2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Originally Posted by gnuboi

Anyway the piano sounds great and even throughout!

Thanks - that's what I was trying to demonstrate by posting the recordings in the first place. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Online Content

Originally Posted by Chopinlover49
Carey; I am not sure why the comments about the playing. I thought it sounded very good. Wish I could play that well. The piano sounds different in each piece, but isn't that what the original poster wanted to know? If the tone range is wide? Of course, the acoustics, recording setup, etc. make it hard to judge. Would be better to hear the pieces live, of course. Still, the piano sounded good, especially the Schumann. Just my opinion and I am not an expert, of course.

Thanks Chopinlover49 !! If Dave felt the rhythm and transitions in the Brahms and Chopin recordings were choppy, so be it. I'm an amateur after all. ha And yes, I chose these recordings because the piano does sound different in each. Of course, the placement of the mic, the recording level, position of the piano lid, etc. varied - but all recordings were made with the same equipment.

Dave implies that the loudness of an instrument is more the function of the pianist than the instrument itself. I can assure you that I've played my fair share of concert grands in my life - but my own 2003 M&H is the only piano I've played where I felt compelled to rely heavily on the una corda pedal just to keep things under control. In fact, when I practice I prefer to keep the piano lid fully closed.

I do agree with Dave that my Brahms recording is "overplayed." I remember having trouble achieving the dynamic contrasts I wanted (with the lid fully raised) so I decided to go with the flow, give in to the power of the beast and bask in the glory of the sound. grin

For several years I found the touch of my Mason to be quite heavy. (Even started a thread about it on PW.) As a result, I had to work harder than usual to play certain pieces. Recently, I had my tech re-weight the keys and make other adjustments to lighten the touch (a long, complicated process). As a result the touch is now within a normal range - and guess what - I'm able to do more with color and dynamics. I hope that will be reflected in my next round of home recordings.

I know of a local piano teacher who has a M&H BB and a 7 foot Schimmel in his studio. I'm told that he prefers to keep the lid of the M&H fully closed much of the time because the Mason overpowers the sound of the Schimmel.

An acquaintance of mine sold new Masons. In conversations he admitted that the primary challenge with the BB is its overall loudness.

So yes - the Mason & Hamlin BB is a powerful instrument - but it definitely can be tamed !!

And my piano is in our living room, which although carpeted, is 20'x 28' and has a 20' cathedral ceiling. The sound really carries.

I know you're going to love your new BB !!!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
G
G
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by gmf001
Having been going through an exhaustive hunt for a new piano I've had a chance to play a number of M&H including some BBs as well a large number of Steinway Bs. I find that the Mason's are not well balanced or consistent from bass to treble - they sound like two different instruments, with the bass more prominent. While the bass has some immediate appeal I found the unmatched sound disturbing.

These were all recorded on a 2003 BB. Does the piano sound unbalanced or inconsistent from bass to treble??? smile

NOTE: There's no denying that the piano is LOUD - particularly in the Brahms - but I don't think that the sound is unbalanced from bass to treble. Of course, every piano is different......

It's difficult to judge piano tone from a youtube video, but from what I hear, I would have to say yes - it does sound unbalanced between bass and treble. The bass is big, rich, complex while the treble is thin and transparent. It's not bad - it's just different and I don't like the contrast from top to bottom. Some folks do and they will get years of enjoyment from their Mason's. The more I played on the BB that was first on my shortlist, the more annoyed I got with the contrast, so I moved on. But from what I hear on these recordings, the sound is similar to the experience I've had with Masons. I understand the appeal for some, but not for me - that's why we have different brands of pianos to choose from!

Last edited by gmf001; 10/04/12 08:44 PM.

Steinway B - 1958
Shigeru SK7

Online Content

It's difficult to judge piano tone from a youtube video, but from what I hear, I would have to say yes - it does sound unbalanced between bass and treble. The bass is big, rich, complex while the treble is thin and transparent. It's not bad - it's just different and I don't like the contrast from top to bottom. Some folks do and they will get years of enjoyment from their Mason's. The more I played on the BB that was first on my shortlist, the more annoyed I got with the contrast, so I moved on. But from what I hear on these recordings, the sound is similar to the experience I've had with Masons. I understand the appeal for some, but not for me - that's why we have different brands of pianos to choose from!

Vive la difference !!!!! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Online Content
Almost no one likes a treble that's "thin"(that term is almost always used negatively). Many and perhaps most people, including me, wouldn't agree with your description of the BB's tone which your post somehow takes as a given. On my BB I don't have a problem with the balance between the bass and treble.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I would suggest that you try a Mason-Hamlin AA to see the difference. I have heard that it is better balanced than some other models of Masons, so maybe that's what you're looking for? I tried one when shopping for a piano and it was very fine, but ultimately I chose a BB.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission