2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Spring Into Sound Sale
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (brdwyguy, Carey, Charles Cohen, Bill McKaig,RPT, c++, antune, 17 invisible), 463 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1958821 09/14/12 11:54 AM
B
BenO Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Does anyone know if aftertouch is available on the HP302, and if so how to activate it? This would be for a modelled piano sound running on my mac.

O
O
I don't see it in the specs anywhere very few digital pianos have aftertouch in my findings, thats relegated to the synth/workstation world for the most part. To activate aftertouch, you simply press a little harder and hold the note to activate it, for instance; i play a piano note on a key, instead of releasing i hold the note while pressing a little harder and a string sound comes in. Best of luck in your search!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If the Roland DID have aftertouch (in the MIDI/digital sense), I wonder why you'd use it for modelled piano sound? Acoustic pianos don't have this form of aftertouch, and a modelled piano library won't have it either.

I guess the confusion arises because the term aftertouch can be used to mean completely several completely different things.

On a digital, as origen points out, some keyboards have pressure sensitivity, which can be useful when using the MIDI output to drive MIDI instruments that are pressure sensitive. I've never seen one ... probably because such keyboards are used as workstations. That's a completely different music market, one which gets little mention on this board.

But on an acoustic, aftertouch means something different. It's the change in key feel after hammer let-off takes place. This may influence the pianist's sensibilities, but it does not affect the sound. Only a digital piano with an acoustic-like action can have this form of aftertouch. That (mostly) relegates it the Yamaha N series.

Most digital pianos, it seems, have neither form of aftertouch.

Indeed, there is not after touch on the HP-302 - it's a digital piano, not a synth.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, I can vouch for that as the HP 302 is my piano and as a matter of fact, I have felt the need for it once or twice since I got this instrument, but only when I've been playing other instrument from the HP302 table such as electric guitars, horns and various 'synths'.

But of course this is a piano, not a synth or arranger keyboard (workstation).

The same applies to other performance controls like pitch and modulation wheels. Much as they might come in handy from time to time, you can't really expect a digital piano to have them, and I don't think any of the major pianos on the market do have performance controls other than velocity sensitive keys and the now-normal quota of three pedals.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by BenO
Does anyone know if aftertouch is available on the HP302, and if so how to activate it? This would be for a modelled piano sound running on my mac.

The word "aftertouch" when used to describe a MIDI keyboard means that after the key has bottomed out you can apply more or less pressure while holding the key down and this pressure modifies the sound. Most keyboards that have this feature have an "assignable" aftertouch which means that what is modified can be assigned be be say vibrato or maybe a pitch shift.

Aftertouch of any kind is NOT a feature of any piano. Pianos just do not act that way. On an acoustic piano the hammer is detached from the key and continues to fly on its own into the string and "aftertouch" would be useless on a disconnected key.

The HP302 is designed to closely emulate an acoustic piano even to the point of being painted like an acoustic piano. So Roland is not going to add key action features that are totally foreign to pianists. I think Roland does have aftertouch on the Juno. Juno does not even try to be a piano.

One question: What would the piano software do with the aftertouch data? Pianos can't "bend" notes.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by toddy
...The same applies to other performance controls like pitch and modulation wheels. Much as they might come in handy from time to time, you can't really expect a digital piano to have them....

I disagree on this. many stage pianos have something like a control wheel. For example the Yamaha CP300 or the stick on a Roland. I think it is a marketing thing. The home type pianos are sold to people who want the "look" of and acoustic so they remove most of the controls. The stage pianos are sold to a different market not so concerned with the cosmetics of an array of buttons and LEDs. When you look at numbers sold, the ones with mod wheel may even be in the majority

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yep - was forgetting about the stage pianos like CP5 and RD700. Of course they have other performance controls like pitch bend and mod wheel. As such, they are much more than just 'stage pianos' and can be described as piano/master keyboards.

I stand corrected.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
[Poll] Which exercise book do you do and why?
by meghdad - 04/11/21 10:23 AM
Recording Acoustic Piano
by JeffM123 - 04/11/21 10:14 AM
Budget Stage/portable Piano
by Amy H - 04/11/21 09:11 AM
1990 Bosendorfer 130 upright
by Martin Solo - 04/11/21 06:29 AM
Qualities Required for Piano
by Qazsedcft - 04/11/21 02:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,218
Posts3,081,065
Members101,150
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission