2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
How can I learn improvisation, different styles of improvisation, balade, latino, etc...

How can I expand my harmony and learn to harmonise, inner voices and so on...

Is there any literature?

Im classical trained pianist. More then 10 years of playing piano. I have advanced techinque.

Last edited by magic_fingers; 09/29/12 11:21 PM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Mark Levine's THE JAZZ PIANO BOOK is the industry standard, it's highly recommended.

Dave Frank

M
OP Offline
M
Dave,

thank you so much for reply.

I will get that book and get back to you. I just was reading a little about that book?

That is basic in jazz improvisation? It has lots of theory which I already know, but I never read anything on jazz harmony. I will read this book and get back to you.

By the way,

I have me youtube chanel, where I put my improvisations,

as I said I never read and learn jazz impro, just my my ear and by my classical harmony trained ear I caught some melodies...

I must say that I play lots of Liszt and Rachmaninoff, so you can hear them in my impro.

HEre is youtube clip:

If you and anyone else can help me to learn and get the knowelage on jazz harmony and advanced harmony, it would be great.

Tell me what do you think on my impro.

Here is another one, please take you time and listen and tell me what do you think. Thank you smile

Last edited by magic_fingers; 09/30/12 12:53 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
please take you time and listen and tell me what do you think.

I can tell you have great technique, and it sounds like you already have a good understanding of what notes to play.

Many will like your selections as they are, but for me they are too busy. Too many notes, embellishments and runs. Especially "Girl from Ipanema."

I find a lot of YouTube recordings of this that are similarly busy and unrelaxing, but compare yours with this one:

Last edited by TromboneAl; 09/30/12 08:11 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Magic fingers, your renditions are interesting, you are already a masterful player with your own sort of style.
But maybe you could start the tune playing with less motion and intensity and build it up to more intensity and motion as the piece develops. It sounded like you were doing the grand climax at the beginning instead of towards the end. If you start at a super high intensity level there is nowhere to go from there and it becomes overwhelming to listen to.
But keep doing what you are doing and don't let others coax you into a mold, don't try to sound like every other player. Do listen to some Keith Jarrett and Bill Evans solo piano and notice how the arcs of intensity develop in their performances. .

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I think you need to do two things:
1. Get a basic understanding of jazz theory, such as chord progressions, jazz scales and voicings. The Jazz Piano Book is a good recommendation.
2. Listen to a lot of great improvisers. Even better, get some transcriptions of improvisations. There are plenty out there. Get a book of Bill Evans transcriptions, or Oscar Peterson. You don't necessarily learn anything specific, but you slowly absorb new ideas and sounds from listening to the masters which eventually seep into your improvisation.

I've been studying jazz for years, but I still try to listen almost everyday (IPod at the gym!).

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by davefrank
Mark Levine's THE JAZZ PIANO BOOK is the industry standard, it's highly recommended.
Dave Frank

Mr. Fingers,
I also like a book authored by a former colleague of Dave's ::
Ray Santisi's BERKLEE JAZZ PIANO - currently available at your favorite music store.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
in the times of Beethoven or Bach you'd learn harmony, counterpoint and improvisation

classical piano demands sight reading and tight technique so that you can play all that repertoire perfectly down to the last note

I find it funny that classical piano teaching in our time basically traded improvisation skills for the ability to perfectly reproduce what were basically their best improvisations written down

unlocked by keys
wordless poetry sings free
- piano music -
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Classical requires reading and memorization but "sight reading" is not essential. Sight reading means the ability to play a piece the first time you look at it.
Improvisation refers to spontaneous "composition" in the moment. I don't believe the compositions of Bach and Beethoven were quite their improvisations written down. They could have begun from improvisations, but Bach and Beethoven carefully worked and reworked their compositions, thus the results were not exactly spontaneous. But maybe in a few cases they were.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission