2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 87 of 190 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 189 190
I'm just about to play the songs with first inversions - but I don't think I will like the hokey-pokey - does any one know another rtne where first inversions are used a lot?

I told my wife I wanted a grand piano she said - no way - £500 maximum.
B
B
well.. Night Song sounds a lot nicer and its almost all inversions. After playing Night Song the Hokey Pokey should be a lot easier, and you might as well give it a few plays just so you can "complete" the book. We all have our favorites and they get a lot more practice time than a song that like the Hokey Pokey. A lot of the songs seem to teach more than the lesson would suggest you get experience playing a new style of song, the timing involved and everything like that. I come across a few songs that I couldn't stand to play, if it bothers you a whole lot I would say just skip it. As long as your not skipping every other song, skipping the Hokey Pokey probably won't make or break your piano skill.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Night Song = First Inversions
Olympic Procession = Second Inversions
A Farewell to Thee = Triad + 1st inv. + 2nd inv.

Hokey Pokey isn't very inspiring, but it's actually sort of fun to play. Let your hair down and just hammer it away smile

[Linked Image]
I've actually been looking at the Hokey Pokey - and apart from getting the LH staccato and the RH working well its going OK. I think I'll like Night Song.

On another note - I have a digital piano and I'm thinking about recording a few bits. But I rerely play a piece to my satisfaction - any advice would be welcome.

I told my wife I wanted a grand piano she said - no way - £500 maximum.
B
B
Funny thing is.. I'm on battle hymn of the republic now, and it is supposed to be teaching dotted 8th notes... but those don't seem to be the problem in playing the song. The problem is in the right hand seems to just bang away nonstop chords while you are trying to play glory glory hallelujah with the left hand. This is a total disaster at the moment, it is almost comical.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I ordered Book 2 yesterday. It may be a bit premature, since I'm only up to "Scarborough Fair", and the next 4 pieces look really hard. But I've been in Book 1 for about 20 months now (yeah, I'm slow) and I'm getting excited about finishing up.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
For the life of me, I can't seem to grab a reasonable recording of Plaisir d'Amor.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
B
B
Well, I've jumped on into book 2 while working on my Holiday collection as well. The first two songs are quite a disappointment after the excitement of the ending pieces in book 1. But I realize why they are going back to very basic songs, its because they are teaching us something new, but I'm bored with them already, and my family is tired of hearing them already.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yeah, first few pieces in the book seem to take you back to the middle of Book 1. But the interest picks up quickly...

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
B
B
Hello All

My name is Bobby, and like most other newcomers I've been silently lurking around for a few months. I really enjoy reading the posts everyday.

I just had my biggest accomplishment of the year last night, I finished book 1! I was so happy when my teacher signed it. My homework is the first two songs in book 2, which are fairly easy.

I think my favorites from book 1 were "Greensleeves", "Scarborough Fair", "Entertainer", and "Amazing Grace". I've listened to some songs from book 2 and I can't wait to play them, especially "night Song".

I practice on a yamaha psr-e313. I also have a Lester piano that a friend gave to me for free. Unfortunately it's out of tune and the pedals don't work. I don't have the money to fix it yet, but soon.

Now that I've made that huge step of actually registering on this forum, I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts and hearing other's.

Bobby

Working on:
"Down in the Valley"
"Bridal Chorus"

B
B
Welcome Bobby, we're at about the same place, but I'm working on Guantanamera(sp) as well, that one is a little funner than the first 2. I also went through the book and once again have end of the book envy, can't wait to get to Cannon in D variation, that will be my Entertainer equivalent from book 1 (I didn't like Amazing Grace).

Last edited by BarbVA; 11/04/09 03:07 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good job on book 1, Bobby. I'm just a few songs into book 2 at Light and Blue, where I've stopped temporarily while giving a go at the Clair de Lune from Scratch thread. Guantanamera is a lot of fun. Like AG it is one that you can keep perfecting for quite a while trying to add expression to the song. Ok, back to my Clair.....

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Ok, so I've been dabbling with other styles and stepping away from Book 2 for now, but sure to be back on again very very soon. Here's a recording of GreenSleeves just to try out one style I'm learning now which is the ballad style.

GreenSleeves in Ballad style

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
For future generations of this forum that might be interested, here is Scarborough Fair also played using the ballad style.

Scarborough Fair

G
G
What would the RCM equivalents be at the completion of Alfreds 1, 2 and 3 in terms of playing ability. I know the RCM levels involve more than just the ability to play.

Baldwin Hamilton 243
Q
Q
Still waiting for 2nd book to arrive smirk hopefully it will come soon because its already been taking too much time already. Been working on some other pieces but with minimal success, realizing for most pieces there's a part I can't get past or some places which just doesn't sound right so I just give it up. I guess I just haven't had the motivation, patience or ability to finish them up.

Anyways today I decided to take a sneak peek from an online version of the book, unfortunately was only the basic course. Down the valley was down in like 30mins, easy. Next one I didn't even play because I know it isn't in the all in one and it seemed dull. So now I'm working on Light and Blue the 3rd song in the book, which doesn't seem too hard. But with exams in 2weeks I'm slightly restricted on playing the piano. But hopefully at least the book will arrive soon.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Quagles
Still
Next one I didn't even play because I know it isn't in the all in one and it seemed dull.

I hope you don't mean Tumbalalaika? It's one of the best songs in the entire level 2 in my opinion.

Take a listen here:

Tumbalalaika

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My Book 2 came today! Yes, I know I haven't finished Book 1 yet, and I will try not to cheat and skip ahead, but I just wanted to have it here for inspiration. I've looked through it, and it doesn't look as scary as I expected. At least, not until around P. 90 - Etude, Opus 10, No. 3, and the "Swinging 7th's". And then, of course, Canon in D at the end - that one is truly scary!

Well, if I ever expect to get there, I still have a few scary ones of my own to get through - namely "He's Got the Whole World", "Entertainer", and "Amazing Grace".

Gotta go practice!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
L
L
Hello from a new member, returning to the piano after a long hiatus! I picked up Alfred's Basic Book Two at the music store on Friday. The lady working there recommended the series, and I flipped through them and picked that one, thinking I'd do okay at this level. We'll see how it goes.

I'm doing a bit of final polishing on "Tumbalalaika" and learning "Light and Blue". The finger-under business isn't too hard, but I'm going to have to work on it a bit to make it sound not quite so corny. wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome Lea09. You'll like it around here. Lots of support and helpful tips.

And congrats on your pending new arrival! smile

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 87 of 190 1 2 85 86 87 88 89 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission