2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1968153 10/03/12 09:34 AM
L
lili23 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi everyone,

in September I have been touring with my Debussy program "With Debussy around the World" - so here's L'isle joyeuse:

Hope, you enjoy!
Lydia

Wow, Very enjoyable and inspiring.

Dan

Dan (Piano Tinkerer)
L
lili23 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thank you very much!
Lydia

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
L'Isle Joyeuse has been one of my favorite works for the piano since I was a teen. That was well played.

You might want to borrow some good microphones to get a more professional sound quality in some recordings. This sounds like an internal microphone in the camera, and it's a long distance from the piano. The resulting sound is a bit more muffled and indistinct than you would probably like.

L
lili23 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
@Piano*Dad: It's recorded with a Zoom Q3 HD. I'm still struggling finding the best setting for each hall and sometimes it seems impossible, especially when you can set the Zoom only behind the audience.

A zoom from the back of the hall cannot capture the best sound of the piano. The distance will compress the sound and make it mushy. Your pp was substantially lost, and your fortissimo was pretty much mezzo forte. If you want to get the best performance out of the little Zoom, try hanging it from a microphone pole near the strings. Then have someone record the video on a separate camera. You can blend the two in any standard video editing program. Better yet, borrow two good condenser microphones for the audio and match it with HD video. The HD video is easy these days. Just about any good SLR camera comes with HD video mode.

Here is a sample of the video quality of such a camera (Canon SLR) Sample HD video

Even after youtube compression it is pretty high quality video.

The sound is coming from the SLR's internal microphone, and the camera was at the back of the hall, so the sound suffers from the same dynamic compression as your Zoom. Still, it's not bad at all for an all-in-one device.

If you have friends with SLR cameras that have HD video capacity, you could create a very professional set of videos that have multiple camera angles. If you don't enjoy producing edited videos, again, you could find a friend who does. A few videos of this sort would really show off your considerable talents!

L
lili23 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
@Piano*Dad: Well, this video was never supposed to be a professionally edited video but a concert impression. When I'm touring, I can't take a lot of equipment with me and also I don't have anybody with me to do the recording.
A professional video is in the planning and will come out in a few months.

Last edited by lili23; 10/09/12 06:10 PM.
Good. That'll be a great way to give your abilities some more visibility!

But you really don't need professional editors to get a good concert impression. As I noted, an SLR camera on a simple tripod will give you higher quality video and audio. If you want to use the Zoom, you can get a more "present" and cleaner sound by planting your friend who is making the recording closer to the piano. Zooms mount nicely on a monopod or tripod.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission