2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1961229 09/19/12 05:43 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hello, 
I finally purchased the Kawai CA65. I know I said I would definitely go for the CS6 but when i went back to the shop, they had the CA 65 on display and when I compared the action, I much preferred the Grand Feel on the Kawai CA 65. What a lovely piano. I've had it now for a few weeks and it still amazes me. It's an inspiration. The let off feature is really good, the sounds are superb and it is really smooth. 
Best decision I've made in a long time. Well worth the money. And to think I was so close to purchasing a Yamaha CLP 440. Thank God I found this forum. 

In the recent days I have been playing it, I've noticed a breathy "hush" noise when I push down the sustain pedal. It's not a squeaky noise, it's an internal noise because it comes out from  the speakers and headphones. It is only noticeable from 75+% volume. 
I was wondering if this is normal. 
Is this something that can be adjusted in virtual technician or is my piano just faulty? 

Any help will be welcome. 
Thanks. 

DGX 640 (Sold)
Kawai CA65 (Sold)
Kawai MP7
kangolboy #1961245 09/19/12 06:18 PM
P
P
It is normal.
As far as I know, it is a feature called "damper noise".
You can turn it off and adjust its volume in Virtual Technician settings.
This simulates the noise it's heard in most grand pianos when you press the pedal.

kangolboy #1961258 09/19/12 07:19 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
kangolboy, congratulations on the purchase of your new piano!

Regarding the 'hush' sound you can hear when pressing the damper pedal, Pelota is correct in pointing out that this sound is normal, and can be adjusted using the 'Damper Noise' parameter in the 'Virtual Technician' menu (p.81 of the owner's manual).

The same noise (albeit accentuated for demonstration) can be heard at the 2m:29s point in the video below:

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
kangolboy #1961608 09/20/12 02:21 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Thanks for the replies Pelota and James.
I started to think my piano was just faulty. I managed to sort it out and am happy it is that way. Ended up leaving it on the default setting.

Cheers guys.

DGX 640 (Sold)
Kawai CA65 (Sold)
Kawai MP7
kangolboy #1961696 09/20/12 04:43 PM
L
L
Originally Posted by kangolboy
And to think I was so close to purchasing a Yamaha CLP 440. Thank God I found this forum.  

I'm about to choose between CA65 and CLP440/470. What's wrong in your opinion with the Yamaha?

LP10 #1962490 09/22/12 10:03 AM
K
OP Offline
K

In my opinion,the Yamaha CLP 440 does not come close to the Kawai CA 65. So I won't even make that comparison. 

The CLP 470 is comparable but I think the CA65 is a clear winner because of the following reasons. 
I am an amateur so take my opinion this with a pinch of salt. 

1) In terms of sound, it is very subjective. Some people like the Yamaha sound, others Roland and others Kawai.  Besides, with descent piano softwares out there, you make any piano sound really good. 

2) I think this has got to be the best reason I love Kawai. The action is the best I have ever played on a digital piano and nothing comes close. Yamaha's 'Natural Wood' on the CLP 470 and 480 is ok but nothing like the 'Grand Feel' action on the Kawai. The Grand Feel action is just smooth as butter. And it's quieter too, a lot quieter. 

3) The CA65 has more voices. It has 60 good voices. 

4) The speaker system on the Kawai is much better. Its a 2by 50W
The mid-range registrars on the 470 sound really good but the upper registrars and lower registrars don't sound good. They don't sound authentic. 

I had looked at Yamaha 470 for months and I got professional opinions from people on this forum and some of my friends, and all those that had ever played on the Kawai recommended it. It's just a beautiful instrument. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd have had a 470. At the time, I didn't even know Kawai made DPs. I saw someone's post saying they would rather have the 'RM3 Grand' (which precedes the Grand Feel) than the NW on the higher end CLPs. 

But like I said earlier on, am an amateur. Both instruments are good, so it will ultimately come down to your preference. You need to play test both before you decide. 
Hope this helps. 

DGX 640 (Sold)
Kawai CA65 (Sold)
Kawai MP7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission