2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,235 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Hi all

I'm a complete beginner and am thinking about taking up the piano.

What I'm looking for is:
- something that has a degree of portability about it - thinking at this stage of a stage piano type thing (but am a bit concerned as to whether the stands are sufficiently stable as have two 2 year old twins who are very curious)
- something that will have some longevity - so that in a year's/ 2 years time I'm not going regret not getting something better
- has keys that are close to an acoustic so that my kids can use it should they want to do graded music
- price mark up to around £2000, but will require more persuasion of my wife as this number goes over £1000 and will take longer before purchase.
- Whilst I realise that to learn i would probably do better just having the piano without all the other bits, I can't help looking at the other stuff too...

I've had a look at a couple of pianos, but the problem is being a complete beginner its really difficult to have much appreciation as to whether the action is going to be something I like of not. Nevertheless to give you an idea of what I've looked at:
- the Yamaha Clavinovas - really appealing but i fear the portability option will preclude it
- the Yamaha dgx640 - seems like a nice choice, but seems a bit ugly, and the speakers don't look that good so will need to add something
- the Kawai MP6 (and the MP10) - both seem to have great reviews, MP10 seems to be stretching the concept of portability, but the Mp6 is very appealing
- the Roland Rd700Nx - again seems to get fab reviews
- The new Kawai ES7 - possibly the front runner at the moment

Anyway, if you can suggest that something that i have missed or alternatively think i am missing something important in my considerations please let me know.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help

Last edited by Blunderer; 09/23/12 04:42 PM.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
To be honest, you are probably as on top of this as you are going to get, given you are a beginner. Those are all good pianos, you just have to go with your gut with one of them. None of them is exactly like an acoustic action, but none of them are too far away from it either. You could safely proceed with any one of them and be decently prepared to progress to an acoustic later on without too much trouble. The one you like the most is the best choice.

Best of luck.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
I have an RD700NX, and I like it a lot as a digital piano. It's not very portable though, between 70+ pounds for the RD itself plus the heavy-duty stand you'd need.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
T
T
You don't need a heavy-duty stand for the RD, I've got mine on a cheap X stand. A Z stand would definitely be better though, X stands are very unstable when you put something as heavy as the RD on them. It still doesn't need to be heavy or expensive, just more stable.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
If you are looking at the RD you might also take a glance at its cheaper brother, the FP-7F. Same action, some of the same sounds, and it weighs...well, a few pounds less.

On the Yamaha side you point out the clavinovas and the DGX, but neither of those are particularly good choices for you. Take a look at the P155, CP33, CP50, CP5, and CP1, depending on how much you want to spend. The first three all have the same action. I think the P155 is a particularly good choice for a beginner, and I think it has a lot of staying power besides a great price.

In Kawai don't overlook the EP3 on the cheaper side. More or less comparable to the P155. No need to blow the budget completely away if you don't need to.

By the way, lots of digital pianos come with cheap stage stands, but if you want more stability, it's not very expensive or difficult to get a higher end and much more stable stand. I use the heavy duty On-Stage Z stand and it is incredibly solid. Doesn't budge for anything. There are also four-legged stands that people around here like a lot.

Last edited by gvfarns; 09/23/12 03:56 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have the RD-700NX with the KS-G8 stand and I am very pleased with the combo.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by torhu
You don't need a heavy-duty stand for the RD, I've got mine on a cheap X stand. A Z stand would definitely be better though, X stands are very unstable when you put something as heavy as the RD on them. It still doesn't need to be heavy or expensive, just more stable.

Given the OP's curious 2-year olds, I would imagine the OP is looking for a stable stand.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
In Kawai don't overlook the EP3 on the cheaper side.

Good call, however this model is only available in the US. Quoting his/her budget in pounds, I get the impression that Blunderer is based in the UK.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for you all your comments - i find it quite intimidating walking into music shops as a complete newbie, so I'm trying to suck up as much info as possible.

Will look into the other suggested Yamaha models (thanks GVFarns), seems I also need to spend some more time with the Roland Rd700

Will also need to look at the "z-stand", as Clssclib notes I need a stand which will be quite robust - otherwise I'm likely to get either a damaged piano or damaged twin!

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by gvfarns
In Kawai don't overlook the EP3 on the cheaper side.

Good call, however this model is only available in the US. Quoting his/her budget in pounds, I get the impression that Blunderer is based in the UK.

Dang, I've made that mistake several times now. Sorry about that. Silly farns.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission