Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (5penguins, barbaram, Animisha, Ankee, bippysan, Arty Movie, Avalanch, ando, AndrewJCW, 16 invisible), 1,253 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: On digressions [Re: Rostosky] #1962706
09/22/12 06:03 PM
09/22/12 06:03 PM
Land of the never-ending music
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

No... smile , but there are also boards where you have to write more than 3 or 5 words, I don't remember, otherwise you can't post! I remember that an ocarina board I had joined is like that. I had thanked somebody and when I tried to post it said I had to write more words... ha

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: On digressions [Re: Mark_C] #1962708
09/22/12 06:08 PM
09/22/12 06:08 PM
Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rostosky  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I love ocarinas, I had one shaped like a tortoise with a head and legs, digressing for one sentence, I called it "nicodemus"

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
Re: On digressions [Re: ChopinAddict] #1962710
09/22/12 06:09 PM
09/22/12 06:09 PM
Michigan, USA
O
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member
Old Man  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I think that with "rate" he means "posts per day".
(There are boards where if you click on a profile you can indeed see the average number of posts per day of that person.)

Well, ChopinAddict, I was kinda hoping no one would notice that. By any reasonable standard, Mark is, shall we say, prolific? Then again, maybe Plover merely lurked for the first 8 years??? laugh

Re: On digressions [Re: Old Man] #1962711
09/22/12 06:12 PM
09/22/12 06:12 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Old Man
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I also think one should consider that Mark has by far the highest posting rate of anyone at PW. Does that mean his need to post should be considered the norm?.

Hmmm. I just refreshed my screen, and the latest score I have is:

Mark C 15,850
pianoloverus 15,645

I think if you and Mark were running for mayor of New York, you would have a pretty strong case for demanding a recount.
I have been a member for more than 12 years and Mark has been a member for slightly less than three. His posting rate is at least four times my posting rate.

Re: On digressions [Re: Old Man] #1962713
09/22/12 06:13 PM
09/22/12 06:13 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
(There are boards where if you click on a profile you can indeed see the average number of posts per day of that person.)

Well, ChopinAddict, I was kinda hoping no one would notice that. By any reasonable standard, Mark is, shall we say, prolific? Then again, maybe Plover merely lurked for the first 8 years???
I didn't.
If you really knew what rate means, why would you even try and compare our posting rates? A rate of four times someone else for just about any activity is very extreme if you think about it.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/22/12 06:39 PM.
Re: On digressions [Re: Mark_C] #1962714
09/22/12 06:15 PM
09/22/12 06:15 PM
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rostosky  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Cue digression into qwerty scales practice.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

Re: On digressions [Re: Rostosky] #1962722
09/22/12 06:26 PM
09/22/12 06:26 PM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I'd love to have one shaped like a tortoise! heart

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: On digressions [Re: Mark_C] #1962725
09/22/12 06:30 PM
09/22/12 06:30 PM
Philadelphia, PA
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
jdw  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J

Philadelphia, PA
Do you realize that this is a thread that can't possibly go off topic? If we talk about digressions we're on it, and if we digress....

1989 Baldwin R
Currently working on:​
Schubert, Op. 90 no. 2
Sinding, Frühlingsrauschen (Rustle of Spring)
Beethoven, Sonata no. 14 in C# minor (Moonlight)
Re: On digressions [Re: Mark_C] #1962728
09/22/12 06:35 PM
09/22/12 06:35 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Mark_C
I won't reply to most of what you said, but I'll just point out that you mistook what she meant by the apology, as has been noted here. You're taking it and running with it for your own purposes, in a mistaken way.
"Pointing out" something, just like using italics, doesn't mean what you say is correct:
Lady Chen said:
"Ok, sorry, I'm done hijacking this thread."
and later:

"Well I was thinking it was just about to turn into a more serious hijack, and by acknowledging it, we could avoid it.
I'm usually quite happy to avoid the hijack by taking it to a PM but some people (ahem) don't accept PM's."

Originally Posted by Mark_C
I hope you are not failing to grasp the basic answer here: People are largely (and actually it seems uniformly) in favor of allowing the kinds of digressions you dislike, and many if not most even seem to feel it's good to encourage a feeling of freedom to engage in them. What are you trying to do here? Convince us that our view is wrong, and that the site should follow your standard about it? That's not going to happen.
I'm not failing to grasp anything, and you certainly don't "hope" I am. The posts have not uniformly said what you say and even if they did, there have been basically a handful of people involved in the discussion.

I've specifically said at least two or three times and from the beginning that I don't think in the slightest the site shouldn't follow any rules or have any rules about this. Why do you even mention this? I felt strongly about what I said and still feel exactly the same.

Of course, I do hope to convince other people or at least have them think about what I've said, and that is very often the whole point of discussions. It's why you started a new thread on the topic instead of dropping it. If people were only talking to the person addressed or quoted in their post, they would just use PM or email.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/22/12 06:43 PM.
Re: On digressions [Re: Mark_C] #1962731
09/22/12 06:39 PM
09/22/12 06:39 PM
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rostosky  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chopinaddict, the one I had was made in the UK (where I am) but a quick google brought these fellows up, (scroll down for turtle) the frog one is wonderful)
http://forbiddenislandflutes.com/ocarinas

In case anyone complains I just digressed from tortoises to frogs, so technically am still on topic....

should anyone be in need of ideas for a topic:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rostosky; 09/22/12 06:41 PM.

Re: On digressions [Re: pianoloverus] #1962736
09/22/12 06:43 PM
09/22/12 06:43 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline OP
Mark_C  Offline OP

New York
....His posting rate is at least four times my posting rate.

So?

Probably the most interesting thing about it is that you pay so much attention to it.

....Of course, I do hope to convince other people....

Good luck.

....or at least have them think about what I've said....

They didn't need to very much. They knew readily that they felt otherwise, and they still do.

....It's why you started a new thread on the topic instead of dropping it....

You're cherry picking the list of choices. The main one would have been to continue with it on the other thread -- and even I didn't feel that would have been good.

Anyway.....perhaps the good news is that this thread might soon be closed because of Rostosky's pictures. The mods seem not to be fond of those kind of things.

It's been a good discussion of a topic that I think is worthy, and it's been perhaps useful to see what people think.

Re: On digressions [Re: Mark_C] #1962738
09/22/12 06:49 PM
09/22/12 06:49 PM
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rostosky  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You digress mark, Its "rostoskys' picture" singular designed to bring the thread back to niceness through humour.

If the mods would rather the argumentative former nature of the thread to this, then I am surpised, and I dont often get surprised these days.

Re: On digressions [Re: Rostosky] #1962741
09/22/12 06:54 PM
09/22/12 06:54 PM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
ChopinAddict  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks, they look very pretty, in particular the tortoise one. It's so sweet! I will definitely buy myself one one day! 3hearts

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: On digressions [Re: pianoloverus] #1962754
09/22/12 07:06 PM
09/22/12 07:06 PM
Michigan, USA
O
Old Man Offline
500 Post Club Member
Old Man  Offline
500 Post Club Member
O

Michigan, USA
I didn't.
If you really knew what rate means, why would you even try and compare our posting rates? A rate of four times someone else for just about any activity is very extreme if you think about it.

I think it was evident from my response to ChopinAddict that I do know what rate means. Yes, you joined in 2001 and Mark in 2009, so I "get it". The score card was my obviously feeble attempt to inject some levity into the "discussion".

But I also noticed that you excised the smiley from that same post to ChopinAddict, so I think Mark is right: Fun is not what you're about. So I will leave Cotton Mather alone to think his own thoughts.

Re: On digressions [Re: Old Man] #1962770
09/22/12 07:32 PM
09/22/12 07:32 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
But I also noticed that you excised the smiley from that same post to ChopinAddict, so I think Mark is right: Fun is not what you're about.
You clearly haven't read many of my posts, perhaps because you're a new member, if that's what you think.

I don't need to add smileys to my posts because when they're meant to be humorous or tongue in cheek it's usually obvious. I only use a smiley if the member might not know me from other posts and could take my post the wrong way. Some posters use smiley's when they're being highly sarcastic, and I don't find that humorous. I do find smileys, in general and especially when used in large amounts by adults, rather childish, and one of PW's members(can't remember which one)does use them far more than any other PW poster.

Judging someone's personality based on the removal of a smiley is rather limited, I'd say. Perhaps about the same as whether they had 3 vs.4 strips of bacon for breakfast.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/22/12 07:47 PM.
Re: On digressions [Re: pianoloverus] #1962792
09/22/12 08:20 PM
09/22/12 08:20 PM
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rostosky  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Perhaps about the same as whether they had 3 vs.4 strips of bacon for breakfast.

That's a rather limited amount of breakfast bacon isn't it?
I know there is a recession on and all that, but you really have to look after yourself and eat properly....

OOps, my bad, note to self: "self, digression not digestion"

Last edited by Rostosky; 09/22/12 08:22 PM. Reason: Removed large quantity of smileys and some talk about having eggs and mushrooms as part of a balanced diet.

Re: On digressions [Re: Rostosky] #1962810
09/22/12 09:11 PM
09/22/12 09:11 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Perhaps about the same as whether they had 3 vs.4 strips of bacon for breakfast.

That's a rather limited amount of breakfast bacon isn't it?
I know there is a recession on and all that, but you really have to look after yourself and eat properly....

OOps, my bad, note to self: "self, digression not digestion"
Actually, when I do have bacon now I have exactly one slice. I don't know how I was suddenly able to control my previously piggish habits about many different foods, but all of a sudden I no longer feel the desire to have big servings of most foods.

Re: On digressions [Re: Old Man] #1962828
09/22/12 09:52 PM
09/22/12 09:52 PM
D
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D

Well, ChopinAddict, I was kinda hoping no one would notice that. By any reasonable standard, Mark is, shall we say, prolific? Then again, maybe Plover merely lurked for the first 8 years??? laugh

Actually Mark has slowed in recent times. If his posting rate remained at the same rate as his first 5 months here, he would have well over 30,000 posts. I think PL is probably more sensitive to the chattiness than the digression.

Last edited by Damon; 09/22/12 09:53 PM. Reason: I had two slices of bacon on my cheeseburger tonight.
Re: On digressions [Re: pianoloverus] #1962855
09/22/12 10:35 PM
09/22/12 10:35 PM
O
Otis S Offline
Otis S  Offline
O

Originally Posted by Otis S
Apparently it was more important to make your feelings known about this perceived slight than to ignore the digression and let the thread regain its bearing. And in the process, you re-hijacked your own thread.
I guess I'll have to keep closer watch on my threads so if I want to comment I can do so immediately after the offending post and then write ten on topic posts to steer the ship back.

If you had made a friendly comment in your thread trying to refocus the discussion on the topic of your original post instead of calling Mark_C, Lady Chen, and others on the carpet, you could have achieved your intention without causing a kerfuffle. You had some wise words in the Stores valedictory op. 81a thread:

I don't think nastiness, arrogance, contempt, etc. are ever necessary to make a point.

All of us should try to follow this.
Yes, but if one feels offended to a high enough degree, diplomacy is not always the first thing on one's mind. As I mentioned previously, I cannot recall a single thread I've started where I felt as strongly about being cut off. I also think one should consider that Mark has by far the highest posting rate of anyone at PW. Does that mean his need to post should be considered the norm?

Take it easy, PL. The posters in the previous thread were certainly not trying to deliberately offend you. You are overreacting in a distinctly negative way to the normal unpredictability of responses that occur on an Internet form of this nature. Furthermore, when you adopt an aggressive and combative tone with other posters, it does not make them inclined to view you favorably and also makes your posts less persuasive. I actually think that you have a lot to offer this forum, and you are second to none at starting interesting thread topics. Why tarnish your online persona with the negativity to others?

I think the stores situation is also quite different because he was well known for routinely posting in the way I described and without anything to provoke him(except that he thought someone's musical idea was incorrect).

It was certainly not my intention to see any additional criticism directed at Stores. I wish him well in his retirement from Piano World.

Re: On digressions [Re: Damon] #1962878
09/22/12 11:15 PM
09/22/12 11:15 PM
New York
Mark_C Offline OP
Mark_C  Offline OP

New York
Originally Posted by Damon
....Edit Reason: I had two slices of bacon on my cheeseburger tonight.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
To ice or not to ice...?
by Animisha. 10/14/19 06:39 AM
Edelweiss Sygnet G50
by Ronaldo777uk. 10/14/19 05:06 AM
The form of Monk's " Light Blue "
by Nahum. 10/14/19 05:00 AM
Insuring your piano
by Stitches. 10/13/19 07:14 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,511
Posts2,878,940
Members94,657
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission