2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1966098 09/29/12 07:36 AM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
If I have posted this here before, my apologies. I cannot remember if I did and I just relistened to them myself.

Even if I did, this bears another listen - or a listen and some input from newer members. High End Piano Guy's blog is tremendous. Read through it. Believe me it is worth the time.

This post is a short series of several interviews with Garrick Ohlsson on pianos, performing, and just his feelings about music in general. It is a great insight.

Garrick Ohlsson Interviews

Anyway, I hope many take the time to listen to them. They aren't long and I would love your comments.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'll give you a comment:

High End Piano Guy is a pretentious twit.

I ought to know...

Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by BoseEric
I'll give you a comment:

I ought to know...

Full Disclosure = BoseEric IS High End Piano Guy.

Nice job Eric, you pretentious twit. wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Online Content
I have read most of the articles on Bosie Eric' blog. It's a perfect blog for many PW members. Not all of us are lucky enough to own a performance grade piano(especially the very costly ones in the top group), but many PW members are very interested in those pianos and they seem to get a lot of discussion on PW despite not being actually owned by that many members. It's quite amazing how much discussion there is at PW about pianos in the 75K and over range.

So thanks, Eric, for your fascinating and informative blog.

Great discussions...

Of course, I would like to have heard the pianos too. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Fantastic interview! Rich, thanks for posting it, and Eric, thanks for doing it!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Rich,
Yes, you did post this interview here a few years ago. It is a very insightful discussion and I like his open-minded attitude in not endorsing one excellent piano brand to the exclusion of the others.
It is a refreshing approach from a highly distinguished artist who certainly can speak with experience about the instrument.

Thank you for re-posting this invaluable snippet for all piano enthusiasts,

kind regards,

Robert.

Online Content
If someone will give me a nice Steinway, Mason, Bosendorfer, and Fazioli I will be willing to post my comparison based on how well they are suited Jerry Lee Lewis' Whole Lot of Shakin Goin On.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/29/12 02:26 PM.
The most important sentence [in my mind..] that was said was this:

"Chopin is more important than the piano"

Couldn't agree more....

Norbert

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ditto!
Kind regards,
Robert.

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by BoseEric
I'll give you a comment:

I ought to know...

Full Disclosure = BoseEric IS High End Piano Guy.

Nice job Eric, you pretentious twit. wink

Now everyone is going to refer to him as a pretentious twit. smirk

In all seriousness, thanks Rich for the interesting series of

topics...

allthumbs

Last edited by allthumbs; 09/30/12 07:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Single Malts Forever!
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Great interview. Ohlsson brings up good ideas about the need to let pianos season in their venues rather than bringing them in for a concert, then shipping them back out. I am surprised that all the great halls don't do what the Boston does. Does anyone know which ones do?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I found it interesting - though I was hoping he was going to dish some dirt about the Steinway Artists arrangements and the effect that has on the diversity of performance pianos. He's obviously decided to sidestep that topic from now on.

Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by ando
I found it interesting - though I was hoping he was going to dish some dirt about the Steinway Artists arrangements and the effect that has on the diversity of performance pianos. He's obviously decided to sidestep that topic from now on.

ando,

Not from now on, but maybe for recorded posterity. He has been there and done that and it is all on record in the newspapers of the time. Garrick is so much more than that subject. It was ugly for the company involved, but it is over.

Incidentally, a few years ago, one day before a concert here in Philadelphia, we got a call from Ohlsson's people. He was playing here in Philly and preferred not to play on "the house" S&S. They wondered if we had a well prepared Bosie Imperial available, which we did.

BUT, instead of charging the usual $2500.00 to $3000.00 for an emergency Imperial rental, prep., and same night pick up, we asked if after his concert he could attend a reception in his honor that we put on in a hotel suite across the street from where he played. He said - keep it to 2 hours and less than 40 people and he would do it.

The evening was wonderful. I got to spend some quality time with Garrick and chatted about a variety of subjects - music, piano, opera (I am a singer). When the reception began, the Q&A session all centered around the subject you are reffering to and Mr. Ohlsson answered very frankly, but added that today, he is simply a fan of great pianos, and he played on one that evening. He got a wonderful round of applause.

At the end of the reception he signed some headshots that he had with him and gave me two - one for our store and one for me personally. This is what he signed for me:

[Linked Image]

It says - To Rich,
I wish I could sing like you.

To be clear, he has never heard me sing a note. He was just being nice guy and giving me something cool to hang over my desk. That is where it proudly hangs. thumb

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Hi Rich, I can certainly understand how this issue may have become very tired in your part of the world. In Australia it didn't get any coverage here at all. I've only just recently heard about it through clicking on online newspaper articles. So I'm sorry if I raised something that is irritating to you. I wasn't aware that it had become so notorious/tedious for you folks.

For what it's worth, I am full of admiration for Garrick's integrity in the way he handled that whole issue. That was the main reason I was interested to hear his comments on it. I also think it's highly relevant to the discussion about pianos in specific venues. But I'm happy to leave that hornet's nest alone.

Nice personal story about Garrick, by the way. smile I've heard such great testimonials about you and your store, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'm definitely going to pay Cunningham's a visit.

Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by ando
Hi Rich, I can certainly understand how this issue may have become very tired in your part of the world. In Australia it didn't get any coverage here at all. I've only just recently heard about it through clicking on online newspaper articles. So I'm sorry if I raised something that is irritating to you. I wasn't aware that it had become so notorious/tedious for you folks.

For what it's worth, I am full of admiration for Garrick's integrity in the way he handled that whole issue. That was the main reason I was interested to hear his comments on it. I also think it's highly relevant to the discussion about pianos in specific venues. But I'm happy to leave that hornet's nest alone.

Nice personal story about Garrick, by the way. smile I've heard such great testimonials about you and your store, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I'm definitely going to pay Cunningham's a visit.

ando,

I am not tired of it personally, but I think Garrick might be. That is what I was saying in my earlier post.

I think S&S acted horribly and their tactic in this case backfired. Frankly, instead of 1 review that Mr. Ohlsson expected, the debacle wound up getting multiple reviews and articles written on it, many of which are still available online if you google a little.

This entire situation probably helped Garrick's career and certainly put the name Bosendorfer into heads that had never considered it before.

The shame of it is that this type of behavior has not stopped and may have actually escalated since then.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
B
BDB Offline
B
Garrick Ohlssohn acted badly. It may have been unthinking, but he should not have agreed to the terms of the endorsement in the first place. Too many artists sign on to these deals without a genuine commitment to the product. They want the benefits without the responsibility.

Semipro Tech
B
B
I wonder what clout the term ´´Steinway Artist´´ has outside USA. Pierre-Laurent Aimard, a SA, played a high-profile concert in London not long ago on the Yamaha CFX, which was broadcast live by the BBC on their classical radio station Radio 3 (whose announcer mentioned that in case listeners thought the piano didn´t sound like a Steinway, indeed the piano used was a ´new model by Yamaha´).

And Aimard took the starring role in what amounted to a Steinway promotional DVD just before that, in which he carefully chose the Steinway D he wanted for his recording of Bach´s The Art of Fugue. And the subsequent recording of the same works he played in that concert was on Steinway...

If music be the food of love, play on!
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by BDB
Garrick Ohlssohn acted badly. It may have been unthinking, but he should not have agreed to the terms of the endorsement in the first place. Too many artists sign on to these deals without a genuine commitment to the product. They want the benefits without the responsibility.

BDB,

Please remember - there was no agreement. I won't go into the details now, but if you need me to I can.

Google Garrick Ohlsson Steinway and read the articles. He was just a young artist who liked Bosies and said so. He was not a Steinway artist.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

The incident in question took place over 30 years ago. The piano world was a different place then.

Last edited by BoseEric; 10/01/12 08:10 PM. Reason: Rich told me I was being mean...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission