2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
...What is the point in highlighting bad moments in professional careers? It seems, at best, a rather puerile pursuit.

Well, for one thing, at least in the case of this thread, it helps increase the number of people in the world who know words like "puerile." ha

Online Content
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I'd hate to see PianoWorld become the same kind of adolescent cesspool of criticism that YouTube has become.

But YouTube isn't moderated. I fail to see the comparison. (And PW is peaches compared to the Radio 3 Forum which is even more heavily moderated.)
I think Kreisler's point was that the topic itself was somewhat juvenile and inappropriate.

I think some posters(seemingly far more frequently those who are not particularly advanced)feel important when they criticize major pianists in immature ways. In my opinion they only look silly doing this.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/17/12 11:19 AM.
Also, I should probably make it clear - I was speaking as a forum member, not as moderator. I have no intentions of taking any moderator actions. I was just voicing my opinion as a regular human being. smile

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by BruceD
...What is the point in highlighting bad moments in professional careers? It seems, at best, a rather puerile pursuit.

Well, for one thing, at least in the case of this thread, it helps increase the number of people in the world who know words like "puerile." ha

True - I'm going to look it up now....... ha

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I agree with the criticism of the thread itself. However, an anecdote associated with this gives another perspective. I am a hi-fi fan so benefit from good quality sound. Many years' ago I was listening to a live recital by Vlado Perlmeuter, whose first group of pieces was the first set of Chopin's Mazurkas. The audience settled down, he played a few bars and came to a halt. The audience quietened. He started again and broke down again. The audience went absolutely quiet. Again he failed. It was so quiet you could hear his footsteps as he left the stage. Cue audience shuffling and coughing, then quiet again as you heard his footsteps back to the piano. Perfect playing.

It was a riveting experience and demonstrates his professionalism. OK, he had a memory lapse, went off for a refresher from the score (presumably) and then delivered a fine performance.

Then there is competition failure, a very brief form of performance collapse. Mercifully brief, on occasion.

I'll bet the young fellow went home and launched into the piece with fury and abandon, perfectly.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
poor guy! frown

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
I don't believe this thread has, by nature, no potential for value; is it not a similar question to asking what is the best performance you have heard? I mean...assuming that the comments are not out of nastiness or puerile, obsessive disillusionment with the point of music and, in general, discussion and the articles pertaining thereto, um, couldn't one say that by discussing the best that one is simply stating, in a more qualitative rather than quantitative sense, what they consider the important factors (which one may try to thereafter improve upon) and likewise by asking for the worst, what to avoid? Just a thought...
Oh, I love that Eisenstein recording by the way; I adore his passion, whether artificial or not.
Xxx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO
I don't believe this thread has, by nature, no potential for value; is it not a similar question to asking what is the best performance you have heard? I mean...assuming that the comments are not out of nastiness or puerile, obsessive disillusionment with the point of music and, in general, discussion and the articles pertaining thereto, um, couldn't one say that by discussing the best that one is simply stating, in a more qualitative rather than quantitative sense, what they consider the important factors (which one may try to thereafter improve upon) and likewise by asking for the worst, what to avoid? Just a thought...
Oh, I love that Eisenstein recording by the way; I adore his passion, whether artificial or not.
Xxx

One can easily consider the important factors of music without highlighting someone's "bad" performances. It creates more negativity than the contrary.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Pogorelich

One can easily consider the important factors of music without highlighting someone's "bad" performances. It creates more negativity than the contrary.

I never said it was the best way, I'm only suggesting that, perhaps, we could try to take the best from the worst, if you will? There's no negativity spare when negativity is intended; an artist should be able admit their faults and we shouldn't feel ashamed for agreeing with them or pointing them out in the first place; I mean, um, when I foul up I don't mind being told so, I don't mind it being mocked even. Maybe I'm hasty in trying to defend views contrary to your own and for that I'm sorry, but...just consider that the negativity may not actually exist for some...

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Probably anything by that gawd-awful Vladimir Feltsman...

B
BDB Offline
B
Abbey Lincoln, past what should have been the end of her career. Very sad!

Semipro Tech
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by FSO
I don't believe this thread has, by nature, no potential for value; is it not a similar question to asking what is the best performance you have heard?

To me, it isn't all that much like asking about the best, because the kind of things that make for a great performance and the kind of things that make for a terrible one aren't really the same type of thing, at least not for the most part.

The performance I think of as the worst I've ever heard was the worst because the performer kept giving concerts even after the deterioration of old age had totally wrecked his ability to play. How that would constructively relate to the opposite question - what is the best performance I've ever heard - is difficult for me to wrap my mind around.

But there is one possible interesting comparison between the two ideas that comes to mind - I do have a strong "worst concert" candidate, but I don't have a clear winner in the "best concert" category.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
the worst live performance I ever heard was me.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

You stole my answer!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FSO
Originally Posted by Pogorelich

I never said it was the best way, I'm only suggesting that, perhaps, we could try to take the best from the worst, if you will? There's no negativity spare when negativity is intended; an artist should be able admit their faults and we shouldn't feel ashamed for agreeing with them or pointing them out in the first place; I mean, um, when I foul up I don't mind being told so, I don't mind it being mocked even. Maybe I'm hasty in trying to defend views contrary to your own and for that I'm sorry, but...just consider that the negativity may not actually exist for some...

I never said you said it was the best way. I'm just saying that, um, perhaps we can focus on learning from positive things, instead of searching for holes in others' playing? No one is saying artists shouldn't admit to their faults, we all have faults, we're only human after all. Well, I don't know. I guess some people get pleasure out of watching others fall. Makes us feel superior and in control, hmm? Basic human nature.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato

You stole my answer!

You've heard dolce play? That wasn't a nice thing to say!

Just kidding, and I completely agree with your thoughts about the negativity of looking for others' faults.

-J

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Haha, I am never nice.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Haha, I am never nice.

Lies!!! :P

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A graduate recital by a piano student at the Cleveland Institute of Music - who has no business even studying there much less graduating.

Oh, you mean by a well known pianist. Probably Claudio Arrau in Boston in the late-1980s. He got lost in Beethoven's Op. 10, No. 3 and sleptwalked through the rest. Even my piano professor, an Arrau partisan, thought it was time for Arrau to turn in his keys.

Last edited by Hank Drake; 09/19/12 01:28 PM.

Hank Drake

Admin: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VladimirHorowitzPianist

The composers want performers be imaginative, in the direction of their thinking--not just robots, who execute orders.
George Szell
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission