2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 271 of 341 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 340 341
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Well I hope you played ATTYA. Your head and your solo are awesome.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I've been really tied up with other things and haven't been here much. Besides, everyone hates jazz anyway.

But anyway, with the little practice I get, I've been playing a lot of free jazz lately just like Scott. I really like playing free and as Kenny Werner says, there's no wrong note. And he's right, when playing free, it's hard to come up with a wrong note if you develop an idea around any place you go. It's just coincidentel that Scott did it while I was exploring that. I just found that it really trains my ears to look for melodies if I'm not bound by a progression.

Haven't made a recording because I don't know if anyone would be interested but it's become a part of my practice routine now to do a little bit of to start with.

Anyway, just my short idea for the week. As you were. Resume hating jazz or liking jazz as you prefer. As long as I'm getting paid to play jazz, I really have nothing to complain about smile

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey guys (and gals),

I thought I'd share our first tune that we played last Saturday in a local supermarket. That was a great gig. My bass player friend finally had to cancel but immediately found a back up for me who ended up being really great.
Overall a nice gig, and I even had my camera with me.

[video:youtube]v=iHH-O30hc0M[/video]

I've been really lucky to meet lots of great musicians lately, and that's lots of fun. Last Thursday we played a group that really blew my mind. And we're going to do it again 2 weeks from now. I intend on properly recording that one. The intent is to actually get someone to come and properly record "live". If that doesn't happen, I'll record with the zoom. That group felt really great. I had no idea who I was going to play with.

Anyway, I also would like to invite you to "Like" my facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/JazzNocturne

Hope all is well in Sweden, Australia, California, England, Scotland, Chicago, etc...

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hello Knots. Everyone's been distracted and quiet. That was some enjoyable video! First, your frenchie beret and even your body movements make me think I'm looking at Dave Frank. LOL. You do look like you're enjoying yourself. That was a great performance and very tasteful solo on your part. Just swinging and right in the pocket so kudos in a big way!

I've been distracted by life and for the first time, my practice hours have been cut down. However, the gigs are booked to the hilt so that's where my practice has been occurring. I will post some music from last night's gig a little later today.

I've had so many recordings of gigs the last few weeks and I haven't even listened to them...

Last edited by jazzwee; 09/28/12 01:33 PM.

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey JW,

Thanks for the kind comment. Yes, I think I stole a thing or 2 from Dave :-)
My wife keeps telling me that I look blind when I play. Isn't that funny?

Anyway, since I started wearing that hat (Monk and Dizzy used to wear a similar one, Kenny Werner more recently), people automatically assume I can play.

I'm glad things are happening for you too, it's well deserved.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well Chris and I will have something to say about your attire -- where's the prerequisite black? LOL.

Admitedly though, the body movement with that beret does give the impression that you're some long time pro! (at least on the East coast).

Probably won't work for me here...Haha.

Now my gig last night is different because it's a more quiet venue (coffee shop/restaurant). Quiet and smaller crowd so it was more like a real concert. I had a quartet (Guitar) but our volume and style was more like a trio. Very low volume. This was a new thing for me to be in the forefront and it's only the 2nd time I've done it. I like the guitar guy because he likes playing 'heads' and I haven't had practice time to clean those up. I'm just editing the recordings now.

My Jazz Blog

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Hi Knotty
That was so fun, you guys all clicked really well. I recognised the sax guy from your concert at the IMF.
I can't believe you kept form even though there were so many distracting people around you hehe.
I honestly do like your image. Where do you get your shirts from ?
The only suggestion I would make is that for your next recording, I would place the mics closer to you and the bassist.
WFM rules for having such a cool retail format and for inviting you guys.

Hi JW
Sounds like you are having fun experimenting with different combos and styles.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Here are some of the recordings from Thursday night. Again, a more intimate venue and people listened more. This was promoted as a trio but I'm always joined by a "quiet" guitar player. All the heads are a bit rusty for the guitar player and myself. That's the problem with having horn players all the time. They always take over the head.

Days of Wine and Roses
https://www.box.com/s/9ewg8e0ct4brgcw79gy9

Night in Tunisia
https://www.box.com/s/d151u6b6ji4ikbmt59a5

Summertime
https://www.box.com/s/ynr7rzdlq2upw766tnol

Mr PC
https://www.box.com/s/9w4mfi5e4w0u8mndeoyl

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
this group sounds good JW, Sounds perfect for the venue.

Cus, thanks for your comments.

You're right about the mic. I guess the $200 still camera did not come with a $2000 mic like I thought it did wink
Next time, I'm bringing the zoom!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nice Knotty. Tasteful solo. Fun to hear a Rhodes sound (and yes turn up the volume) and the band sounds great!
+1 with the cap, whenever I wear it I get more looks from the other camp (yhan usual) and people do assume that I can groove my way through a tune. I guess I picked up a trick or two at the Aebersold camp!
wink
Nice to hear Days of W and R, its a great tune and you both play it at nice tempo. I'm surprised however that neither of you do the Wayne Shorter variation (up a minor third the second chorus) and that you both walk from bar 1 in the head. I prefer to break it up ala Autumn Leaves.

Oh yes, black. But Hawaiian shirts can also work.

ps: love that people actually got up and danced. Even if it's just a couple its something that I dig.

And what I do miss is intros (I love intros).

Last edited by chrisbell; 09/29/12 03:06 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I have never played D of W & R in a group before. The reason is that it's not in the new Real Books. So it just keeps getting forgotten. In fact I haven't played it at home in at least 5-6 years and I couldn't remember the head. But I thought it turned out OK for a first try.

I was never even aware of a Wayne Shorter variation, but then again, considering we don't even have changes, we had to go with what is available (iRealB).

Night in Tunisia was a first try too. I just learned that head.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Talking about intros, we started the gig with a very long casual vamp. First it was just the bass. Then drums. Then I comped a little. We alter the rhythm a lot. All in 'Am'. Then we turn it into Summertime.

Really cool because it starts off like we're just tuning instruments. We did this a couple of times before. We don't rehearse so we don't really have any way to have a more complex pre-planned intro on anything. But lots of these evolving vamps are really good for the modal tunes (So What, Footprints,...).

I have a really cool bassist that just does everything by interaction. We just look at each other and weird things happen. I often have no idea in advance what tempo a tune will end up in.

The audience really loves it when we experiment like that.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Tunes I've been working on:

Joy Spring: I took on this Clifford Brown classic as a challenge. A great be bop tune. The head is hard and has taken a while to get up to speed. I find working on a difficult head the most fun way to work on technique. Once you learn the head, the tune is all II-V-Is an no big deal to blow on.

Jeanine: This Duke Pearson tune is also challenging because it has to be played well over 200 or it falls flat. My bass player likes tunes that are really up tempo. I really like the chord structure because it starts modally with 8 bars of Ab minor, and then goes into II-Vs.

Sonnymoon for Two: A very simple Sonny Rollins blues head. I learned the melody in about 10 minutes by listening to recordings. I picked this up at the fun web site learnjazzstandards.com. It's good to have a bunch of blues heads ready to go when you just want to play blues.

Celia: This is my new project. I'd like get deeper into Bud Powell, so I've picked out this great tune he wrote. It'll be several weeks before I can play this with a group.

As you can see, I enjoy learning a challenging head. I'm pretty lazy on practicing technique, but I enjoy working on a tune.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I play Jeanine. My guitar players love that so they play the head.

Joy Spring -- I've been blowing on that so I'm comfortable with the tune. Just need to memorize the head. I can probably play it by ear. Really nice bebop tune.

My Jazz Blog

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The head on Jeanine is much easier if you play single notes, but at least on piano, you've got to play at least thirds if not triads for the opening 8 measures.
The head on Joy Spring is about the best grace note/trill practice you can find!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
Nice Knotty. Tasteful solo. Fun to hear a Rhodes sound (and yes turn up the volume) and the band sounds great!
+1 with the cap, whenever I wear it I get more looks from the other camp (yhan usual) and people do assume that I can groove my way through a tune. I guess I picked up a trick or two at the Aebersold camp!
wink
Nice to hear Days of W and R, its a great tune and you both play it at nice tempo. I'm surprised however that neither of you do the Wayne Shorter variation (up a minor third the second chorus) and that you both walk from bar 1 in the head. I prefer to break it up ala Autumn Leaves.

Oh yes, black. But Hawaiian shirts can also work.

ps: love that people actually got up and danced. Even if it's just a couple its something that I dig.

And what I do miss is intros (I love intros).

Hey Chris,
thanks for the feedback. I find the rhodes easier to play on digital than piano, especially in large rooms like that. Smaller rooms seem easier. But generally I prefer the control on EP.
It seems like I could have turned up, and I probably did after a tune or 2. It's hard to tell from where I sit.
funny you mention the 3rd up. I was just checking out a post TromboneAl posted on D of W&R and that's what happens. I got to check that out.

You're right about intros, we need more !!

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by jjo
The head on Jeanine is much easier if you play single notes, but at least on piano, you've got to play at least thirds if not triads for the opening 8 measures.
The head on Joy Spring is about the best grace note/trill practice you can find!

Hey jjo
I think you specialize in finding difficult heads to play !
When I read your post, I thought "Don't know Jeannine. Must learn what the head sounds like" then I had to shoot out the door for a jazz concert.
Guess what ? The first song the Andrew Speight quintet play is Jeannine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRbTKqr98Y

I'd also like to take the liberty of attaching the crowd favorite: But Beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZjOb0qVAcA

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I pick some difficult heads to learn out of laziness! I'm not fond of technical practice, but I like to learn heads, so learning a tricky head is the only way I get trick myself to spend enough time on technique.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hey Jjo,

For a good rhythmic challenge, try lennie's pennies. Been banging my head on it for 3 weeks smile
I told myself I would learn the intro to Joy Spring but never got around to it!

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
knotty: which Joy Spring intro? If you mean the one in the original Cliff Brown recording, I, too, have yet to learn it.

I shall look up Lennie's Pennies!

Page 271 of 341 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission