a band last week, and the singer liked the keys of D and E.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
custard,

For that class I think they mean a "jazz blues", not traditional "blues" blues.

Go check out C Jam Blues, Bag's Groove (F) and Freddie The Freeloader (Bb)

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Seems to me that any course put on by Gary Burton will be playing jazz style blues, with the changes made standard in the be bop days. If you don't know those I'll write them out.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Thank you! I have been playing Blues since 1973, in all kinds of bands and configurations, and the common keys are:

C D E F G A Bb. If its a horn band, then lots to Bb and Eb.

Yes, G is quite common. A lot of Blues standards are most often done in the key in which they were famously recorded. "After Hours" comes to mind, (key of G), and "Stormy Monday" also often done in G, because that is what Bobby "Blue" Bland recorded it in, and the Allman Brothers did also in their cover which is considered the "Gold Standard" (Live at Fillmore East album).

The key also depends upon the singer. I sat in with a band last week, and the singer liked the keys of D and E.

Hi Rocket
So I've just listened to the songs and my favorite one was After Hours with Pee Crayton, he was very cool.
I agree with you that knowing a tune in many keys is extremely important.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by rintincop
custard,

For that class I think they mean a "jazz blues", not traditional "blues" blues.

Go check out C Jam Blues, Bag's Groove (F) and Freddie The Freeloader (Bb)

Hey rintincop
I really appreciate you having labelled the type of blues I like. You are so right, my favorite blues tune is Blues by Five by Red Garland. I went to a concert last week and the Andrew Speight quintet played it, with a surprise guest popping out behind the curtain, just before his solo, to make it Blues by Six. (He was Eric Alexander who is my favorite tenor saxophonist after Sonny Rollins).

I've just finished listening to your tunes, of these I liked Bag's Groove with the Miles Davis quintet the best. So a couple of those dudes can really swing their eighth notes.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jjo
Seems to me that any course put on by Gary Burton will be playing jazz style blues, with the changes made standard in the be bop days. If you don't know those I'll write them out.

Hey jjo
Thanks for your input and for confirming that jazz style blues is the label.
I'd greatly appreciate if you would confirm the standard changes.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
rintincop and jjo
So can I start improvising over jazz blues tunes without having studied traditional blues such as Pee Wee Crayton, BB King, Louis Jordan ?

I'm much more confident about my RH melodic lines, but what do you advise for a beginning LH ? I haven't done syncopation before.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Rocket
So I've just listened to the songs and my favorite one was After Hours with Pee Crayton, he was very cool.

Thats a great song, but I was referring to "After Hours" by Avery Parrish, recorded originally with the Erskine Hawkins Band back around 1940. (confusing similar names to the tunes).

Here is a clip of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGMSFbDma0

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
There are many variations, but the classic, for Bb blues, would be:
Bb7 | Eb7 | Bb7 | F-7 Bb7 |
Eb7 | Eb7 | Bb7 | G7 |
C-7 | F7 | Bb7 G7 | C-7 F7 |

The G7 and F7 chords are usually altered in some way.

If you know this basic sequence, you'll have a very good start. If you want to see the most complex variation (don't get intimidated; I'm sure you don't have to know it) look up Charlie Parker's Blues for Alice.

Hope this helps.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C

Hi Rocket

Thats a great song, but I was referring to "After Hours" by Avery Parrish, recorded originally with the Erskine Hawkins Band back around 1940. (confusing similar names to the tunes).

Here is a clip of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUGMSFbDma0

Hey rocket
Yeah that's a great creation indeed by Avery Parrish. Cool arrangement too.
The pianist in the clip was certainly missing nothing in his blues skills set. I noticed his technique is different to most jazz pianists, his wrists seemed stiffer than most jazz pianists, is this technique common for this type of blues, or is it just him ?

Last edited by custard apple; 10/09/12 01:17 AM.
S
S

Is G Blues common ?

Yes, G blues is common. I would recommend you learn all the guitar keys first (sharp keys). Eventually you'll want to learn to play equally well in all 12 keys though.

Every key is called on gigs. This is especially true in horn based bands as one poster mentioned. Also, Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn tuned their guitars down a 1/2 step. There are many guitar players who follow their example in this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission