2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I'm 6'4" tall and I do find the pedal distance on the compact Kawai CL35 I bought for my granddaughter to be an issue, as I have to sit further from the piano than normal, which causes me to have to reach for the keys, I can't recall what the measurement was on that piano. However, I just measured the "keys to pedal distance" on my CN33 and it is 7" which is more acceptable when I play. I notice on my CN33 that the cabinet box housing the pedal mechanism appears to be very deep compared with other DP marques, I'm sure there is some room to make that box shallower and hence give a more realistic "acoustic piano distance", a production design problem perhaps?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
@bluebilly,

Yes, as all of us taller players can have some trouble adjusting to the pedals if they are not placed far enough back. The 7 inches that you mention would probably be barely acceptable, as I have placed my Roland V-Piano triple pedal unit at 10.5 inches, as anything over 8 inches is certainly much better.

According to some other acoustic piano owners in the "Piano Forum" it appears that the standard pedal distance ends up being somewhere between 8 and 10 inches on the average, with 8 inches being the minimum distance that is going to be relatively comfortable for taller players.

Look at Van Cliburn (for example), who is all of 6' 4'' and one has to wonder as to how he managed to handle the grands he has played (mainly Steinway "D's"), although you do get the deeper pedal depth with larger grands.

Imagine watching Van Cliburn attempt to play a CA95 with the meager 5.5 inch pedal distance?

His knees would invariably be knocking into the cabinet underneath, I do believe... eek

Bluebilly is 6 -4 and handles 7 inches.... ( no smut intended) so I have hopes you'll adapt in time mate.... I'm off to have another session now... just out of interest, I play with no shoes on and maybe if you wear shoes you should try it... plus it's on carpet so the pedal is nearer the floor than if on tiles or wood... I'd also suggest resting your heel on a book to raise it slightly... and bacon, eggs and coffee... well that's how I'm starting anyway :-)

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
This thread has prompted me to measure the distance on my V-Piano (- which I adjusted immediately after I´d bought and then assembled it on its stand to what I felt to be a comfortable distance for me, without comparing directly with that on an acoustic piano). It is 10.4 in. I´m short compared to many of you here, at 5 ft 8in.

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by xhappyrabbitx
Bluebilly is 6 -4 and handles 7 inches.... ( no smut intended) so I have hopes you'll adapt in time mate.... I'm off to have another session now... just out of interest, I play with no shoes on and maybe if you wear shoes you should try it... plus it's on carpet so the pedal is nearer the floor than if on tiles or wood... I'd also suggest resting your heel on a book to raise it slightly... and bacon, eggs and coffee... well that's how I'm starting anyway :-)

I've had my CN33 over two years now and I'm in "Change my piano" mood, that pedal distance will be something I will be checking on any DP, or Hybrid even, I will be auditioning.

I guess it's really horses for courses... pv88 and I basically are the same height and after playing/practicing today for 3 hours it really is a non issue for me... I don't wear shoes and play the pedal with the ball of my foot with toes about half an inch from cabinet.. comfy for me. My other dp has 9.5 gap but either in fine.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Update:

Have now made it known to Kawai directly that I was not particularly happy finding the pedal depth on the CA95 to be a mere 6 inches, when other grand pianos have a standard distance of around 10.5 inches, or so.

Also, just did receive a reply back from Tom Love, of Kawai:

"We're currently researching your claims with our R&D department and one of the top Kawai piano technicians in the world. We'll get back to you when we have some concrete information."

Kawai should definitely consider correcting this feature since Sean O'Shea's (of Kawai) description does not match up with acoustic piano standards when he says:

"... their cosmetic design is the most piano-like, ever ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mQMDmckTMU

Starts at the 36 second mark in the video.

Will have to wait and see if they will decide to do anything about it with newer models in the future.

I have set my Roland V-Piano's triple pedal unit at the proper distance, or, 10.5 inches.

I see your point, pv.

I sit just fine at 19", so even the short depth of the pedals isn't a problem. But if you're at 20" or 21", you'd have a real problem.
Originally Posted by pv88
@MacMacMac,
I have to sit relatively high, at 20 - 21 inches, to keep the arms / hands fairly level with the keyboard, and, it is difficult to find the right position with the foot / heel / legs when sitting at the CA95, without contorting something else.

This forces you to sit further back (to reach for the keys) as I tend to like to sit in closer, but then the pedals are no longer at the proper angle for your leg and foot.

It's a shame that Kawai couldn't fashion an acoustic-like distance with the pedals.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I see your point, pv.

I sit just fine at 19", so even the short depth of the pedals isn't a problem. But if you're at 20" or 21", you'd have a real problem.

@MacMacMac,

I sit only an inch higher than you do (at 20 inches) since I need to have arms / hands that are more or less level with the keyboard, so how does that affect the pedal depth situation?

I can play perfectly well at a bench height of 20 inches at my V-Piano, and, I have the pedals set back at 10 inches.

My concern is that the 6 inch depth isn't sufficient for how I need to place my foot with the angle of the ankle.

Do you see what I am saying?

Yes, exactly.

I sit an inch or more lower than you, and my pedal is set back nearly 2" more. So I can sit with my legs extended, helped by the lower bench and deeper pedal.

You're forced to bend your knees more, both because of the higher bench and shallower pedal depth. And it's not working well. Is that right?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I sit an inch or more lower than you, and my pedal is set back nearly 2" more. So I can sit with my legs extended, helped by the lower bench and deeper pedal.

So, you sit with the pedal set back at 12 inches?

I think that 8" to 10" is generally okay as I had a Wurlitzer spinet with a 9" depth, which is right in the middle of those two. Also, at the current 6 inch depth (on the CA95) I find myself having to sit slightly left of center (at middle C) instead of between E and F, so the heel of the foot has to be placed slightly to the left of the sustain pedal, with the knee flexed outwards. This compensation is not my normal sitting position.

And, many grands have a distance of 10.5"...

It is agreed that further back is better.

So, 5.5" is not really sufficient.

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by bennevis
This thread has prompted me to measure the distance on my V-Piano (- which I adjusted immediately after I´d bought and then assembled it on its stand to what I felt to be a comfortable distance for me, without comparing directly with that on an acoustic piano). It is 10.4 in. I´m short compared to many of you here, at 5 ft 8in.

@bennevis,

Your 10.4" placement sounds just about perfect with the V-Piano's pedals, as I have already done the same.

The 5.5" depth on the Kawai CA95 doesn't quite "cut the mustard" as that distance needs to be doubled!

A
A
This thread is becoming obsessive. I was looking forward to trying out the CA95 in the next few weeks after reading many good reports and after much research. Now I'm a bit apprehensive, I'm only 5' 11" but I do have rather big feet (not as big as Coco the Clown but enough to span a small crevasse). Can any CA95 owner reassure me or otherwise about these pedals before I start looking at other models in that price range - please.

Pv88 has an issue, granted... i've already stated I am 6 foot and have no issue with the depth whatsoever.... I've played/practiced for 2-3 hours a time with no issues for me. Loving it more and more and spending every night on it... you'll see from reading the thread that pv88 has an issue.... perfectly acceptable but I dont think any other ca95 owners find it a problem.... im going to focus more on playing than these reviews now as I am very happy with mine... if in doubt, try for yourselves.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
This thread makes me happy to be short. This and airplane seats.

Basketball, not so much. smile

Last edited by gvfarns; 10/02/12 07:54 PM.
J
J
I am so very happy with my CA 95, I haven't touched my acoustic grand since I got it. I have no problem with the pedals but I'm not very tall at all.
I wouldn't trade it for the world....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission