2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1948728 08/24/12 08:54 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I have looked at Hailun's a couple of months ago. Then thought I'd just go the "safe" route of Kawai K3 or Yamaha U1. Now, I just can't get past the price of Kawai's and hoping to spend less. The Hailun dealer is 2 hours away so now I'm researching Hailun uprights - H1P and H5P - via internet before I go back to the store.

I haven't run across bad reviews but when there seems to be one, seems like posters PM each other so I don't know what is said. I've also read here that Hailun's are a good bang for your buck due to them being newer in the market. What about today? Seems like prices are going up. Are they still a good deal? What would be a fair price for a Hailun H1P and H5P?

Thanks for any information you can share with me.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Prices have gone up, but they've gone up on Asian makes across the board. Hailun certainly still carries very good pricing in relation to general competition. I'll only point to the general pricing info you may have already come across...The Piano Buyer online guide.

Pricing of the H1P to H5P is a smaller difference than Kawai K3 to K5. They are generally of the same quality of components and features. There are a lot of differences between the K3 and K5.

Part of the Hailun cost difference is the cabinet styling on the H5P...rounded arms, beveled lid, etc. With the added height, most people prefer the H5P...it is an upgrade of musical output, not manufacturing input if that makes any sense.

Also, relative to older pricing, the H1 -> H1P and H5 -> H5P which were component upgrades as well as cost upgrades. The "P" models have only been available in the last couple of years which would not be reflected in much older pricing.

Call your dealer ahead of your visit in hopes that they will be fresh for you.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for your response PianoWorks. Also, thanks for the clarification between H1 and H5. I believe the price difference at the store is $3-400 so it may seem worth the upgrade for a musical output upgrade although I'll have to see what the final cost will be. : )

Great idea, I will call the dealer ahead of time so he can get the pianos ready for my visit. Planning to make a visit some time in September.

M
OP Offline
M
This weekend I will be checking out the Hailun pianos again and have called the dealer to let them know I'm coming.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Let us know your thoughts. In spite of rising costs, I am very pleased with the quality for the money that the Hailun piano represents.

Good Luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
M
OP Offline
M
Saw the Hailuns...they had a mahogany and walnut HU-1P on the floor. The black HU-5P was already sold. I liked the walnut finish which I wanted to see in person. Would have liked to hear the HU-5P but based on Sam's comment, we decided to buy the HU-5P for the musicality output for $300 extra. I probably won't notice the difference but hoping we'll hear it in the years to come.

The Walnut HU-5P we ordered is coming in from the warehouse and the dealer will prep it before it delivers to us. Our son will be very surprised when it shows up at our house. Can't wait!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Congrats! Hailun's walnut is very pretty. We just ordered a walnut 178 grand for a customer.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
J
J
congratulations! Please post pictures when it arrives.

M
OP Offline
M
Thanks! I will definitely take pictures and post. This forum has been very helpful.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have looked at Hailun's a couple of months ago. Then thought I'd just go the "safe" route of Kawai K3 or Yamaha U1. Now, I just can't get past the price of Kawai's and hoping to spend less.

Hi Mbellephan,

Congratulations on your purchase.

I'm a Kawai dealer, therefore I'm interesting in knowing what price you were quote for the K3? and how much you were saving with the Hailun 48"?

Please let us know.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/16/12 07:20 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Mbellephan,

Congratulations on your new HU-5P. It's a very nice piano. Having played the HU-1P and the HU-5P, on two separate occasions at two different dealerships, I think the difference is certainly worth the very minor cost increase. The difference is easy to hear. And, the walnut is very beautiful!

You will enjoy your new piano for years to come.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
I'm a Kawai dealer, therefore I'm interesting in knowing what price you were quote for the K3? and how much you were saving with the Hailun 48"?

Please let us know.

I don't think this is an appropriate querry in a public forum.

Marty in Minnesota

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Marty,

I don't think playing netcop after four months on the forum is appropriate either. People disclose their buying prices here all the time. Mbellephan can decide whether or not to reveal the price as suits her.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
J
J
Kurt,

How about you tell Mbellephan what you would have sold them a K3 for and they will tell you if you would have gotten the business?

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Alford; 09/17/12 11:14 AM.
KurtZ #1960092 09/17/12 11:04 AM

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Marty,

I don't think playing netcop after four months on the forum is appropriate either. People disclose their buying prices here all the time. Mbellephan can decide whether or not to reveal the price as suits her.

Kurt

I don't see anything wrong with disclosing prices either. What struck me was that it was a dealer asking to disclose a competetitor's quote on a model which wasn't even purchased.

My time here, as stated, does not reflect when I actually joined Piano World. Due to computer changes and different ISP's, I was unable to restore my original membership, which pre-dates your own. This necessitated a change from "Marty in Minnesota" to "Minnesota Marty" as a screen name. My signature line has always remained:

Marty in Minnesota

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alford
Kurt,

How about you tell Mbellephan what you would have sold them a K3 for and they will tell you if you would have gotten the business?

Jonathan

How dare you say, "How dare you!" to my saying of "How dare you!" to Marty's saying of "How dare you!" to Kurtmen.

Marty may be sensitive to what he perceives as inappropriate behavior on another poster's part. I'm sensitive to what in the old days (you know, 8 years ago) we called net-copping. That is, non-mods telling others what they should or shouldn't post. Kurtmen asked a question. If it was out of AUP, that's for a mod to decide. If it makes Mbellephan uncomfortable, she, as a grown up can either say so or simply not respond. If other dealers feel it crosses a line of professional conduct, let them say their peace as they see fit. What I see as being more fair and more interesting would be that Marty discuss the issue or ask Kurtmen just what it was he hoped to gain from his inquiry instead of positioning himself as arbiter of acceptable behavior for dealers on this board; a job again best left to other dealers and the mod's. Failing that, as a grown up, he could just ignore the posts he doesn't like.

So what about my reducto ad-absurdem first line? In the hierarchy of outrage, I believe my defense or free, open discussion trumps personal opinion moralizing. May the mods have mercy on my on-line soul.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
KurtZ #1960182 09/17/12 02:02 PM
J
J
Originally Posted by KurtZ
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alford
Kurt,

Jonathan

How dare you say, "How dare you!" to my saying of "How dare you!" to Marty's saying of "How dare you!" to Kurtmen.

Marty may be sensitive to what he perceives as inappropriate behavior on another poster's part. I'm sensitive to what in the old days (you know, 8 years ago) we called net-copping. That is, non-mods telling others what they should or shouldn't post. Kurtmen asked a question. If it was out of AUP, that's for a mod to decide. If it makes Mbellephan uncomfortable, she, as a grown up can either say so or simply not respond. If other dealers feel it crosses a line of professional conduct, let them say their peace as they see fit. What I see as being more fair and more interesting would be that Marty discuss the issue or ask Kurtmen just what it was he hoped to gain from his inquiry instead of positioning himself as arbiter of acceptable behavior for dealers on this board; a job again best left to other dealers and the mod's. Failing that, as a grown up, he could just ignore the posts he doesn't like.

So what about my reducto ad-absurdem first line? In the hierarchy of outrage, I believe my defense or free, open discussion trumps personal opinion moralizing. May the mods have mercy on my on-line soul.

Kurt

Kurt,

I believe I got my Kurt and Kurtmen mixed up. I was suggesting that Kurtmen post his price of the K3. I believe I caught you on the cross-fire - sorry!

Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Alford; 09/17/12 02:04 PM. Reason: tab key got me again

If really interested in "price", a private pm to OP would have been perhaps more appropriate...

Norbert

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have looked at Hailun's a couple of months ago. Then thought I'd just go the "safe" route of Kawai K3 or Yamaha U1. Now, I just can't get past the price of Kawai's and hoping to spend less. The Hailun dealer is 2 hours away so now I'm researching Hailun uprights - H1P and H5P - via internet before I go back to the store.

I don't see why honesty should be punished with condescending remarks.
I stated clearly that I'm a Kawai dealer. I stated clearly what I was looking for.
Like any other user of the Forum, one of my objectives is research.

I simply want to know the price of the K3 and the price of the Hailun quoted to the OP. As the original poster already stated the lower price was the motivation to take a two hours drive to try a Hailun.

I'm just doing a simple marketing research to find out how much less she was about to pay in order to buy the Hailun over the K3. In a way this not beneficial for the Kawai dealers; as a future potential buyer may read these lines and find-out that for less money they can buy a very nice Hailun over a Kawai.
What is wrong with that?

The fact that somebody reveals the price paid would not any richer or poorer the Kawai or Hailun dealers.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 09/17/12 07:08 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I publicly thank my mother for teaching me manners about asking others how much they paid for something. Disclosure is different than inquiry when it comes to purchase.

Marty in Minnesota

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission