2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 286 of 370 1 2 284 285 286 287 288 369 370
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wayne, I’m glad to see you are interested in Mikrokosmos wink.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by zrtf90
It's getting late over here. This seems appropriate.

I used to play the trumpet in the school band. This man was an inspiration for me. Oh Mein Papa was the first non-Beatles song I learnt by ear. This is another hit from the man with the golden trumpet.

1. Richard, I wish to personally thank you (a bit late) for NOT posting "Oh Mein Papa"....

2. Griffin:
[Linked Image]

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Hya Dudes and Dudettes, today we kick off with RST members performances of Phillip Glass' Metamorphosis series one through to five.

Recaredo chose Metamorphosis One, and here is what he had to say about his experience and journey with it.

"This piece has inspired me a sort of time travel, since the childhood to some age where the human being can find his fate. Surely this fate will be uncertain, but I believe the human being desires to reach it as much as he loves his own existence.

For the video, I chose these paintings that were painted by my father long time ago, because always I have found them extremely suggestive, and they reflect quite well my idea of this music.

I hope you like it.

I’m looking forward to listening to the rest of the pieces!!"

Last edited by Rostosky; 09/16/12 06:30 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
It was Wayne who started this whole journey off for us, he was the one who originally posted the met pieces up that he found, going on to provide the sheet music for us, Thanks wayne it has been truly magical.

Wayne picked metamorphosis two as his piece, and this is what he has to say about it....

"I first came accross Philip Glass' Metamorphosis part 2 on youtube. I liked it because of it's simple structure, beauty and WOW factor.

Then I listened to Branka Parlic Perform Mets 1 - 5 and became addicted lol. So started out playing the Metamorphosis easy-bit mash-up! Until Dipsey's challange to play Met 2 Seriously.

The challenging bits for me were the arps, I've never played these before, so it made sense to aquire the new skill. (Bars 38 & 56 were definatly the hardest)

I'm not totally happy with my performance, and at times felt like giving up, but I guess if you work hard at what you can't do, you will get there in the end. Maybe in 12 months time, I might beable to play it properly. If it wasn't for working together, it would have certainly ended up in my "to finish" pile. smile. Thnx Guys.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WzSHsGW77N0[/video]

Last edited by Rostosky; 09/16/12 06:36 AM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
One of our resident newest members to wear the RST badge is Dipsy, Not only did she have to learn her own piece Metamorphosis Three, but had to suffer me learning mine at the same time!! So it may have been twice as hard for her to concentrate!!

This is what Dipsy has to say about her experience with Metamorphosis Three.

"I've played the piano before to amuse myself sight reading til it got difficult, learn to play a piece with technical accuracy for a piano exam, or to get some emotion 'out of my system'.
So preparing met 3 was totally different because it needed me to decide for myself how to interpret it, and develop an ability to project the music to a potentially big online audience. I didn't know how to go about it, but as I could sightread, and it seemed very simple. I just played it over and over without giving much thought to interpretation, til much later when I asked advice, and I'm not completely happy with the result. I actually got bored with the music as time went on because it is very repetitive. I hadn't put effort into how to interpret the music. Having said that I've hugely enjoyed this experience - feeling part of a team and sharing our progress as we went along.
Getting a decent recording was difficult, as I'd little technical know how and I felt helpless. But we persevered and completed the task to my relief (at one point it seemed as though there would be no recording at all!).
I've learned a lot about myself like how I need to be more thorough and disciplined when learning a piece (if things get hard I often give up) and how important its been for me to be doing this with others to ensure I complete the task. I'll be doing Satie's Gymnopedie no 2 next! "

Last edited by Rostosky; 09/16/12 06:42 AM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I chose Met four, why you may ask? Believe me over the net few weeks of choosing it, I asked myself the same question over and over, I thought I had got it at one point, only to find out off Dipsys' dad that I most certainly hadn't and had to start at the begining again, beginners errors in abundance!!

Through this journey of met 4, I have felt every emotion possible, depression at not getting it right and believing I never would, confusion aplenty , elation at minor successes, and even anger at myself for messing up the what should be the simple bits once I had got them right.

Then came the recording problems, I wanted so much to record it on the 1830's collard and collard grand that resides in carmarthen museum and that I am allowed to play, this piano was once played by the polish pianist pederewski, and as Phillip glass is jewish, I thought it would be apt.

However it is in a stone walled room with a vaulted ceiling and try as I might I could not get it to record, it kept topping out the sound on my camcorder and bounced off every wall over and over..

I chose met four because it is more than the sum off the two parts ( bass and treble clef) when you practice the bass clef you just hear that.
When you practice the treble, you just hear that.

When they go together correctly in the arpeggio section, you get to hear a wonderfull "third voice" and that was what inspired me to even attempt it.

Enough prattling, except to say The red dot of the camcorder freaks me right out and my hands sometimes shake..

For that reason, at the end I have included some out takes and a "Bonus" Klezmer variation that I made up to show how relaxed I am when it doesnt matter anymore!!!!

Last edited by Rostosky; 09/16/12 06:56 AM.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
And last but certainly not least is Rupak perfoming Metamorhosis Five, which brings this Metamorphosis series full circle to completion...

This is what Rupak has to say about his personal journey..

"Firstly, the difficulties that I faced. I think the rhythmic beats was not too hard for me, because my little knowledge and lessons in Tabla helped me a lot to grow some rhythm sense. But I'm not sure, maybe I've overlooked the difficulties smile The cross-handing was a completely new thing to me, so it did took a while to make it right. Another problem that I often face due to the lack of formal training is playing octaves. Often my finger either don't stretch out completely or it slips. Consequently, I had to take special care about playing the octaves that come along with the left hand 2-beats rhythm.

I do like this piece (maybe there are some degrees of liking, for example, I like met 4 more grin, still I like it). Because it's the strange chord combination and rhythm structure that make this piece really unique. All the met pieces have some sort of hypnotic and surrealistic effects."

Last edited by Rostosky; 09/16/12 07:03 AM.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
What a great effort (and success) from all of you!

When I heard about the upcoming "concert", I listened to Branka Parlic playing these pieces and ... I confess, it isn't the type of music that I wish to play, but I became very curious to see how fellow ABFers would do on these pieces.

I think the repetitiveness of them must make them easy in some ways, but hard in others.... how to keep your place when there are so many similar parts??? Some of the arpeggios I know would defeat me - I admire the persistence and the hours of practice and study that went into these performances.

Ricaredo -- bravo! Well done. I think you did a great job on bringing out the dynamics of this piece. I've been following your piano journey for a while now, and I really enjoy seeing how you've progressed and developed new skills and techniques! I also enjoyed seeing your father's paintings.

Wayne - great work --- you look so relaxed and "in the zone". You made this look easy to play.
I think it is quite something that your enthusiasm for this music spurred you to work and learn new skills to be able to play it. Congratulations on your performance!

Dipsy, I have to say that I agree with you... the repetitiveness of the piece (all of these pieces actually) would make it hard for me to stay interested in learning them. I see your point about the interpetation making all the difference, yet still... I know I'd have trouble with these pieces.

I think that you've done a really good job here - plus the acoustics in the church are quite something and add an extra dimension to the dynamics which is lovely.

I could definitely follow a sense of mood changes and energy differences throughout the piece, so even if you aren't completely satisfied with your performance, it was a stirring one. I like the energy you put into it. I also like the fact that you learned something about yourself from working with this music. I guess that's a type of metamorphosis in itself, isn't it?

Rossy, Well done!! I love the energy you put into and pulled out of this music! Again, I think I'd go bonkers trying to learn it, so I'm full of admiration for what you've done. It must have been frustrating to re-learn things you'd misinterpreted, but wow, what satisfaction to end up playing such a long piece so very well.
I listened to your out take, and it seemed a bit richer and fuller - probably because you were more relaxed. I didn't understand the reference to the "Klezmer" variation you did, but it sounded great.

Rupak, last but not least. Lovely job on this one! I too have trouble with octaves... you managed them very nicely. You've got a very delicate but precise touch and your voicing of the dynamics was really well done.

I agree with the idea that there is something a bit hypnotic about these pieces. At one point I was wondering how they would be for background music for meditation.....

Congratulations Recaredo, Wayne, Dipsy, Rossy, and Rupak. This concert is a wonderful achievement for all of you.

I can truthfully say that I enjoyed your performances more than those of the professional --- the fact that you're all fellow forumites just adds such a special dimension to these pieces that increased my listening pleasure several-fold.

Well done one and all --- COMPLIMENTI!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
I just started listening to Recaredo and Wayne's recordings and am eager to hear all of them. So far I am very impressed and moved by the efforts you've both put into your performances. I will be back later today after I've had a chance to listen to the presentations in their entirety.

What a treat for me to get to just listen to some fine piano music of my RST buddies! Thanks! smile

Carl

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
BRAVO Recaredo, Wayne, Dipsy, Rossy, and Rupak!!! thumb

I'm on my second listen to all of these performances already. It is clear a lot of hard work was done on everyone's performance, and it comes through beautifully. I applaud each one of you because you give much attention to the dynamics. These are particularly important when you're playing pieces like Philip Glass compositions. Without careful attention to these details, his pieces could have been boring and repetitive. That was not the case in any of your presentations.

I was first introduced to Philip Glass when I heard his score to the film, "Koyaanisqatsi." I've always loved the film and score. How wonderful to hear his works for the piano! Thanks for presenting them. I am really excited to hear your next set of performances.

Also, thanks again for making Sunday even more enjoyable by letting me just listen and enjoy! smile

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Congratulations to all the glazed participants in the Metamorphosis recital.

As well as five individual performances by each of you this is collectively an achievement that is greater than the sum of its parts.

Well done, everyone!

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks so much Cheryl, Griffin and Richard for listening and for your kind words, they are so much appreciated.

I’d like to say that it has been a real pleasure for me to participate in this project together with Wayne, Dipsy, Rossy and Rupak. This has been my first teamwork on the piano, and it’s been amazing. I had my hard time learning Met 1, but this effort was worth it. Definitely, teamwork on the piano is a fantastic experience that I can't recommend highly enough.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That was fabulous!

I didn't listen to the met pieces before this point (yes I'm one of those, I learn without hearing it first, enjoy first performances the most.)

Very beautiful music! I can't imagine how much time you all had to put into practice to make these sound so wonderful!

I also agree, the sum of it's parts made this even sweeter! Thank you everyone for giving of yourselves for us to enjoy!

smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanx so much for the positive feedback guys, really appreciate you spending your time listenin' to our efforts!

I can't wait for the next one, Gnossienne 1 is ACE! smile

Last edited by wayne33yrs; 09/16/12 07:41 PM.
R
R
Lots of thanks to Cheryl, Griffin, Richard and Becca for listening and appreciating our teamwork! It's the best reward for us to have all of your kind words and encouragements.

It was an wonderful experience for me to learn a piece together. A very special and sincere thanks goes to Wayne, of course. I was a bit hesitated to join at first, so Wayne had some trouble for quite some time to get a volunteer for met 5 laugh But now I'm so happy that I can't wait to get ready for our next recital smile

Its great to get such encouraging feedback from you - thanks Cheryl, Griffin, Richard and Becca, I'm glad you enjoyed our contributions! I also feel that we've grown through this experience, extending ourselves beyond our comfort zones, by working together towards a common goal.

Satie's Gymnopedies and gnossiennes will be next (for November) though gymnopedie no 2, and Gnossiennes no 1 and 3 are already taken. It would be lovely if we could have enough people to perform all of these pieces (10), so if you're interested in taking part, we'd love you to join us! It'll be fun. Promise!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Great job everyone! What a fun project, sort of a recital with a theme. The playing was excellent by everyone.

But I can't listen to very much Glass music without getting glassy-eyed. It is so boring and repetitious. Sorry. It doesn't help that the pieces are related and have a lot of the same material. It's not your playing, honest. I think I may have dozed off at one point.

Satie is better, but even his music is more wallpaper than a decorating highlight. Only one of the Satie pieces is worth listening too (just my opinion). But I will listen if you let me know when.

By the way, you will get many more people listening and commenting if you do these projects as a subset of the ABF recitals - the next one is in November...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Afternoon all, I just want to say a final thankyou to Recaredo, Dipsey, Rossy and Rupak for making this possible, CHEERS!!!

I think I actually prefer posting our recitals on RST, what do others think?

smile

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne33yrs
Afternoon all, I just want to say a final thankyou to Recaredo, Dipsey, Rossy and Rupak for making this possible, CHEERS!!!

I think I actually prefer posting our recitals on RST, what do others think?

smile

How about posting on both RST and a separate thread as a sub file of the November recital? Last April I posted the video of my Rhapsody in both the RST thread, and a separate thread. That way folks who do not regularly visit the RST thread have an opportunity to view it. I don't recall any problems with this.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
You beat me too it Wayne, I just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL to Recaredo,Wayne,Dipsey, and (Not me! lol) Rupak for making this all possible.

And to Griffin, zrt, sam, becca, and cheryl ( casinitaly) and everyone else who listened in, for support and encouragement, thanks all round are in order.

I agree with you wayne, here on RST we invented The "complete series recital" on ABF so I think its a good place to post our efforts!! It's quieter and more intimate!!

also, we are not in it for the fame and glory! ( joke.. lol)

Page 286 of 370 1 2 284 285 286 287 288 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission