Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
120 registered members (ando, bennevis, Beemer, anamnesis, Adypiano, anotherscott, ALEXANDER DYKER, Amedeus, beeboss, 31 invisible), 1,309 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question for the great sightreaders.. #1968860
10/04/12 08:01 PM
10/04/12 08:01 PM
CebuKid Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
CebuKid  Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
Much like most of us can still read this silly poster, is this pretty much how great sight-readers "read" musical notation too? smile

[Linked Image]

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1968876
10/04/12 08:54 PM
10/04/12 08:54 PM
Rainy England
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member
EdwardianPiano  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Rainy England
I have seen this analogy before- I have no trouble reading that passage but am not a good sight reader yet- being a beginner. However I have been reading about sight reading online and it seems sight readers don't read every note - they read as a whole. I can't explain it very well as I am getting to grips with all this.

https://edwardianpiano.wordpress.com/

Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.
Ludwig van Beethoven.
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1968883
10/04/12 09:40 PM
10/04/12 09:40 PM
Dallas, TX
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
packa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Dallas, TX
The poster is a good illustration of the concept of coding redundancy in language. By some information-theoretic measures, only 30% of the text of ordinary written English actually encodes the message. The redundant coding allows us to recognize sensible patterns in the presence of considerable amounts of "noise". This doesn't literally mean that 70% of the individual letters are redundant, but that some letters are more statistically important than others in suggesting the semantic patterns of the text to a fluent reader.

It's seems pretty clear that sight readers in music use cues in the score to recognize larger patterns too (i.e. they don't proceed note by note just as we don't consciously read letter by letter). But there is surprisingly little empirical research into the ways that printed music notation works as a written language or the ways that musicians learn to "read" it. There are some eye-tracking studies that I am aware of, but it seems like an interesting problem that could bear a great deal more study.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1968891
10/04/12 10:14 PM
10/04/12 10:14 PM
Canada
L
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member
LadyChen  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Canada
When I sightread, I think I read the "shape" of groups of notes. This is apparent to me when I'm sightreading something that was notated by hand, the the spaces between the notes aren't exact like on a printed page.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: LadyChen] #1968921
10/05/12 12:03 AM
10/05/12 12:03 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
I have never seen anything like this poster before. That was really interesting. Especially since this is a foreign language for me. I could read the text fine except certain single "words". These are probably words that I am not so familiar with so my brain could not reorganize the letters. If I would make an analogy to sight reading, I guess it means I would need to know the elements I see in notation before I can efficiently read complicated music.

Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1968938
10/05/12 01:03 AM
10/05/12 01:03 AM
Bristol, UK
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
EJR  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Bristol, UK
Interesting. I thought atfirst it was just written in Scots! But perhaps if you can read this with ease you are a poor sight reader since you not actually reading what is written?

Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: EJR] #1968943
10/05/12 01:19 AM
10/05/12 01:19 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
Originally Posted by EJR
But perhaps if you can read this with ease you are a poor sight reader since you not actually reading what is written?

Good point grin

But no, as with reading text as long as you need to read every charachter you will remain mediocre reader. Fast and efficient reading means not reading all details, but taking in clues to let your brain figure out a lot of the stuff from them. Fast readers don't even have to read every word in a sentence and they still understand everything. I believe the same goes for notation: You instantly recognize patterns and structures in music and don't have to read every single element. You could recognize a scale for example and play it fluently without the need to read every single note. It just takes a long time and a lot of practice to get to this level...

Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1968956
10/05/12 02:29 AM
10/05/12 02:29 AM
Philadelphia
D
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Derulux  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Philadelphia
I've found, over the years, that most of my sight-reading issues are due to technical facility and not due to my inability to read the score fast enough. I can pick up a score and "hear" the music in relative time in my head, read and recognize all the notes, so what I lack is the pure and raw technical ability to instantly translate that to the keys. I wonder if anyone else shares in this "handicap"?

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: Derulux] #1968966
10/05/12 03:05 AM
10/05/12 03:05 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
Originally Posted by Derulux
I've found, over the years, that most of my sight-reading issues are due to technical facility and not due to my inability to read the score fast enough. I can pick up a score and "hear" the music in relative time in my head, read and recognize all the notes, so what I lack is the pure and raw technical ability to instantly translate that to the keys. I wonder if anyone else shares in this "handicap"?

I guess that's because you already can sight read so well. I have an opposite problem. Apart from streches I usually don't have any trouble excecuting something, it's the "knowing what to do" part that is giving me the trouble...

Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1968998
10/05/12 07:43 AM
10/05/12 07:43 AM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Virginia, USA
Although the use of context aids greatly in sightreading there is a large difference between music and words and that is the basic finite possibilities of words. Take the example given - we all know those words; they can be picked out fine.

Take a simple musical example though. To follow the word analogy, I will keep the start and end letters the same. Now, we have five notes. Are these the same thing:

C - D - E - F - G
C - F - E - D - G
C - E - D - F - G

All of those (and more) are musically possible, no one of them is "more correct".

None of this is to say that we can't / shouldn't use musical context and clues - of course we should. But I think sightreading music is harder than reading text for the above reason. The ordering of individual "letters" is actually more important.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: Andy Platt] #1969016
10/05/12 08:53 AM
10/05/12 08:53 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
Originally Posted by Andy Platt
Although the use of context aids greatly in sightreading there is a large difference between music and words and that is the basic finite possibilities of words. Take the example given - we all know those words; they can be picked out fine.
Take a simple musical example though. To follow the word analogy, I will keep the start and end letters the same. Now, we have five notes. Are these the same thing:

C - D - E - F - G
C - F - E - D - G
C - E - D - F - G

All of those (and more) are musically possible, no one of them is "more correct".

None of this is to say that we can't / shouldn't use musical context and clues - of course we should. But I think sightreading music is harder than reading text for the above reason. The ordering of individual "letters" is actually more important.

One cannot really make that conclusion. The ordering of the letters is just as important if you do not know the word beforehand. We just use language and text everyday so we do not realize it anymore. For those people who cannot read properly using context is just as difficult as sight-reading is for beginning piano players. If you had been practicing sight-reading as much as you have been reading text in your life, you could probably just glance at the sheet and know immediately what to play.

Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: Andy Platt] #1969027
10/05/12 09:21 AM
10/05/12 09:21 AM
Dallas, TX
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
packa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Dallas, TX
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

C - D - E - F - G
C - F - E - D - G
C - E - D - F - G

The problem with this analogy is that we don't sight-read sequences of letters. We see spatially arranged glyphs and I suspect that the visual differences of these sequences are more easily recognized in score form than letter form. On the other hand, I also suspect there is less coding redundancy in printed music than in ordinary language.

Also, it may be true that all sequences are "musically possible", but that doesn't mean that all sequences are equally probable within a particular musical style. There is a fair amount of research looking at people's ability to predict the next element in musical motives or harmonies, and it is fairly easy to demonstrate that people do predict patterns based on a learned response that all sequences are not equally likely. The qualification here is that the prediction is based on familiarity with the musical tradition from which the example is constructed. I suspect that some kinds of music (e.g. atonal) are harder for many musicians to sight read than diachronic tonality. This doesn't mean that atonal music doesn't have an underlying "system" that selects certain patterns with higher probabilities than others. But coding theory and predictability depend on the knowledge state of the receiver as well as the structure of the message itself.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1969066
10/05/12 11:11 AM
10/05/12 11:11 AM
Toronto, ON, Canada
Quarkomatic Offline
Quarkomatic  Offline
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm not a fluent sight reader, but I've always thought that, for people who are really skilled in it, it must be similar to reading written language. But while music does have patterns, it doesn't really have words like a language, so I think reading music is much more complex.

It's difficult to imagine what the analogue of mixing up the letters in written language would be for sheet music. But even if sight readers don't read each individual note, each note must be identified correctly from its context - a combination of its position on the staff, the shape of notes around it, what notes are likely in the current key, etc. Music is often about repeating patterns with subtle variations, so I think assuming the pattern is the same will lead to a lot of errors. How many times have you encountered a repeated section in a piece of music thinking it was identical to something that occurred earlier, only to find out much later that there were actually many differences you ignored? Oh, just me? wink

Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: Quarkomatic] #1969081
10/05/12 11:48 AM
10/05/12 11:48 AM
Virginia, USA
A
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Andy Platt  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
A
Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by Quarkomatic
How many times have you encountered a repeated section in a piece of music thinking it was identical to something that occurred earlier, only to find out much later that there were actually many differences you ignored? Oh, just me? wink

Hey - you've been watching me practice?! wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: outo] #1969291
10/05/12 11:58 PM
10/05/12 11:58 PM
Philadelphia
D
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Derulux  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Philadelphia
Originally Posted by outo

I guess that's because you already can sight read so well. I have an opposite problem. Apart from streches I usually don't have any trouble excecuting something, it's the "knowing what to do" part that is giving me the trouble...

I don't know that I would consider myself a great sight-reader, but thank you for the kind words. smile Interestingly, a similar topic came up in another thread, and a piece of advice emerged that may help here. Consider listening to the music with score in hand. You can get a much better idea how to "sound" things when you can already hear it, and then go back later and try to do it without the music.

That might be the best I've got.. this is one of those areas where I'm as good as I am, don't know how I got there, and probably will not get any better at it. wink

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: Derulux] #1969310
10/06/12 01:19 AM
10/06/12 01:19 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O
Finland
Interestingly, a similar topic came up in another thread, and a piece of advice emerged that may help here. Consider listening to the music with score in hand. You can get a much better idea how to "sound" things when you can already hear it, and then go back later and try to do it without the music.

I believe my problem is also that I hardly ever encounter piano music that I haven't heard before. So I already know how it should sound and I try to follow what I hear in my head and that makes me go too fast...

BTW. Have you people tried to sightread modern more atonal music? It's weird, since you never know if you make a mistake or not. And then there are composers like Shostakovich, who although not atonal wrote "wrong" notes on purpose smile

Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1969596
10/06/12 09:23 PM
10/06/12 09:23 PM
Midwest USA
Stubbie Offline
Gold Subscriber
Stubbie  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Midwest USA
As several have noted, the context of the paragraph is important, too, to make sense of the poster text. If you scrambled the order of the words in the sentence or all of the words, period, it would be hard to read the individual words. So perhaps the sightreading analogy has to include, in addition to intervals, the key and phrases as well. And you would have to do it a LOT. Immerse yourself in it.

Once upon a time I was active in amateur radio and used Morse Code. To get really fast at “reading” Morse code, you have to learn to hear an entire word in code.

Now that I think about it, there are many similarities between sending and receiving code and playing piano. Code is actually rather musical and to send it well, you have to have a relaxed hand and correct movements.

Most people used "paddles" to send code. If you pressed one side you got a 'dit' and tapping the other side gave you a 'dah.' You could really motor with those things. No left hand harmony, though. smile

[Linked Image]
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: Derulux] #1969614
10/06/12 10:46 PM
10/06/12 10:46 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G
South Florida

I don't think this is necessarily a handicap. It is just reality. If you auditate extremely well, you can scan music and hear all of it because you don't have to deal with the technical problems, such as working out the exact fingering you need.

I am a VERY fast sight-reader, but I can hear faster, without playing. And I think that is a good thing!

Piano Teacher
Re: Question for the great sightreaders.. [Re: CebuKid] #1969886
10/07/12 03:02 PM
10/07/12 03:02 PM
Northern, Northern California
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member
TromboneAl  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Northern, Northern California
Yse, I thnik taht thi anaaolgy is a goood oen. Thnaks fro psotnig.

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Jazz Piano Lessons
Jazz Piano Lessons
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Here's the best story I've seen in a while
by Pianolance. 09/18/18 01:02 AM
Kawai CA78: touchscreen and other noises
by oscar9192. 09/17/18 07:58 PM
How do you mark your sheet music?
by schinl. 09/17/18 07:32 PM
Publishers of Alkan
by RmntcPianoLvr. 09/17/18 07:07 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,365
Posts2,746,385
Members91,018
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission