2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Animisha, admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 4 invisible), 1,175 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Hi everyone.

I am going to buy a new edition for the Beethoven Sonatas, since my edition(Dover) is unreliable and is slowly starting to fall apart.. My question is basically, what edition do you consider the best when it comes to the Beethoven Sonatas? Which one do you use, and which one do you recommend me to buy?

A side note: This has not much to do with the first question. I read an interview with Andras Schiff, where he says that he considers Beethoven's Op 90 among the "last SIX sonatas". In other words, instead of considering it being Beethoven's last middle period sonata, he means that Op 90 belongs to the late sonatas. I have always had a hard time placing it.. Where would you place it?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
....In other words, instead of considering it being Beethoven's last middle period sonata, he means that Op 90 belongs to the late sonatas. I have always had a hard time placing it.. Where would you place it?

On the border. smile

And I would almost place Op. 78 on the border too. But 90 is 'further toward.'

Some questions just don't have clear answers, including even, "Is Beethoven Classical or Romantic?" Most people would say Classical, but a lot wouldn't, including those who would give the same answer I gave for what you asked about Op. 90: "On the border." IMO he's 'clearly' Classical, but when there's substantial opinion on the other side....it's not as clear as one thinks.

In the first volume of Rubinstein's autobiog he talks about a piano competition where a late Beethoven sonata was required, and he played Op. 90 because he didn't have one of the later ones in his repertoire. He indicated this was probably a disadvantage for him, presumably not just because it's simpler than the later sonatas but also because it's not clearly in that group.

About the 1st question: Anything that says Urtext. smile
(Maybe some people will talk about how some urtexts are more urtext than others, and maybe they're right.)

I have Henle and can't imagine that there is anything available with better binding or higher quality. For about $110 you can get both volumes and have all 32. I actually think that's a bargain.

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Second the motion on the Henle (ahem, from time to time, they do go on sale...). Beware of Barenreiter, can be full of errata...

J
J
I also support the Henle books, they are reliable and have the best bindings. I'd say the perfect bindings for music scores.
I also have a single Peters score, Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu. The way it is laid out is genius, you only have to turn the page once as it folds to show more of the score. It also comes with a nice preface. Though the Peters collections don't look as good binding wise as the Henle ones do and binding for me is very important, especially in music scores.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by slava_richter
I have Henle and can't imagine that there is anything available with better binding or higher quality. For about $110 you can get both volumes and have all 32. I actually think that's a bargain.

I presume "all 32" is referring to the Beethoven Sonatas?

I am a great fan of Henle editions. Some claim that their scholarship is not the latest and that they don't always cite every possible source for variants. I, however, am not so much of a scholar that the odd unexplained or undocumented erratum makes much difference.

In the final analysis, it's the "user-friendliness" of the score : binding - in respect both to its longevity and its ability to lie flat on the music desk - paper colour/quality, clarify of engraving, that means the most to me.

I have some well-used Henles - well-used in my careful handling of them - that are approaching the half-century mark and are still standing up extremely well.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by slava_richter

I presume "all 32" is referring to the Beethoven Sonatas?

In the final analysis, it's the "user-friendliness" of the score : binding - in respect both to its longevity and its ability to lie flat on the music desk - paper colour/quality, clarify of engraving, that means the most to me.

Yes, I was replying to the OP who was asking about the Beethoven sonatas. And I absolutely agree in terms of your 'final analysis', that's really what's most important to most people. In that regard, Henle is the best that I've seen.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
A side note: This has not much to do with the first question. I read an interview with Andras Schiff, where he says that he considers Beethoven's Op 90 among the "last SIX sonatas". In other words, instead of considering it being Beethoven's last middle period sonata, he means that Op 90 belongs to the late sonatas. I have always had a hard time placing it.. Where would you place it?

Well, I think there's no question that op.90 is among the last six sonatas. smile

I've never actually found "the last five sonatas" to be a useful grouping. But I do group the last three sonatas together, and I group op.101 and 106 together.

-J

B
BDB Offline
B
Op. 90 is not among the last six Beethoven sonatas, but it is among the last six Beethoven piano sonatas.

Semipro Tech
F
OP Offline
F
Haha well of course it's among his last six piano sonatas, as it is No 27 out of 32... :P

But what I meant is that Schiff considers Op 90 to be "late period" and not "middle period"..

Anyway, thank you all for your answers smile

Depends on how you define middle and late. People who see Op. 90 as late do so because it's the first sonata to be marked in German (a conscious decision on Beethoven's part.) In terms of style, the piece is also a bit more forward-looking. (The last movement sounds more like Schubert than anything that had come before, and it was also written around the time of Beethoven's only song cycle.)

But, Op. 90 was written before the debacle involving his nephew Karl. The custody battle over Karl was a significant event that profoundly affected Beethoven's psychology. If we see the Heiligenstadt Testament as the pivotal moment that marks the beginning of his 2nd period, then the death of his brother Carl and the ensuing custody battle provide a convenient demarcation point for his late period.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am buying the Cooper edition as a present to myself for Christmas. laugh

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
That's actually one that I have thought about too... You recommend it over Henle? smile

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Depends on how you define middle and late. People who see Op. 90 as late do so because it's the first sonata to be marked in German (a conscious decision on Beethoven's part.) In terms of style, the piece is also a bit more forward-looking. (The last movement sounds more like Schubert than anything that had come before, and it was also written around the time of Beethoven's only song cycle.)

But, Op. 90 was written before the debacle involving his nephew Karl. The custody battle over Karl was a significant event that profoundly affected Beethoven's psychology. If we see the Heiligenstadt Testament as the pivotal moment that marks the beginning of his 2nd period, then the death of his brother Carl and the ensuing custody battle provide a convenient demarcation point for his late period.
Thank you so much for the very interesting information! smile

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
That's actually one that I have thought about too... You recommend it over Henle? smile

A long time ago I talked about editions with stores in a PM, and he did say his first choice would be the Cooper edition, although he recognized that the Henle edition is good too.

This is a commentary about the Cooper edition (on the ABRSM website):

We are delighted to announce the publication of a new edition of the Beethoven Piano Sonatas, edited by Professor Barry Cooper, a renowned authority on Beethoven, widely known for completing the unfinished Tenth Symphony, and author of several books on the composer.

Barry Cooper has been working for ten years on the edition. His work represents the latest original research into the Piano Sonatas and he has tried to reproduce what Beethoven actually wrote - and what he meant to write - more accurately than has been done in any previous edition.

Notable among the features of the edition is that there are 35 sonatas while all other recent editions have 32. Cooper says: 'The three extra ones are normally omitted as they were very early works written when Beethoven was 12. I feel there is no reason to omit them as they are full scale works.

Key features of the edition:

faithful to the original notation, correcting long-standing errors found in other editions
presents new and important research
general Introduction covering performance practice, including tempo, articulation, pedalling and dynamics
commentary to each sonata, including history,full assessment of the sources and detailed notes on interpretation
introductory CD of commentary and demonstrations included in each volume

Created for today's performers, teachers and scholars, this is the most comprehensive study of these extraordinary works yet undertaken and sets a new standard for scholarly performing editions.

PS: This is my 5000th post! laugh

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The price of the 3 volumes is high, but at the end of the day it is like the fee for 1 1/2 hours with a good teacher, and you have it for eternity (or the closest to it laugh )...

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

J
J
Hmm, seems like I should look into the Cooper editions. However one of the main points for me is still user-friendliness.

The Cooper is very scholarly and pleasant to look at on the shelf (big, gold, white letters), but personally I would have trouble working from it for long periods of time. Not sure how well it stays open, but the engraving is very sharp-lined and computer-y looking, and the paper is a unnatural shade of yellow that I find a little off-putting. Henle is just what I'm used to, though, so other may not find the Cooper so odd. There's something about Henle's engraving that is just right: the angle of the noteheads, the shape of the slurs, the subtle cream-white paper... ah, fond reminisces =)

S
S
After 35 years using the Henle, I still rank it as the all-round best for textual accuracy, clear print, page-turns and wise fingering suggestions. I'm about to replace my original volumes, and possibly invest in the Wiener Urtext (Universal) Edition as well.

Before purchasing my first Henles, I used the Martienssen edition (from Peters) which is also pretty reliable if a second text is needed. (It's also published in miniature score size in two volumes, which has proven handy at times).

I still haven't encountered the Cooper, nor the Koenemann Edition (Budapest) which is a budget-price Urtext. The online info I've found on the web about the latter isn't adequate to evaluate it - any comments on it, anyone?

P.S.: If you've not checked your PMs recently, S., there should be one waiting for you!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

https://understanding-piano-technique.com/uptcom
B
B
The Henle editions are my favourites. I haven't seen the Beethoven Sonatas but I have some Albinez/ Debussey and Gershwin and they're great quality and really easy to read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission