2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
R
Perri, would you sign my book? Please?

Rodolfo Grunberger
Piano amateur
Gebrüder Knake Grand, 7'1", circa 1895
Celaya, Mexico
Lipson Offline OP
OP Offline
Buy the book from her link on grandobsession.com and look for the signed book info. It's there.

It looks like Perri has a cult following, and I'm part of the cult. I've been seduced into the world of culture, fine arts and beautiful music. I am also determined to improve my tuning abilities, and will pursue voicing. There's no turning back now.

Last edited by Lipson; 09/05/12 12:25 AM.
T
T
Ha! What a coincidence. I just finished reading Perri's book the other night. I echo Lipson's fine review. It was a delight!

T
T
I recently purchased Grand Obsession but haven't started to read it yet. I'm very excited to realize the author is right here on this post! I'm currently finishing up the Liberace scandal book, which is supposed to shortly become a movie.

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
Lipson Offline OP
OP Offline
Perri Knize and Liberace in the same paragraph????? Holy Cow! Perri will get a laugh from that. I love this forum.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Lipson
Buy the book from her link on grandobsession.com and look for the signed book info. It's there.

It looks like Perri has a cult following, and I'm part of the cult. I've been seduced into the world of culture, fine arts and beautiful music. I am also determined to improve my tuning abilities, and will pursue voicing. There's no turning back now.

Wow. I am impressed that the book has effected you so, Neil. I am certain that this would make Perri proud.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
R
R
Lipson, when I wrote on my post that I was heading to Amazon to place an order for the book, I really was!!!

Ordered the book 3 minutes later, and it' on its way to Mexico in a few days.

I guess I will have to settle with a virtual signature.

Well, Perri willing confused

Everyone have a great piano enjoying weekend.

Rodolfo Grunberger
Piano amateur
Celaya, Mexico
Originally Posted by Rudy99golf
Lipson, when I wrote on my post that I was heading to Amazon to place an order for the book, I really was!!!

Ordered the book 3 minutes later, and it' on its way to Mexico in a few days.

I guess I will have to settle with a virtual signature.

Well, Perri willing confused

Everyone have a great piano enjoying weekend.

I bet if you just wrote her a letter, she'd write you back so you'd have her signature.. she's a very nice lady.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rudy99golf
Perri, would you sign my book? Please?

sure!

you can order one in missoula, where i live, and i'll go down to the local book store and sign it. or if you already have a copy you can send it to me to sign and i'll send it back to you.

if you go to the "buy" page on my website (see my signature line) you'll find instructions on how to get a signed copy, and on the "contact" page there's a form you fill out and send that goes to my email inbox.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lipson
Perri Knize and Liberace in the same paragraph?????
\

perfect! wink

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
thank you tribbs! blush

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

R
R
Hey guys, I just got to my office and had a great surpise. My "Grand Obsession" book is sitting on my desk. Arrived this morning from Amazon.

Yes guys, that is how long it takes for a book (or two, also got The Piano Shop on the Left Bank) to reach Mexico from Amazon.

I will start reading it this evening. It seems it´s going to be a great too short weekend laugh

Rodolfo Grunberger
Piano amateur
Celaya, Mexico

I will start reading it this evening. It seems it´s going to be a great too short weekend laugh

I already lost 2 weekends reading it twice.

No chance for third time until its starts raining....

Norbert thumb

B
BDB Offline
B
I could not read it more than once. Gothic horror stories are not my thing. That poor piano!

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
bdb: laugh

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

B
B
It was Perri´s book I have to thank for introducing me to this wonderful forum in 2010.

Though I have to admit that initially I thought she made the part about this forum up (writer´s prerogative and all that...), until I checked it myself... blush

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
She did make it up - this is not real! crazy

Dave Koenig
Yamaha M1A console
1927 Knabe 7' 8" grand
https://sites.google.com/site/analysisofsoundsandvibrations/
Lipson Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, it got me back into the piano! Well, not in it physically. Well, yeah, it's a big piano, but, I'm not.. Never mine.

Neil
big Yamaha C5

Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
Gold Level Forums Subscriber Until Aug 29 2013
I don’t even know where to begin about this book. I got it two weeks ago and read through it in a week. I could have ripped through it faster, but I wanted to savour it!

I rarely read non-fiction, but after reading the good reviews it had on this forum, I got it, and I can’t even begin to describe how glad I am! When I read paragraph 3 on page 19, I was in tears. That was me… in every way… all my life. I knew right then this book was going to be a real experience. There was so much in it that I related to, either the feelings felt, or the experiences described. There were so many things that I also had experienced, especially when I was a kid, but I never really understood or knew how to describe because I was so young. By the end of the book, I had had so many eye-opening moments that a whole world had suddenly opened up and I really understood what I had been perceiving, although I didn’t understand it at the time. The explanations about why she felt how she did, how the vibrations and tones were compatible with her own and took her away really resonated with me. The part about notes relating to colour made me understand things I see as well. It was such a major revelation about myself, I felt like I was right there beside her the whole way, learning the same things about myself that she was about herself. It’s truly been an altering experience. The biggest impact was, as I mentioned, finally having someone put into words the things I’ve felt and experienced myself, and knowing that someone else out there understands it, because I’ve always been looked at like I was an idiot whenever I tried to express it.

Another thing that still hits me is that everyone in the book is a real person! The places are real. Everything is still there, and everyone is still around. It wasn’t a history book where everyone mentioned has been dead for a long time. These people are still out there, being completely amazing and awesome! I can’t begin to describe how much I would love to meet a lot of the people mentioned in this book, like Marc and Carl, or go and see the places mentioned, like Beethoven’s or the Grotrian factory in Braunschweig. I feel quite honoured to be on this forum where so many of you showed your true colours in trying to help her, and I get to associate with you all. It’s truly a wonderful thing.

The chapters ‘Revelation’ and ‘Physics and Metaphysics’ were real eye-openers because they just made so much sense and reinforced what I already instinctively knew inside but never actually researched. The section where she travels to Germany to understand how pianos are made and why they have the effect they do was… so… I can’t think of the word for it, but it was awesome.

Thank you so much Perri for sharing those experiences with us all. I can’t begin to describe how heartwarming it was to know that there are a lot of us out there who feel the same way but don’t really have others to talk about it to, because most people just don’t understand. I’m never going to forget this book or how it touched my heart, and I’m sure I’ll be reading it again very soon. Knowing that there are other kindred spirits out there really makes me glad I decided to take up the piano, even at my age. Music really is a unifying thing.

I could go on and on, but I think I blasted everyone with a big enough wall of text! blush

"Music is something so innocent and pure, it makes a person completely naked - in music you cannot lie." - Alice Sara Ott

Playing since December 6, 2011.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
stryder87,
thank you so much for taking the time to post your thoughts about the book. it goes both ways, you know. the greatest blessing of this book has been to help me realize that i'm not alone, that there is an entire tribe of us, all over the world, who have experienced what we have experienced, who understand our inner world.

and every time someone writes to say that they got it, that it resonated with them, that's one more affirmation that i am not all alone in the world.

and since i no longer have the great privilege of running around with higher beings like marc and carl in my daily life, it's good to have the occasional reminder that we are many. smile

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission