2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,965 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

I found this video in YouTube...What do you think?

Yamaha P-105 (+ L-85 and Proel GF01 Damper Pedal)
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Well, when it comes to the sound and touch of any DP it is a highly subjective matter. That's why you need to try out whatever you are considering for yourself. You need to draw your own conclusions about the action and sound. Nearly all DP sound inferior to a good software piano run through a computer.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I finally got to try both tonight at Sam Ash- I think I see where Sam is coming from and agree:

They called and said they had only the 105, but the 150 must have arrived shortly after.

Upon looking at the design of the PX150 board, it seems one of the features I enjoyed- the brilliance setting is not there.

In terms of the overall feel of the keys, i would have to go back (350 when it arrives) but to me, although the texture was nice I cannot confirm that I enjoyed it more than the 130.-And note this is not a bad thing- in fact it is a testament to the manufacturers like Casio and Yamaha that a 2 or 3 year old keyboard holds it own against newer models.

In terms of the 5 piano sounds, and this could be the speaker, at times I found the sounds to bright on the 150.

Speakers were to me not an improvement of the 130's and possibly inferior.

I will defintely not be trading in my 130 for a 150, but would consider a 350 or potentially an 850.

Onto the Yamaha, the P105 was right above the P95 and here is my review in one sentence:

The P95 is no slouch compared to the 105.

Speakers are slightly to moderatley improved, potentially I felt as though I heard 2 layers- playing Elton's Funeral For a Friend.

I enjoyed playing it as much as the 95.

I did not leave the store thinking about how much I was going to get for my current keyboards on craigslist.

One of the P105 EP's had a better Rhodes sound then the P95, but not even as good as the PX130. I thought the PX135 Rhodes was similar to the PX130 but I am convinced these speakers were mediocre at best. I will certainly go back and try the 350, but doubt I would get an 850

If I owned neither board as it was, I honestly might just go for the P105- this could have been the size of the room I was in but as much as I love Casio, i think the EQ of the speakers could have used some improvement.

In terms of spending $100 more (or perhaps $85 if you have a coupon) I would defintely pay the extra for the 105.

However, to me a PX130 with a price drop would be more tempting than the PX150 right now.

In conclusion: as I will be moving soon the P95 will likely be in my living room, and the PX130 will be in my bedroom or den on the xstand near the Juno Gi.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
Originally Posted by Possum P95

Upon looking at the design of the PX150 board, it seems one of the features I enjoyed- the brilliance setting is not there.

Still there, although not labeled.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Ok- thanks I'll go back and look at it- really looking forward to the 350- I wasn't trying to be critical though by any means-

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Possum P95
In terms of the 5 piano sounds, and this could be the speaker, at times I found the sounds to bright on the 150.

Possum, perhaps Casio has brightened up the sample to compete more directly with the brighter Yahama piano tone. I think you will need to listen to each piano with headphones to really get a sense of which you like better. On board speakers on slab pianos are at a big disadvantage due to size/space. It would be interesting to compare the sound say on the PX-850 which has a better and more powerful amp/speaker combination.

Mike,
Is the piano sample still 4 layers on the new privia?

Last edited by galaxy4t; 09/25/12 12:24 AM.
Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Well, when it comes to the sound and touch of any DP it is a highly subjective matter. That's why you need to try out whatever you are considering for yourself. You need to draw your own conclusions about the action and sound. Nearly all DP sound inferior to a good software piano run through a computer.

thanks for the reply! But it will be almost impossible to try both (px150 and p105) before I buy frown I'll buy according to the reviews expressed in the forum...

Last edited by Carlos Almeida; 09/25/12 06:17 AM.

Originally Posted by galaxy4t

Possum, perhaps Casio has brightened up the sample to compete more directly with the brighter Yahama piano tone. I think you will need to listen to each piano with headphones to really get a sense of which you like better. On board speakers on slab pianos are at a big disadvantage due to size/space. It would be interesting to compare the sound say on the PX-850 which has a better and more powerful amp/speaker combination.

Mike,
Is the piano sample still 4 layers on the new privia?

I couldn't agree more about the headphone comment. The level of ambient noise in music stores doesn't make for an ideal listening environment.

Yes 4 layers on the new models. I wouldn't characterize the new pianos as brighter, but more accurate. In the PX-350 YouTube video that I posted (same piano as PX-150), I think you'll hear that overall it is more musical and has a wider range of expression.

The speaker system on the new PX-150 and PX-350 is different than previous models and the mid to high range of these speakers is definitely more detailed.

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 09/25/12 09:38 AM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
P-95, P-105 and P-155 Comparison By Yamaha
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article...s/digitalpianos/p_series/p-155/318/7263/

Yamaha P105 has 3 dynamic levels. P95 has only 1.

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Carlos Almeida
P-95, P-105 and P-155 Comparison By Yamaha
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article...s/digitalpianos/p_series/p-155/318/7263/

Yamaha P105 has 3 dynamic levels. P95 has only 1.

Wow, it's a red letter day! Specs are falling from the sky!

That's one of the most informative single pages of info I've ever seen from Yamaha.

R
R
Wow so the P-105 has key off samples, sustain samples, damper resonance and 3 levels of dynamic sampling....that's pretty darn impressive for $100 more than the P-95 that did not have that! I do realize that you can't adjust those parameters,but for $600 bucks plus 128 note polyphony, this sounds like a great lightweight second keyboard, for those quickie gigs!.I can even deal with GHS action and wall wart power supply, lol.

Rhodes MkII Stage 73, Yamaha CP4, Yamaha Reface CP + DX
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Rhodie73
sounds like a great lightweight second keyboard, for those quickie gigs!

Yup... though I'd hate the idea of buying a board to gig with that didn't have a MIDI port, where I couldn't expand the sounds with a module, or trigger additional sounds to layer/split from a second tier board. A very unfortunate limitation in my book.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Yup... though I'd hate the idea of buying a board to gig with that didn't have a MIDI port, where I couldn't expand the sounds with a module

It's like Yahama uses a dart board to decide what random inexpensive feature is removed from each dp model.

B
BaR Offline
B
Originally Posted by xorbe
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Yup... though I'd hate the idea of buying a board to gig with that didn't have a MIDI port, where I couldn't expand the sounds with a module

It's like Yahama uses a dart board to decide what random inexpensive feature is removed from each dp model.

I feel it's intentional so they "force" the buyer to "buy up" to the P155. Do they honestly believe leaving off the MIDI din In/Out connectors is going to be a crowd pleaser? Still a pretty nice board for the $

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by BaR
I feel it's intentional so they "force" the buyer to "buy up" to the P155. Do they honestly believe leaving off the MIDI din In/Out connectors is going to be a crowd pleaser? Still a pretty nice board for the $

Nice try, but the P155 weighs in at 41 pounds and lacks the 3-pedal option. Thanks for playing though! [Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
S
S
I wonder how hard it would be to 'hack' a 5 pin din midi output onto the boards that only have usb midi. It would only be really feasible if the usb midi was an 'add on' and they've just omitted the din output, rather than 'designed in' with a serial data stream from the cpu where there would be no easy way to tap the midi data.

Last edited by Stevesie; 09/25/12 10:10 PM.
B
BaR Offline
B
Aw, come on, what are you talking about? Everyone knows those other 2 pedals are just for looks!

B
B
I just ordered the casio px-350!

D
D
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and I'm undecided between the Casio PX-150 (or perhaps 350) and Yamaha P105. The only shop in my town has the Yamaha P105 but they don't plan to stock any Casio unless I order it, so it's a bit risky. I have heard note decay was rather bad in previous Casio models, which is bad for classical music, so I would like to know: considering that I'm only interested in good sound (through the speakers, though maybe I can afford a couple of monitors in a couple of months) and that I mainly play slow classical pieces like Chopin's nocturne, Beethoven's moonlight sonata, Fur elise, you get my drift... what is the best piano for me between the two? I know it's a subjective matter, but if you think that one of those pianos is clearly better for my purposes, I'd love to know your opinion.

Thanks in advance smile

Last edited by Dalek; 09/29/12 01:29 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission