2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 33 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 32 33
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Carlos Almeida
New promotional video to the new range of Privia digital pianos by Casio Australia smile

is this a demo of the string sounds????

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
It's an old demo that has been posted several times: it's an excellent demo showing how much marketing people don't understand the customers they make the products for. A long sideshow of some people behind new instruments, without ever giving an impression how the pianos will sound. Completely useless for people looking for the right DP to buy, like you and I. Probably a business presentations for their stock holders.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anotherscott
The more common usage, as in MP3 and JPEG, is that data is removed by an algorithm that attempts to automatically determines the "least noticeable" bits of data, so that something perceptibly close to the original (we hope) is generated from the smaller file when subsequently decompressed.

Yes, details that are imperceptible (at a given resolution and if not further processed / edited in an extreme way) to the eye / ear are removed during compression phase.

To use MP3 or similar to compress the sample set means the DP needs to decompress lots of samples either on the fly or to RAM. With slower hardware this could make changing from one voice to another a fairly sluggish experience. Given proper hardware it could certainly be done, but from what we've seen re DP technology I have doubts that anyone is actually doing it.

Mike Martin just said over on another thread that the new Casios still have 4 velocity layers. I suppose only time (and testing) will tell if they are stretched / looped. My wife has a student who needs a low-end model ASAP and it would really help if manufacturers were more forthcoming with this kind of info. Every slightly new model has a slew of brand new technical sounding yet cryptic claims associated with it that must be laboriously decoded by the lay public. Which doesn't make for a very pleasant shopping experience IMO.

Originally Posted by dewster
Mike Martin just said over on another thread that the new Casios still have 4 velocity layers. I suppose only time (and testing) will tell if they are stretched / looped.

Yes samples are looped. Yes there is some stretching. In general you'll find the samples in the new PX-_50 series are about 3 times longer than in previous products. There are also more samples across the 88 note range.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Yes samples are looped. Yes there is some stretching.

Uh oh...someone in Northern NJ isn't going to be terribly happy...

[Linked Image]

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Yes samples are looped. Yes there is some stretching. In general you'll find the samples in the new PX-_50 series are about 3 times longer than in previous products. There are also more samples across the 88 note range.

Wow, thank you very much for that info Mike!

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Uh oh...someone in Northern NJ isn't going to be terribly happy...

Ha ha! Such a kidder...

Given the 3x larger sample info (revealed earlier) I was expecting stretching & looping, but the compression conundrum threw me for a loop, so to speak.

Originally Posted by dewster

Wow, thank you very much for that info Mike!

Given the 3x larger sample info (revealed earlier) I was expecting stretching & looping, but the compression conundrum threw me for a loop, so to speak.

You're welcome. There is nothing to hide and you're going to find out sooner or later anyway. wink Compared to our competition this is the area where I think you'll find some significant differences.

I'm not about to get into a discussion on the compression issue. The bottom line is the audio quality of the new Privia is substantially better.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
So refreshing that a manufacturer's representative can come out and just tell us some basic technical information with no fuss and drama. Thank you, Mike. Since all DPs have compromises built-in, it helps those of us who are considering a purchase weigh up the pros and cons of each model more accurately.

Last edited by voxpops; 09/25/12 12:19 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
B
B
Mike, whats the word? Why is the PX-150 still listed as Pre-order or not at all on most websites? I've checked Sweetwater and Musicians friend. Kraft music has them..but only on pre-order.

NVM, ITS HERE!!

Last edited by BrokenChord; 09/25/12 12:17 PM.
Sweetwater and Kraft Music both have them in stock

wink

Last edited by Mike_Martin; 09/25/12 12:18 PM.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
There is nothing to hide and you're going to find out sooner or later anyway. wink Compared to our competition this is the area where I think you'll find some significant differences.

I'm very much looking forward to reviewing them!

While we're on the subject I thought I'd put this out there, no pressure, but to the best of my knowledge no manufacturer has directly supplied a DPBSD MP3. If your or someone at Casio could do so that would be great. Like all DPBSD submitters, I'd work with you guys in the background and wouldn't post the review until we were all satisfied with it. If you can't I completely understand.

B
B
Kraft was not listing them as In Stock this morning

M
M
Sam Ash and J&R have them listed as in stock. There are none in Guitar Center showrooms anywhere on the West Coast. I'm waiting for one to show up in PDX.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Who's gonna be the first PX-330 user to post a PX-350 impression?

B
B
Im going for the PX-150 since it seems to just be a PX-350 without the 17 track recorder

BrokenChord,
The PX-350 has several things the PX-150 does not. Here is a quick list...

232 additional tones
180 rhythms with full accompaniment
The ability to split/layer tones and store registrations for live performance
Adjustable split point
1/4" outputs
1/4" Inputs
MIDI I/O
Stereo .Wav Audio File Recording to a USB thumb drive
SMF Player
LCD Display
and yes, a 17 track recorder.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
BrokenChord,
The PX-350 has several things the PX-150 does not. Here is a quick list...

232 additional tones
180 rhythms with full accompaniment
The ability to split/layer tones and store registrations for live performance
Adjustable split point
1/4" outputs
1/4" Inputs
MIDI I/O
Stereo .Wav Audio File Recording to a USB thumb drive
SMF Player
LCD Display
and yes, a 17 track recorder.

Would you be able to tell us how the speakers are different and also how this generation's speakers are different than the 2009 (x30) models?

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
M
M
Guitar Center in Chicago said they have 26 in the distribution channel, but that the earliest they'd have one in a store is around two weeks from now. Aaarggh!!!! Still trying to figure out the choice between a px-350 and a used MO8.

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by Marvin Eight
Still trying to figure out the choice between a px-350 and a used MO8.

The MO8 is almost twice as heavy (46.3 lbs) and significantly deeper (15.3") and has BHE not GHS/GH. I looked at a MOX8 before getting my 330 -- MOX8 is awesome, but it's a mountain of wizardry! Depends on what you want. I just wanted a 3-pedal setup with okay piano sound/key feel, and a GM patch set for kicks. I suspect the MO8 doesn't excel at realistic acoustic piano sound -- it's a synth not a digital piano.

B
B
Those sound like nice features, but not anything I need. Im just a college kid, so I can't justify spending $200 extra on those features. As long as I can plug in my headphones and practice, I'm good.

I have a question though. I purchased a CS-67 from Amazon yesterday since they listed it as compatible with the PX-150 and PX-350...but what about the SP-32 pedal? Kraft Music is bundling the keyboards with a CS-67 and an SP-33. I have not been able to find the SP-33, is it not released?

Thanks

Page 18 of 33 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission